Are Non-Accepted Interviewees always Waitlisted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xJH3nDR1x

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder this because I was waitlisted by all the schools I wasn't accepted. Do schools actually reject students out right after the interview? I don't see any reason why they should because the waitlist is not a guarantee, it wouldn't hurt the school to have extra applicants in case of withdrawals, and students wouldn't feel too bad about being on the waitlist as opposed to being outright rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

xJH3nDR1x said:
I wonder this because I was waitlisted by all the schools I wasn't accepted. Do schools actually reject students out right after the interview? I don't see any reason why they should because the waitlist is not a guarantee, it wouldn't hurt the school to have extra applicants in case of withdrawals, and students wouldn't feel too bad about being on the waitlist as opposed to being outright rejected.

Yeah, some schools reject post-interview, if they know they don't want you.

xJH3nDR1x said:

Some applicants are such a bad fit with the school that they are declined after interview rather than waitlisted.

If an applicant is a good fit, they are waitlisted -- this just means that you would be a good candidate for admission but there aren't enough seats to accomodate you & the other great candidates. If some seats become available, applicants on the waitlist can be asked to fill a seat. You don't want anyone who is not a good candidate for (your) medical school to be on the waitlist.