Are pathologists retiring because of Covid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp123ok

Dermatopathologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was an article in the New York Times recently titled "Doctors Are Calling It Quits Under Stress of the Pandemic". The article went on to state that thousands of medical practices are closing, as doctors and nurses decide to retire early or shift to less intense jobs.

I'm curious to know if any pathologists or trainees on this forum have observed elderly pathologists retiring because of Covid.

Members don't see this ad.

There was an article in the New York Times recently titled "Doctors Are Calling It Quits Under Stress of the Pandemic". The article went on to state that thousands of medical practices are closing, as doctors and nurses decide to retire early or shift to less intense jobs.

I'm curious to know if any pathologists or trainees on this forum have observed elderly pathologists retiring because of Covid.

Here's the article for anyone interested:

Doctors Are Calling It Quits Under Stress of the Pandemic

I indirectly know of one pathologist who retired last September and called it quits due to the pandemic according to his colleagues. However, he was already part time, and around retirement age. I didn't know this individual personally, but heard he just didn't like working in the hospital anymore because interactions were limited, volume was down, etc. Which seems a bit unusual, as our jobs don't require that much person-to-person interaction anyway (hence, why some go into it); and, more so because he announced his retirement after elective surgeries resumed so volume would have started to resume. Again, I heard this through his colleague, not from the outgoing pathologist directly, so I can't explain his reasons. Maybe he was considering full retirement in the near future anyway and this was the tipping point.

Last edited:
I don’t think Covid is by itself triggering retirements of pathologists. Much of our day to day we can easily perform safely, sequestered in our office.

why retire now anyways. You can’t travel, or vaca easily. I’d rather work than sit at home on the couch personally.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One group let go of several junior partners in order to hire salaried employees to mitigate costs, and one partner retired early as well. I'm sure this is more widespread. The decrease is surgical volume coupled with decreased reimbursement is not good news for smaller groups.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to add a larger conglomerates also instituted a 20% pay cut to employees when volume decreased - and even though volume came back up the pay cut stayed.
Wow, for pathology or other specialities
Who did this if you don’t mind me asking...

I heard Quest / Ameripath had a temporary 10% reduction in base and suspended company 401 k match. It was supposed to be one fiscal quarter (12 weeks), but only lasted for 8 weeks b/c AP volumes came back and CP was booming.

Last edited:

I heard Quest / Ameripath had a temporary 10% reduction in base and suspended company 401 k match. It was supposed to be one fiscal quarter (12 weeks), but only lasted for 8 weeks b/c AP volumes came back and CP was booming.
that's something employed or hospital based pathologists should keep in mind if they're being asked to take pay cuts...while AP volumes hurt the us, the lab as a whole survives with CP...we've have had crazy CP volumes this year, and the lab is one of the best performing departments since the start of this whole thing.

Outside of forensics, our work environment is pretty safe and stress free from covid.

With the market at all time highs, I wouldn't be surprised if many quit.

Yes, companies that shaft pathologists should be outed.

answer: yes I know several.