Are osteo residencies good in oncology...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisv

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if there are any good osteo residencies in oncology. That's what I'm interested in right now--I'm in the process of applying to schools. And I'm letting most of my schools know that I do want to specialize in oncology, as opposed to primary care/rural medicine. What about Internal Medicine? Many oncology people go through IM first. Is there a resource where I could find out more info?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

You would probably go through D.O. school then do allo IM and allo Hem/Onc fellowship. I don't know about osteo hem/onc fellowships.

Do you guys know if there are any good osteo residencies in oncology. That's what I'm interested in right now--I'm in the process of applying to schools. And I'm letting most of my schools know that I do want to specialize in oncology, as opposed to primary care/rural medicine. What about Internal Medicine? Many oncology people go through IM first. Is there a resource where I could find out more info?

Thanks!!

Heme/Onc is an IM subspecialty - all oncologists go through IM first. There are no DO heme/onc programs (for all intents and purposes - there are technically 2 programs but they don't even accept any students most years). If you wanted to do heme/onc you would want to go to a decent MD IM residency, and then MD fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, are you guys saying that showing interest in oncology is the kiss-of-death during interview/secondary? Cuz' I'm seriously interested in it, along with a few other things.

So, are you guys saying that showing interest in oncology is the kiss-of-death during interview/secondary? Cuz' I'm seriously interested in it, along with a few other things.
There are some D.O. schools where the grads usually pursue specialties other than primary care(pcom is the one I know of). You really don't have to tell them what you want to do. Most people change their minds 100x during school anyway.

Yeah, why tell them anything? If anything, say you plan on doing a primary care residency - true.

I am really dusting off my OMM knowledge here but isn't OMM relatively contraindicated in oncology patients (i.e. lympathic pump in lymphoma patients)?

Alas there is always craniosacral...:)

If I were you, I'd emphasize you are considering internal medicine rather than oncology in particular. It's still honest but without risking that if the interviewer is in primary care s/he won't like the fact that you're planning on specializing.

Of course, schools do realize that's part of the game we all play. At the orientation for my class, one of the administrators made a joke along the lines of, "Yeah, yeah...now that you're in, you can stop pretending that you *all* want to be primary care docs in the country" ;)

I am really dusting off my OMM knowledge here but isn't OMM relatively contraindicated in oncology patients (i.e. lympathic pump in lymphoma patients)?

Nope.

This is one of those "it was said a long time ago by some guy who seemed to know what he was talking about so the profession teaches it as fact although its likely not true" cases.

Just one of the many problems with the current OMM education. :p

To the OP (and anyone else): it is also quite possible to do an allopathic heme/onc. fellowship after completing an osteopathic IM residency. That sort of thing happens all the time.

I expressed an interested in Hem/Onc in my PS, but also emphasized i was open to options.

ask HemaOncoDoc
Look at that harmless plug, lol. There is definitely opportunity for DOs to specialize in hem/onc. What is important is getting into a great IM residency.