Are online soft science courses acceptable for medical school admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kakalakingma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm specifically referring to psychology and sociology, two subjects that have been added into the MCAT for several years ago?

I'm taking all required hard science courses on campus. Where can I get reputable answer to my question? Should I call individual medical school and ask about their conditions on online soft science courses?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The MSAR will show you which schools require Psych and Socio (I suspect many will have it at least under "recommended" starting next cycle), as well as whether they will accept AP and Online credit.

When in doubt, contact the schools.

The MSAR will show you which schools require Psych and Socio (I suspect many will have it at least under "recommended" starting next cycle), as well as whether they will accept AP and Online credit.

When in doubt, contact the schools.
I'm not familiar with MSAR. Can you show me a short step by step on how to access the website and go where I need to go?

Also, what if the scenario is that I took on-campus sociology and psychology a few years ago but I don't remember the subject in summer classes, but wish to take it again as refresher because I can and money not an issue and time isn't iether. is that OK?

Members don't see this ad :)
Step one:
Google MSAR

Step two:
Read the instructions/pay the fee

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not familiar with MSAR. Can you show me a short step by step on how to access the website and go where I need to go?

Also, what if the scenario is that I took on-campus sociology and psychology a few years ago but I don't remember the subject in summer classes, but wish to take it again as refresher because I can and money not an issue and time isn't iether. is that OK?
It is sold by the AAMC on their website here. It is an essential. It's the Bible of medical school statistics, requirements, deadlines, etc.

I would not enroll in a class for refreshing - the best way to review is through dedicated MCAT review books (sold by companies like Kaplan, Princeton Review, Berkeley Review, Examkrackers etc)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the
https://services.aamc.org/msar/home

You need to make an AAMC account and then pay around $25 for full access. It's the most important $25 you will pay if you want to become a doctor.

Thanks. I'll make the purchase tomorrow. amma go to sleep now lol. so tired. sigh

so by the way, might as well ask, these statistics and stuff. do they change yearly? because I won't be applying for a few years. Do you think it's smart I buy access now? How long does it last?

Thanks!

Thanks for the

Thanks. I'll make the purchase tomorrow. amma go to sleep now lol. so tired. sigh

so by the way, might as well ask, these statistics and stuff. do they change yearly? because I won't be applying for a few years. Do you think it's smart I buy access now? How long does it last?

Thanks!

If you're planning on taking online classes, it might be worth it just to check, but course requirements and statistics do change year to year so barring extenuating circumstances, it's usually best to buy the MSAR in March-April or so the year that you plan to apply. The MSAR is basically a tool used to construct a school list. And course requirements do change too, especially with the recent MCAT shift, but are generally stable otherwise.

You really only need it during the year you plan to make your list of schools and apply. Before having an MCAT score or considering the requirements of certain schools it's not that useful. If you've already taken a college class in psych/socio the best general advice is to either take another course in the area or just review it with MCAT prep books when it comes time.

You might want to call them "social sciences" rather than "soft". Some of the faculty might take "soft" as a slur on their disciplines.
Huh, I took almost as many psych classes as BCPM and had never heard soft vs hard as derogatory or condescending. But now that I think about it I've only ever heard it called social vs natural sciences in any formal settings.

Hey guys, what about if the course is a hybrid? Is there technically about that when it comes to admission?