uriel

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a number practice exams from non-AAMC-affiliated books (like Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.) and I was wondering if people found these to be very realistic and/or helpful as study and practice tools. I've been taking some of them and I've noticed that there are some which are obviously bad (I have one book from ARCO GOLD that's clearly not representative of the real thing). Which books are good or bad? And are the old tests offered by the AAMC online even representative since they tend to be much older tests?

Also, are people buying the newer tests, which cost like $40 per test? I can kind of see investing $80 for the really old tests, but I think $40/test is outrageous. Yet another way the AAMC gets to completely abuse and gouge us voiceless and powerless applicants. (as a side rant, there's nothing to stop them from charging as much as they want for app fees and test admin, isn't there something wrong with that?)

estairella

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I only have experience with Kaplan, but it is pretty representative. I have friends taking TPR, and they score about 3-4 points higher on AAMCs than on TPR for the sciences, so its harder.

That is.. of course, except the verbal.

Both Kaplan and TPR verbal are not representative of the AAMC verbal (if you need any proof, look at people saying "I got 8 on Kaplan but 12 on AAMC" and conversely "I got 12 on TPR but 8 on AAMC, wtf?!" etc..)

Basically, TPR & Kaplan's verbal are detail oriented, while AAMC is inference/argument oriented. You can be good at one style of questioning and bad at the other, so take the AAMC tests for sure.

In my city, one photography company has a monopoly on doing school & graduating photos for all schools (elementary right up to graduate level), charging prices like $60 for a low-quality 4x6 photo (not plural). So, compared to them, AAMC is very fair. :laugh:

Moses MD

I got a staff
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I would say the EK tests are fairly accurate, though slightly harder, but the verbal translates well. Can't speak on Kaplan or TPR, but I have heard and seen what happens when people go by them. Some decent, but...well, I know a lot of people retaking in August after doing Kaplan for the April test.

No idea if that helps, but, regardless, good luck.

About the Ads

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
i found the kaplan tests to be grossy innacuate in their grading curve and in their style of difficulty
what i mean is, their difficult problems went so much hard as they were just...well, for lack of a better word, b*tchy

however, for some reason, the kaplan scores that i got were fairly representative

on the second test in kaplan's book of 2 full lenghts, i got the exact breakdown that i got on the actual

superwillis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Status
Having similar scores on a particular non-AAMC test and the actual thing doesnt necessarily mean that it is representative. It may just mean that you do equally well on a non-AAMC test. Its like if you got an certain score on your driver's license test, and then took a math exam and recieved the same score...doesnt mean the driver's test is representative of the math exam.

I think the question types and difficulty level are the most important things to look at.

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
Status
Medical Student
ON KAPLAN VS. AAMC

For Physical Sciences:
Kaplan requires really indepth calculations. These do not exist in AAMC. I have found that these calculations wreck my timing. I tend to have a better PS section on AAMC than Kaplan... Like 11 vs. 13.. The difference is bigger in the later Kaplan tests.

For Verbal:
The idea that these two are remotely similar is absurd!! Completely different style. However, somehow I tend to get 11's on both AAMC and Kaplan.

For Biological Sciences:
Kaplan does a better job here at approximating AAMC tests than in the other 2 sections. Also, I tend to hit 12s and 13s on both AAMC and Kaplan here. I still think they are different though. Kaplan tests are usually related to things I've never even heard of.. AAMC topics are famliar.

And Really-- If you want something diagnostic take AAMC 7, 8, and 9. Those are closest to what the MCAT is these days. Why bother with this other crap?

OP
U

uriel

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Kikaku21 said:
And Really-- If you want something diagnostic take AAMC 7, 8, and 9. Those are closest to what the MCAT is these days. Why bother with this other crap?
Because those are expensive! $40 per test?!

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status
Medical Student
uriel said:
Because those are expensive! $40 per test?!
:sleep: cry me a freakin' river. Wait till you apply to medical school and have those application fees, secondaries are always at least $50. Paying a measly 40 bucks for a practice test is nothing if it helps you raise your score so that you can have a better shot at getting into medical school.

About the Ads