Are Nurse Anesthetists doomed ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albaniandoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I am an RN working on pre-med courses. I am also preparing for the MCAT and the GRE at the same time. My goal is two go to med school but I talk to a lot of docs I work with and almost all of them suggest that I go to CRNA school, since it is more money and less schooling and no call.
One doctor had a different spin on it. When I graduated nursing school CRNAs were making 100G/year, the slowly 120 and now about 150G. He felt that eventually they will run themselves out of the market because they are demanding higher and higher salaries. I mean people could just hire doctors instead of CRNAs if they demand higher salaries.
Is CRNA just in "style" right now or is this a great profession to be in ?
I would like to do CRNA but then in 10 years will I be looking at going back to medical school or should I shoot for medical so I won't have to wonder what I could have been or done in 10 years?
Any ideas would be appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

My take is that it's just a boring job (Rather practice medicine).

This is all market-rate trickle down. As gas becomes a more and more competitive specialty with salaries reaching easily into the hundres of thousands, the mid-level salaries will also creep up more or less in lockstep.

My neighbor makes 300k as a part-time gas MD, in that light, a CRNA making $150k in a busy urban hospital is right on.

Ockham

Members don't see this ad :)
guetzow said:
My take is that it's just a boring job (Rather practice medicine).

How did you come about this observation of yours?

:)............................

Are Nurse Anesthetists doomed ?

No

guetzow said:
:)............................

In what capacity? Unless you have done it, you only have an observer's opinion, which isn't worth much.

You can either sit on your ass and pass gas all day(Talking about your golf game or whatever), "or" you can see, "Diagnose", and apply "New", and "different" plans of care with challenging patients (i.e.-practice medicine). Anesthesia is no more that respiratory therapy pushing a few extra meds. And the therapists secure tubes better :) Sorry, but the intellectual who likes challenges will practice medicine. The gal who just wants to make $$ and be in the "scene" (For status) will choose anesthesia. It's boring. No contest.

guetzow said:
You can either sit on your ass and pass gas all day(Talking about your golf game or whatever), "or" you can see, "Diagnose", and apply "New", and "different" plans of care with challenging patients (i.e.-practice medicine). Anesthesia is no more that respiratory therapy pushing a few extra meds. And the therapists secure tubes better :) Sorry, but the intellectual who likes challenges will practice medicine. The gal who just wants to make $$ and be in the "scene" (For status) will choose anesthesia. It's boring. No contest.

You're funny! :p

Do you feel the same way about MDA's? lol

Just an RT that pushes more meds :) (RT's are also familiar with more vents).

To the OP: I don't think CRNAs are going away, but you're in for a surprise if you think there's no "on call." Maybe if you work in a free-standing surgery center, but most of the CRNAs I've know who worked in hospitals had to rotate on-call just like everyone else.

guetzow said:

Thanks for not answering the question. In what capacity did you work in the OR and get such a genuine understanding of anesthesia? Seeing how you know so damn much about it, I'm waiting for this one. What you don't understand is that a good clinician makes it look easy.

guetzow said:
Just an RT that pushes more meds :) (RT's are also familiar with more vents).

By that reasoning:

Surgeons........glorified mechanics

OB/Gyn...........highly trained midwives

physicians........just overly educated PA's

I actually work in a small community hospital. We have about 350 beds, 7 ORs and 2 Open Heart surgery suites. I work in the open heart and we do about 300-350 surgeries a year.
Our CRNAs work four days a week, 10 hours a day with no call and make about 150G. An MD has to be present when intubating and extubating so they cannot take call by themselves. It is a dream job for a nurse. I am just wondering if it is going out of style eventually.

1. more money than your current job...yes
2. less schooling..than med school..yes
3. no call...not true ..CRNAs at our Hospital take call and In house call as well. Typically if you are willing to take call and do the less desirable hours (i.e nights, weekends) you can make a good amount of dough. Best of Luck.

Doubt it. $$ and Prestige are always in style :)

onmywayRN said:
Hi.
should I shoot for medical so I won't have to wonder what I could have been or done in 10 years?
Any ideas would be appreciated?

Go for the gold! Become a physician!

guetzow said:
Doubt it. $$ and Prestige are always in style :)

Wow! You FINALLY said something intelligent. Took awhile....... :cool: