are people calling schools on Oct 15th?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by VirtuoJ, Oct 13, 2002.

1. I was just wondering if you guys are planning to call schools that you expect to hear from (ie you had Sept interviews) on Oct 15th?

Vandy is the only school I'm waiting to hear from on the 15th and I'm getting very anxious. I'm trying not to think about it, but it's impossible.

Two more days... I'm crossing my fingers.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

And also...do schools call people? Seems like one person mentioned something about this regarding UMich?

4. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

I wouldn't call any schools on the 15th... that would seem kinda pushy I think.

JHU calls people... and maybe a few other schools call... but I think most schools send letters via USMail. Speaking of that... just FYI, my Case letter was a thin little envelope... so don't freak out like I did and assume thin letter = rejection. :)

Good luck everyone :)

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,
    Don't even think about calling schools this early in the process. That would be very, very, very bad

6. hokiedoc

hokiedoc Member

Hey just a question. I'm not calling schools on the 15th, but I was curious why is it SOOO Bad to do so??:)

7. poloace

poloace Senior Member

i don't think its bad as so much as it is lame... i know you can be anxious... but, relax and chill.... they'll let you know if they want you to attend-
    p

8. smilez428

smilez428 Senior Member

as far as schools calling- UMDNJ- RWJMS also calls for acceptances. i'm hoping for that call tomorrow!!! i know what you mean about the anxiety, i'm about to go crazy over here! :)

9. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    It makes you look desperate and anxious. Plus the admissions offices get swamped with calls every day. And tons of emails come pouring into them every day and night as well. By the end of the process they are drained, and then they get to start all over again. If they are going to accept you, believe me, they will get in contact with you.

It took one of the deans I email frequently over 3 days to get to my message where I was telling her about my vacation out of the country (at her request). She said she was buried under 400 emails!!!!!!!

10. bujji13

bujji13 Senior Member

Maybe, but I think they might be understanding of our anxiousness as well. I don't think there would be a big problem to call tomorrow and ask if any correspondence was recently sent out. I'm personally VERY anxious to hear from Baylor, and I feel tempted to call them tomorrow and ask if a letter was sent. (Although I hear that they notify people who get accepted by phone around the 15th! :eek: )

11. clittle1981

clittle1981 Member

how about UMDNJ-NJMS, do they call too? My roommate (who sometimes posts under my alias on here) will be anxiously waiting for both schools tomorrow if so!

12. relatively prime

Adding to the misery is the fact that today is Columbus Day... a USPS recognized holiday.... therefore anything that was sent saturday or friday is going to take even longer to get to us. :(

13. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    you have an acceptance already. that sound you hear is my heart bleeding :rolleyes:

(j/k :) )

14. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent

:laugh:

congrats, RP....i didn't get a chance to say so earlier!

fingers crossed, everyone! :)

15. tryingagain

tryingagain Soon to have no life

I am. I am out of state and it would take 3-4 extra business days to get my response. I asked the admissions office after my interview if I could call and they very politely said I could.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. tryagain - what school was that for?

18. relatively prime

If you guys think that once you get an acceptances you'll stop cumpulsively checking your mailbox, e-mail, and phone messages... you're totally fooling yourselves. The obsession goes on! :) :p

19. tryingagain

The school was the University of Kentucky. I interviewed at a Virginia school as well and am planning on calling them too. The way I look at it is that I have been a good applicant up to this point; I've paid my massive secondary fees to all of the schools and have taken time out of my schedule to fly to each school and interview. The least I can ask for in return is a few minutes of the secretary's time in looking at my application status so I don't have to wait another freakin week. Besides, my decision at each school has already been determined. Its not like they are going to reject me now simply because I "bugged" them about my status.

I think those of you who think this is a big deal are really over-reacting.

20. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    obsession? :rolleyes: relatively prime, what are you talking about? I'm as cool as the other side of the pillow :D Med school admissions, stressing me out?.......nah.........

*.....phone rings in other room. miraclously, DW punches through wall to pick up on first ring.....*

HELLO!!!! ARE YOU ONE OF THE MED SCHOOLS I INTERVIEWED AT?!?!? ARE YOU ANY MED SCHOOL?!?!? WILL YOU ACCEPT ME?!?!?! OH GOD, ANSWER ME!!!!!! WHAT?!?!? YOU'RE MY MOM?!?!? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU CALLING FOR!!??!!
    +pissed+

*click*

21. jalan2

jalan2 Senior Member

VirtuoJ, you totally beat me to this thread!!! I was going to create a thread like this! That's cool, I'm not that weird after all...:)

I'm really, REALLY tempted to call, but I think I won't. Good luck to y'all!!!

22. Hey Jalan2,

I'm really tempted to call too! See, I can't get it out of my mind and it's affecting my productivity. The main benefit of calling is just get some completeness to one of my apps. Even if it is a rejection, at least I'll know it's a rejection can let go of any lingering hope that I have for the school. But then again, I'll be bummed to say the least. So, I'm at a dilemma. Yeah yeah, there are people with bigger problems out there in the world, but this is all I can think about right now. I still don't know if I'm going to call... I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to see.

23. hokiedoc

hokiedoc Member

Tryingagain, what school in VA are you calling? Let me know and what the result was (i.e, if they told you your status over the phone)

Good Luck!

24. tryingagain

That's weak.

25. hokiedoc

hokiedoc Member

26. tryingagain

Even though that was a weak and chicken $h1t request I still will try to contact you and let you know, since it seems I am one of the few on here who actually has the cajones to actually call a school and request my status.

27. hokiedoc

hokiedoc Member

You don't have to contact me!!! I was just meaning post on the board, cause I was curious. I guess it doesn't matter since I'm not calling, cause I don't think it would do me much good. I am glad you have the initiative to call though, cause I don't think its a bad thing at all. Good luck, I wish you the best.