Are my extracurriculars good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palibabiix13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I want to know if my extracurriculars are good enough. I am applying this cycle and just want to make sure I am doing enough.

1) President/cofounder of a international relief chapter at my university. Organized local events and planning a trip abroad
2) Research:oops:rganic chemistry synthesis. I have been conducting research for about 7 months and am still working on it
3) Research: just started another research project and have received money from the NSF. We are hoping to publish our findings inDecember
4) Scribe: 400hours (still scribing)
5) Volunteered at a local hospital (100 hours)
6) volunteered at a hospital 5 years ago (300 hours)
7) Substitute lecturer at my university (cell biology topics)
8) Private tutor

I feel like I may be lacking on the volunteering. I was planning on going to a volunteer clinic abroad, but I don't know if I am going to be able to afford it. Do you think I have done enough? (not that I am only doing these things to get not med school, I love everything I'm doing)

A little background about my grades, I currently have a 4.0 GPA and have yet to take my MCAT. My dream is to go to Cornell Medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

You're right, you are lacking in volunteering, but why on earth must it be abroad? Millions of people in our own communties that need help, find one of those and do it, soup kitchens are an example. That, and many, many adcoms discredit those internation medical missions trips, "voluntourism".

Your hospital volunteering and scribing are more than sufficient for clinical experiences. Also, have you done any shadowing?

You're right, you are lacking in volunteering, but why on earth must it be abroad? Millions of people in our own communties that need help, find one of those and do it, soup kitchens are an example. That, and many, many adcoms discredit those internation medical missions trips, "voluntourism".

Your hospital volunteering and scribing are more than sufficient for clinical experiences. Also, have you done any shadowing?

Yes, I have shadowed a Cardiologist. I work with a surgeon at an outpatient wound clinic. I am his scribe so I have I view that as a shadowing experience because I only work for him as opposed to scribing for many doctors.

I never really thought of volunteering abroad like that. I will look into working more in my community. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user