Are my extracurriculars good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you read, I do know that many of mine are for a short time, and spread out. There are two reasons for that. First, is that I plan on studying abroad second semester junior year. Second, I feel like I would be able to explain it because it has helped me experience many different fields, and it has shown I want to be a doctor because throughout everything, I still want to be a doctor more than anything.

I am a second semester sophomore, and these are the extracurricular activities I will have by the time I apply.

Ethics Bowl Team -- Basically a public policy debate team, 10 hrs a week, for all of sophomore year and first semester junior year, and all of senior year. My school has a national championship winning team.

Creation v. Evolution Project --- Exploring the use of podcasts as a good teaching medium for the creation v. evolution controversy. 3 hours a week, sophomore year and first semester junior year.

Center for Academic Integrity --- Leading a group whose purpose is to create a new logo and brochure for the center. Second semester sophomore year, 2 hours a week.

Portfolio --- Evaluating the different courses which fill the ethical requirements of the portfolio required at my school.

Intramural Soccer - Sophomore year, first semester junior year and senior year

Forest Activities Club - Co-Executive, working to increase student awareness of the experimental forest my school has. We organize activities in the forest, clean up dates, etc. We also tried to get more money for the forest, which was stalled due to budget cuts.

Presidents list or deans list every semester
Intercultural Achievement Award --- grades

Shadowing doctor - Summer after sophomore year, probably like 25 hours a week.

Volunteering - Community Center near my school, 3 hours a week, starting Second Semester Sophomore Year

Research - Summer after Freshman year, possible publication where I would be first or second author, and 40 hours a week.

Guitar - probably about 1-2 hours a week for every semester since Freshman Year

Maybe a position in the Judicial Branch of the Student Government, not for sure though.

Maybe I will try to join a volunteer organization or something like that, not sure though, is that necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Didn't see any volunteering in a clinical setting in there... Might want to add that.

IMO, nothing really jumps out or separates you from the average applicant. Clinical experience is a must. You have plenty of time to improve, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, nothing really jumps out or separates you from the average applicant. Clinical experience is a must. You have plenty of time to improve, good luck.

Really? I was really hoping the ethics bowl thing would be the thing to separate me from everyone else, as that is by far the single activity which I can say has allowed me to get the most out of my time at college. It has helped boost my communication skills and my critical thinking ability greatly.

Also, a lot of my extracurriculars kind of point toward the Center for Academic Integrity and the ethics in general, so I was hoping that this would kind of separate me out.

Do I have to have volunteering and does it need to be in the clinical field?

Before you read, I do know that many of mine are for a short time, and spread out. There are two reasons for that. First, is that I plan on studying abroad second semester junior year. Second, I feel like I would be able to explain it because it has helped me experience many different fields, and it has shown I want to be a doctor because throughout everything, I still want to be a doctor more than anything.

I am a second semester sophomore, and these are the extracurricular activities I will have by the time I apply.

Ethics Bowl Team -- Basically a public policy debate team, 10 hrs a week, for all of sophomore year and first semester junior year, and all of senior year. My school has a national championship winning team.

Creation v. Evolution Project --- Exploring the use of podcasts as a good teaching medium for the creation v. evolution controversy. 3 hours a week, sophomore year and first semester junior year.

Center for Academic Integrity --- Leading a group whose purpose is to create a new logo and brochure for the center. Second semester sophomore year, 2 hours a week.

Portfolio --- Evaluating the different courses which fill the ethical requirements of the portfolio required at my school.

Intramural Soccer - Sophomore year, first semester junior year and senior year

Forest Activities Club - Co-Executive, working to increase student awareness of the experimental forest my school has. We organize activities in the forest, clean up dates, etc. We also tried to get more money for the forest, which was stalled due to budget cuts.

Presidents list or deans list every semester
Intercultural Achievement Award --- grades

Shadowing doctor - Summer after sophomore year, probably like 25 hours a week.

Research - Summer after Freshman year, possible publication where I would be first or second author, and 40 hours a week.

Guitar - probably about 1-2 hours a week for every semester since Freshman Year

Maybe a position in the Judicial Branch of the Student Government, not for sure though.

Maybe I will try to join a volunteer organization or something like that, not sure though, is that necessary?

Nobody will care about any of these ('cept maybe the 25 hours of physician shadowing).

Here is the secret formula: make As, do well on the MCAT, and get going on some meaningful clinical activities...

As to your last (bolded) question: good lord, YES it is necessary.

I just set up volunteering at the community center near my school for 3 hours a week, and I will continue this probably for at least a year, so I will have volunteering. I am also going to have shadowing for sure this summer, whilst studying for the MCAT. So with these two, do you all think I am good enough with my extracurriculars?

It's great that you plan on volunteering at a community center. I think it's very important that people have volunteer experiences beyond a medical setting. It shows you have interests other than medicine and that you have a vested interest in the community in which you live.

But, having said that, I do really think you need some clinical volunteering. The only exposure you have to the medical field right now is shadowing and most schools are looking for more exposure than that. Plus, one volunteer activity is not really that outstanding. I suggest you find a volunteer position in a medical setting in addition to the community center. Most hospitals look for volunteers, and I have friends that had great experiences working at free clinics. I'd say look into that.

Your other activities are interesting and I do think the ethics thing probably will give you some interesting things to talk about in your PS and during interviews. Keep it up and good luck! :luck:

I agree with SB25 and others. You need face-to-face interaction with sick people. How else will you know if you're a germophobe, faint at the sight of blood, can stand the odor of hospital disinfectants, or get grossed out by vomit? You must have evidence on your application that you've thoroughly explored medicine as a career. They won't take you seriously otherwise.

If you branch out into bioethics (maybe take a class), I think that would be interesting to admission committee members.

So do you all think one summer spending like 20 hours a week shadowing is not enough clinical experience?

So do you all think one summer spending like 20 hours a week shadowing is not enough clinical experience?

I have 50 hours of shadowing, TOTAL. This is also the extent of the clinical experience on my application. It hasn't hurt me any. I would guess you're fine.