Are my grades good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanAmPremed

CAD > USD - It's true :D
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice here. I am so worried about my marks for my pre req. Here they are:

Calculus: A+
Chem1: B
Chem 2: B+
Bio: C
O-Chem: Yet to be taken
Phys: Yet to be taken

So as you can see Biology first year is my weak point. Will this really hurt me with admissions to medschools. I plan to apply to pretty much all of the school in the states of Mich, Ill, and NY. I believe my overall GPA by the time I apply will be atleast 3.5 (as I am switching from the Biology program to the Psychology program ---) REALLY EASY :smuggrin: ). So basically what I'm asking is, will this one grade be my downfall as I really don't want to have to take it again as it is quite a dull course :rolleyes: ?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine if you do get the GPA close to a 3.5 by the time you apply, and if you try to keep the Cs to a minimum...a few are fine, but too many will do major damage to your science GPA especially if you will be doing a non-science major (few courses to factor in).

Also, if your grades go up over time...you will be great! They like to see improvement over time instead of a steady slope down. :luck:
CanadianPremed said:
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice here. I am so worried about my marks for my pre req. Here they are:

Calculus: A+
Chem1: B
Chem 2: B+
Bio: C
O-Chem: Yet to be taken
Phys: Yet to be taken

So as you can see Biology first year is my weak point. Will this really hurt me with admissions to medschools. I plan to apply to pretty much all of the school in the states of Mich, Ill, and NY. I believe my overall GPA by the time I apply will be atleast 3.5 (as I am switching from the Biology program to the Psychology program ---) REALLY EASY :smuggrin: ). So basically what I'm asking is, will this one grade be my downfall as I really don't want to have to take it again as it is quite a dull course :rolleyes: ?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools like to see a steady of progression of grades just as much as they like to see good grades. The freshman year of college is hard for many students, and many students don't do that well their first semester or even their first year. Med schools understand this. What you have to show them is that you have recognized what you did wrong your 1st semester, and get increasingly higher grades your next semseter. When they look at your transcript, they will truly see your academic growth. Basically what I'm saying is that your first year grades aren't going to kill you that much, just try not to get anymore C's, and show that you can rebound from low grades. Keep your GPA above a 3.5.

My grades aren't that far off yours but I really trying to get them up. This is what I have so far.

Calculus: A
Bio I: A
Bio II:A
G. Chem I: B
G. Chem II: C+
O. Chem I: C

I hate chemistry with a passion but doing my best to keep C's at a minimum. You don't need to retake bio a couple of C's won't kill ya. I know people with just as much C's as A's and B's and got into med school just fine.