Are my tentative schedules feasible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulHardWorker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to these forums so I apologize if I've put this in the wrong place.

I'm a sophomore in college (Penn) and I still need to fulfill almost all the premed requirements. If I decide to finish all the topics on the MCAT by the end of my junior year, here are my tentative schedules:

Sophomore Spring: Biology 2 with lab, General Chemistry 2 with lab, 2nd English/Writing course, and Statistics 1.

Junior Fall: Biology 1 with lab, Organic Chemistry 1, Physics 1 with lab, and POSSIBLY German 4 to finish my language requirement.

Junior Spring: Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry 2, Physics 2 with lab.

All those science classes each semester scare me, but this would allow me to take the MCAT after junior year and hopefully matriculate into medical school immediately following graduation.

I'm fairly certain that my undergrad GPA would be significantly better if I chose to spread out all those requirements by using my senior year for both physics classes, biochemistry, and organic chemistry lab (the last of which I will take senior fall regardless).

I haven't made a decision yet, and I would like to hear any thoughts anyone has. Thanks so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Barely finishing prerequisite coursework before taking MCAT does not sound like the best idea. Consider when you plan to study for and then take MCAT so that it allows you to apply early in the cycle.

I suggest you take summer courses in order to achieve your goal of matriculating right after senior year.

at least consider the possibility of a gap year. no rush.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would die with that schedule. Straight up.

Reactions: 1 user
Penn as in Penn state or University of Pennsylvania? I'm not too familiar with the grade inflation at either. How are you graded, do you think you can do better than your peers? Are the other premeds at your school gunners? If you go to the state school it would probably be doable granted you take extremely no effort or attendance based classes at the same time. If you go to the Ivy that's a different story, unless you feel as though you stand out amongst your peers and can out gun them.

Remember that when you take it, Biochem, Physio, and the social science sections will be on it.

It will be hard to crash course the MCAT with your schedule but not impossible. I took the MCAT without any background in anatomy and physiology and forgot everything from E&M and I managed to get a 30 (10/10/10). Worst comes to worst - like the posters before me - just take a gap year.

Penn = UPenn
Penn State = Penn State

If you think it's going to hurt your GPA, it's probably best to wait. No reason to rush the process of you're hurting your chances by doing so. I am a huge advocate for taking a year off – takes the time pressure off, gives you the chance to do something besides school, and you won't be directly competing with all your Penn classmates like you would be if you applied during senior year, which I imagine would be pretty stressful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm fairly certain that my undergrad GPA would be significantly better if I chose to spread out all those requirements by using my senior year for both physics classes, biochemistry, and organic chemistry lab

Sounds like you have your answer. Rushing to shove in all the prereqs then immediately taking the MCAT puts both your MCAT and GPA at risk. While that schedule is certainly doable and one that many people can handle, if you think that it will be difficult for you, then why do it? I'd highly recommend you either take summer courses or just come to terms with taking a gap year. You should have ample time to study for the MCAT after completing the prereqs as well, which this schedule won't allow.