Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Are old low mcat scores just as good as new low mcat scores

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by listener23, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. listener23

listener23 Banned Banned 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Im taking my mcat in july, i know that mcat scores are good for 2-3 years. I had plan on taking a gap year and apply june 1 2015. If i get a low score (24-27), this july 2014. Will adcoms look down on me for never retaking it or is a old 27 just as good as a new 27?

Additional info: AA male who plans on applying to DO schools as well. Also i will never in my life take the mcat twice under any circumstances.
    I don't plan on a sub 30 but anything could happen...

Last edited: 05.19.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. GFP

GFP 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A low score is a low score. If you get a low score, it is obviously in your best interest to retake it and get a higher score.

If you have a feeling that you might do poorly (i.e. consistently scoring below what you'd like on the AAMC practice tests), then I recommend postponing the MCAT until you reach your target score. You want o be able to take it once and absolutely rock it.

Best of look.

4. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    The other issue besides being a low score, is that he pool of applicants will likely mostly have the new exam. There is no way to judge how that may be subconsciously taken into account by the adcoms.

Let me ask you a question, you would rather not take the MCAT again, even though an older, lower score may reduce your chances and may prevent from becoming a physician?

5. listener23

Pre-Medical
    I don't plain on a sub 30 but if a low score does happen I'm going to apply without retaking it. A bigger question is will adcoms favor the 2015 mcat scores over the old format....

6. lmn

lmn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're talking about a 24-27, as far as MD programs, you'll never be competitive regardless if it is the old or new MCAT. It is possible that schools might be more forgiving of a "lower" score with the brand new mcat since it new and unknown, but I don't think that will last for long if it does end up existing.

I think it is more of a red flag of why you would never retake, even if you scored a low score. You are essentially saying you would rather never become a physician than having to retake the MCAT's; med school and a future career as a physician definitely isn't going to be easy, and if you are willing to give up at something as small as the MCAT, how can any school expect you to persevere in all the challenges that med school, residency, and beyond will put in front of you?

listener23 likes this.
  7. listener23

Pre-Medical
    Well put.

8. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    An old 27 = a new 27. There are good and bad reasons for re-taking the MCAT, an expiring or low score are good reasons.

How are you doing in practice tests?

9. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student

Rule 7: The MCAT is your friend

(from Rich's rules for non traditional students)

From a sociological/small group dynamic, the answer is yes. You will be in an applicant pool that is more than likely most students will be applying with the new MCAT. Therefore, it is more likely that the will have some influence on group members in a comparison. Should they, how much influence, etc is impossible to say. But it is clear that will not be a positive factor having a lower, older MCAT

The MCAT is the single most important factor for older students in comparison in an applicant pool. It shows that you can compete, no matter your background, years from school, etc, with younger traditional students. You have a phobia, a fear that you MUST conquer here.

10. listener23

Pre-Medical

I have a high of a 33 but that was over 2 mouths ago my original set mcat date was april. I have not touch anything dealing with the mcat in while for personal reason... when i make threads like this http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/fainted-after-my-human-gentics-final.1069963/ i'm being serious....

Last edited: 05.19.14
  11. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
  12. Reckoner

Reckoner Lacks theology and geometry Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Agreed. @listener23 , do you have your personal issues squared away to the point where you can dedicate significant time every day to MCAT prep from now until the test? Stop-and-go studying almost never works for this test.

13. listener23

Pre-Medical

14. schwieryany

schwieryany

Pre-Optometry
    it is obviously in your best interest to retake it and get a higher score.[​IMG]

15. mizzu

mizzu Banned Banned Account on Hold

Non-Student
    Never in your life take MCAT twice? Under ANY circumstance? Well then...

16. gonnif

Non-Student
    Sorry I am going to be pushy because you need to answer this for yourself, if you apply and DONT get in,

would you not retake the MCAT?
    Apply again with the same score?
    Give up on medical school?

17. listener23

Pre-Medical
    Give up on medical school or enroll in a auto admission post back

18. gonnif

Non-Student
    did you know that many "auto enroll" SMP require newly taken MCAT?

19. CyberMaxx

CyberMaxx Doing math in pen 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP, I understand that preparing for and taking the MCAT are miserable. The amount of knowledge you have to master is enormous, the test is long, the format is unfamiliar, the time limitations are killer, the questions are challenging, and most importantly your future rides on it.

However the MCAT is not a particularly unique event for people training to become physicians. If accepted to medical school you will be taking similar difficult and high stakes tests throughout your training and career.

My point is that it is silly to refuse to take the MCAT twice when you will be taking MCAT-like tests the rest of your life.

20. listener23

Pre-Medical
    Well now i do.thanks

21. listener23

Pre-Medical
    Lets just hope i wont have make that decision I dont plan out failure.... Goro answered the threads original question anyway "old 27 = new 27"

Last edited: 05.20.14
  22. clairephillips

clairephillips 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    @gonnif , my wonderful friend, is there a place I can look at the other rules from "Rich's rules for non traditional students?" Is there an actual list of helpful rules? You are an inspiration and you give me hope!!!

23. gonnif

Non-Student
    who can resist a request like that. Links to presentation below though you dont get the broadway soundtrack with it

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/61590/

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/fbbuploads/1245290419-Ten_Things_Every_Premed_Should_Know.pdf

About the ads