Are NERBS/WREBS required to go into OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spaceman Spif

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or Ortho, Perio, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Into residency? No.
Into practice? Yes.

If you complete your residency, wouldn't the certification allow you to practice after? Do you still need these exams to practice after residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you complete your residency, wouldn't the certification allow you to practice after? Do you still need these exams to practice after residency?

Off the cuff as a generality I will say no. However, there are states such as NY that will allow to practice with a residency alone. I am not sure about all the rules such as will they only accept a program from NY (don't know)? Also it is geared toward the 1 year programs from my understanding. That being said you will be taking a big risk following your OMS training if you have to go back to cut a FPD to get a license in your desired state for example.

Just bite the bullet and get licensed, pain the arse I know.

No and yes. The exception is, as posted above, if you move to one of the few states that only requires residency for licensure. I know an OMFS who did not take a licensure exam and to move back to California after residency was a huge hassle. He told me he should've just taken the WREB when he had a chance but didn't realize he would need it as a dental student. Case and point: take the exam. If you fail it, retake it. The alternative is harder and may limit your options.

No and yes. The exception is, as posted above, if you move to one of the few states that only requires residency for licensure. I know an OMFS who did not take a licensure exam and to move back to California after residency was a huge hassle. He told me he should've just taken the WREB when he had a chance but didn't realize he would need it as a dental student. Case and point: take the exam. If you fail it, retake it. The alternative is harder and may limit your options.

You may practice OMS with a valid California medical license after six year MD/Certificate residency training.

Last edited:
You may practice OMS with a valid California medical license after six year MD/Certificate residency training.

You are correct. I believe his issue was with billing dental insurances. He ended up having to get a NY state dental license and then some type of reciprocity with California.