This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038378

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had nowhere else in the secondary app to explain why you like the school, the optional essay could be used for that purpose. But don't waste the adcoms' time filling it out if you have nothing meaningful to add, I got interviews at schools where I didn't fill out the optional essay.

^^^ What Gonnif said. Don't tell them things they already know about their school, and don't suck up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools I’ve called highly suggest filling out the optional essay. Their response was we recommend you at least “just put something”.

Would this count as a generality: I have no ties to the school or state. But, I have a lot of research experience in X and the school has a facility in X. Let's say X is something most schools have a facility in like caridology. Would it be worth mentioning I am interested in the school for this reason or is that too extra?

If this wasn't fully explored in other portions of your application I think it would be the perfect fit for an optional essay. Maybe just do a little more research in what the school is doing in X so it can be more specific to that program and not every medical school.

Do any of the researchers at the "cardiology" facility have projects that match your interests, or publications that particularly interest you? In other words, is there something that you can cite as a specific reason for wanting to work with them? I think you could turn your interest into an essay.