1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Are older students interviewed the same as young students?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dental Mom, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Dental Mom

7+ Year Member

Are older students interviewed the same as young students?

I've been reading about AZ and Vegas doing unusual things during their interviews. I was wondering if these are things that they do to put in the spot younger applicants? :confused: I have a hard time thinking that they would interview this way a 45+ yr old applicant.

I'll be 34 when I apply and I wonder if it could be different for me too?

I'm getting old! :laugh:

I heard of a lady starting med school at 65! I wonder how her interview went...

My interview could go like this:

They: do you know that you'll be broke dental mom?

Me: huh?

They: well, you will be close to 40 starting a new career, saving for your children's college, saving for your retirement, not to mention repaying loans!

Me: :mad: :mad: :mad: :laugh:

This is the type of argument that I could be facing. It's illegal that they question my age--but they do find their way around it....

2. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com
    Partner Organization 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your age, if anything, is an advantage! I'm 35 and was flat out told at the AZ interview they liked the fact that I was older. They made it clear that it is of no way a hinderance and in many respects an advantage.

Remember the main thing AdComs want to avoid is an empty chair in D2! If you're in your 30's and are appying to dental school, they figure its not a whimsical decision. Maturity is a big plus for your ap.

3. myurth

myurth Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    I am 35 and will be 40 when I get out (providing I get in to one of the 8 schools I interviewed at). Almost every one of my interviews seemed like I had different questions than the others. Partially because I am older, and partially because I had an interesting career before I decided to do this. I think they like older students, as long as you seem stable, because it speaks well to maturity and focus. If they know, that WE KNOW, that we can't screw around because we have a family and less time to build a retirement, they will have good reason to believe we will hunker down and work hard when the time comes.

4. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Maturity is a major advantage and will not be held against you. With that aside, yes, they will treat you like any other applicant and interview you in the same way - afterall, why should they treat you differently when they are going to treat everyone the same and hold everyone to the same bar once school starts. Yes, adcoms will probably understand that this isn't a rash decision, but that shouldn't suggest they won't throw some curveball questions your way. If you have thought about it and are really committed to pursuing dentistry, which I can tell you are, you will have no problems providing good answers to such questions. Best of luck!

5. TeethVader

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Not to worry mom!! I'm 31 and my age was more of an advantage than a setback. I was carrying horrible credit on me too!!! So don't worry, dental schools love those nontraditional students. Enjoy your days in D-school!!!

6. sumozmom

sumozmom Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    as u already know -i'm 37 and just starting pre-recs-'i think the other 2 seniors here have a great point -
    think of your self as more re-fined -what an asset as a dds

7. ElDienteLoco

ElDienteLoco Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think it will be an asset when you get out. I plan to wear button down shirts to work everyday, just so I look old enough to appear to be the dentist and not an assistant. I worked for a guy who looked like he was 17 when he wore scrubs and people seemed to ask him the "how long have you been doing this?" question a lot more when he was wearing scrubs compared to a tie.

I would expect similar treatment during the interview although non-traditional status is definitely not looked down upon here in Arizona.

8. drhobie7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've interviewed applicants from early 20s to mid 30s. I think maturity is a terrific advantage, not just in the application process but during dental school, especially when it comes to treating patients. You'll do great. Just hold your ground if someone questions your committment or motivation.

9. packbacker

packbacker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm 33 and have seen a lot of positive feedback from being a non-traditional applicant. That being said, an admissions officer from a certain unnamed school in the midwest was concerned that my age might be a hinderence. It shocked me a bit to hear something like that up close and personal (is there such a thing as age-ism?) considering that my GPA has done nothing but INCREASE since those wild undergrad years! :laugh:

10. adr12

adr12 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I found my 2 interviews that the questions I was asked were probably different due to my age. I'm 30 and was asked questions about my career, family, etc. that a traditional applicant would not be asked. Having said that, I was well prepared to answer the "tough" questions that any applicant could be asked. I don't think my age is a hinderance, but we'll see if I'm accepted anywhere!

11. spamtoit

spamtoit Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I've been to 5 interviews and so far I don't think I was asked anything specifically related to me being a non-traditional student (I'm 28). It was usually only discussed after a "tell me about yourself" or "why dentistry" type of question so I ended up bringing it up. But the interviewers always seemed to react positively...

I do also look like I'm just out of college so maybe that somehow plays into what I get asked.

12. tinman831

tinman831 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Administrator Dentist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    After looking over my application during an interview, one of my interviewers told me I looked a little young to have done all of the things I have done. I don't know if that was a good sign or not. He didn't seem too impressed. :scared: I would have to say that age "usually" represents maturity and will probably be interpreted as such.

13. Gasedo

Gasedo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Let me tell you this: I am 32. I moved from Europe several years ago, didn’t speak English. I have learned it in few months went to school and got my degree in biochemistry. After four years, I finished the university, got two beautiful children, (I was married by the time I arrived in USA), and got some experience working in a dental office. Now I study for DAT, and I’ll apply in 2006 at Dental school. Let me tell you, anything is possible if you really wish for and if you work hard enough it really pays off at the end. I also think that age is an excellent advantage for an applicant, it really show maturity.
    I wish you all good luck in the process! :luck:

14. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

As evidenced by that curious avatar of yours? :scared:

15. Dental Mom

7+ Year Member

Thank you all for responding....

The way things are going for me right now, I might be even 35 when I apply. There are so many older students at proffesional school here in USA these days. Age is how you feel inside, and so far getting closer to 31 in March still make me feel young :)

If I was in another country I'm not so sure I could go to dental school been a woman and all....maybe or :( maybe not

Good luck to all of you too applying/already accepted in your your 30's.

I'm very motivated and I can't wait to go to dental school and really become a "dental mom" :)

Happy Turkey day!

16. LABIAL LOVER

LABIAL LOVER Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Dental

Once again I am reading a post by the mods that is totally untrue. Dont they screen you guys before they turn you loose on the computer?

I am an older student and had 10 interviews and from speaking with other students applying, I cant most certainly tell you that I was treated different with more respect and I received no ignorant questions like the younger guys did.

In the future mods, if you cannot give proper information I would ask you to please not give incorrect information. Its upsetting to read your posts when I know they are 100% wrong. Either do some research on the topic or refrain from posting an incorrect response.

You owe these students that!

17. I'mFillingFine

I'mFillingFine Pulptastic
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You "can" or "cant" most certainly tell us? If it is correct as is, I apologize for any offense. If not, make sure YOUR post is correct before bashing someone else's, especially when we're obviously simply speaking from our own experiences, which are bound to differ.

Also, you accused me of misspelling earlier.... :confused:

18. AFVET

AFVET Member
    5+ Year Member

Financially speaking how are you guys planning on doing this? Specifically I am speaking to those of you who have a family and are planning on giving up a full time job to go to school.

19. sumozmom

sumozmom Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Loans Loans Loasns - Savings