Are pre-meds and/or med students nuts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously. Do some students make up facts about where they are interviewing and if they have been accepted just to beef themselves up? It just doesn't make any sense to me, especially online when no one really knows who you are anyway.

Two people on the pre-allo forum said they got into Tufts and the admissions committee hasn't even met yet, nor will until December. Do some schools admit students before the adcom meets because they are so stellar? A classmate of mine said she had an two interviews but not until December and then she told me she was leaving for it tomorrow. I just don't get it. Are we really that insecure of a species? What the hell is wrong with people?

Members don't see this ad.

well, 1. we've got a higher incidence of mental disease than most groups.
and 2. pre-meds are ****ing neurotic asses. That is a simple fact. some can just compose themselve better than others. (I will freely admit i was a neurotic ass, even though i was nice and helpful and anti-gunnerish and had stats where i knew i didn't have to worry about getting in somewhere)

good news, this passes for most pre-meds, except for those affected by #1 in med school and later on.

Reactions: 4 users
1. Yes, many pred-meds are nuts
2. People on the internet lie.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
and the admissions committee hasn't even met yet, nor will until December. Do some schools admit students before the adcom meets because they are so stellar?
Some schools (such as UASOM, for example) have special admissions categories. We have EDP, rural scholars, and EMSAP. Students in these programs are chosen 4-6 weeks before the regular admission interviews. Perhaps these students you refer to were one of these types of applicants. I was one. So was one of my coworkers. We were both accepted before the regular published admissions interview dates. This year I know of 31 people (out of 160 spots at UASOM) who were selected prior to the regular interview dates.
And yes, our applications were really good....

But that still doesn't mean that your theory isn't at least half true. Just not necessarily true.

I think that the majority of regular posters probably do not lie about their stats or apps. It is just too much trouble to make up a persona for the benefit of the SDN community. I'm hesitant to accuse anyone of lying without proof; I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt and be proven a fool than jump on the troll-branding bandwagon. When I first joined SDN, several people thought I was lying about my MCAT score because statistically it rounds down to 0% on the AAMC data page. So there is a reasonable explanation besides that I must be a liar. Likewise, I think that odrade's explanation for why two people got into Tufts early is reasonable, and probably correct.

QofQuimica said:
I think that the majority of regular posters probably do not lie about their stats or apps. It is just too much trouble to make up a persona for the benefit of the SDN community. I'm hesitant to accuse anyone of lying without proof; I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt and be proven a fool than jump on the troll-branding bandwagon. When I first joined SDN, several people thought I was lying about my MCAT score because statistically it rounds down to 0% on the AAMC data page. So there is a reasonable explanation besides that I must be a liar. Likewise, I think that odrade's explanation for why two people got into Tufts early is reasonable, and probably correct.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right... I'm just frustrated.

silas2642 said:
Yeah, I'm sure you're right... I'm just frustrated.

I'm impressed. You just said the other guy was right. Such a rare response. I can feel a fresh breeze blow through SDN. aaaahhhhhh :laugh:

Topaz said:
I'm impressed. You just said the other guy was right. Such a rare response. I can feel a fresh breeze blow through SDN. aaaahhhhhh :laugh:

Hey, when I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. I think I'm wrong.

I think you have to be a little 'off' to do this.

Reactions: 1 user
Hah, premed is only the beginning, med students are way crazier...

My good buddy describes medicine as Alice In Wonderland, we're all mad here. ;)

Good news, most people I have met have been pretty nice and down to earth.

Last edited:
I knew someone from 2 years ago that said they got into a good school in the US but deferred a year to take care of health issues. Said they had lots of interviews last year after already accepting their deferment the year prior and got into a bunch of programs in the northeast and was having trouble deciding which one to go to. Saw a picture of them putting on a white coat with the logo of one of the Carib schools on the wall behind them this week for their profile picture on facebook.

My next residency interview will be in space, just sayin....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of my firends are not in med school with me. hanging out with classmates is too stressful for me

Hah, premed is only the beginning, med students are way crazier...
if medical school students are anything like pre-meds, i wont have any ms friends. worked in ug and will have to work in medical school.

but most med students ive met so far are much less neurotic/obnoxious etc. and actually sociable

if medical school students are anything like pre-meds, i wont have any ms friends. worked in ug and will have to work in medical school.

but most med students ive met so far are much less neurotic/obnoxious etc. and actually sociable

There are med students who are chill and there are some that retain their premed neuroticism. You will find a couple friends you can hang out with.

Also curious why you have to work in med school? I can understand if you have existing debts that loan money for COL won't cover, but most if not all med schools will require you to sign a waiver basically saying you will not work a job outside school so you might have a tough time with that (not including tutoring for the school or doing research or something).

Reactions: 1 users
There are med students who are chill and there are some that retain their premed neuroticism. You will find a couple friends you can hang out with.

Also curious why you have to work in med school? I can understand if you have existing debts that loan money for COL won't cover, but most if not all med schools will require you to sign a waiver basically saying you will not work a job outside school so you might have a tough time with that (not including tutoring for the school or doing research or something).

haha oops. i meant worked as in not having pre-med/neurotic/obnoxious friends worked for me in ug.

i also worked in the classical sense in undergrad but definitely won't come medical school

Seriously. Do some students make up facts about where they are interviewing and if they have been accepted just to beef themselves up? It just doesn't make any sense to me, especially online when no one really knows who you are anyway.

Two people on the pre-allo forum said they got into Tufts and the admissions committee hasn't even met yet, nor will until December. Do some schools admit students before the adcom meets because they are so stellar? A classmate of mine said she had an two interviews but not until December and then she told me she was leaving for it tomorrow. I just don't get it. Are we really that insecure of a species? What the hell is wrong with people?
Who cares about "pre-meds". Most "pre-meds" never become actual "meds".

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Honestly, what is the point of lying? Sounds pathetic.

In general, it seems that people become more sane as they progress in their medical career lol.

I knew someone from 2 years ago that said they got into a good school in the US but deferred a year to take care of health issues. Said they had lots of interviews last year after already accepting their deferment the year prior and got into a bunch of programs in the northeast and was having trouble deciding which one to go to. Saw a picture of them putting on a white coat with the logo of one of the Carib schools on the wall behind them this week for their profile picture on facebook.
They probably had multiple acceptances and then decided that Ross was the best choice. Perfectly logical.

Not sure where you are getting your info on Tufts, but I know for an absolute fact that the admissions committee has met several times already, beginning in October.

I had a similar situation when I was a premed a girl I went to school with said she was going to apply to med school without organic cause she refused to take organic. She believed that she would get accepted without taking organic. Nuts.

I had a similar situation when I was a premed a girl I went to school with said she was going to apply to med school without organic cause she refused to take organic. She believed that she would get accepted without taking organic. Nuts.
It's a crazy world sometimes! There is a student at my school (note: he is a non-trad) who wears scrubs and a fake OBGYN MD tag from a local hospital (I am certain that his parents are physicians, so I assume that's how he acquired the tag) and just walks around the halls all day. He has been reprimanded by officials in the medical school multiple times. He just won't go away or grow up.

Icing on the cake? He showed up on his bicycle (wearing the very same outfit described above) to a car accident and told a nurse who was already on scene to "step back" because he was a doctor (thankfully she did not believe him).

A physician on the floor joked with him one day in an attempt to take a dig at him. He said, "Hey, OB, huh? I thought you would have chosen something like dermatology". The student, with a straight face, replies "Nah, I didn't want to pop pimples all day". You can't make this stuff up.

It's a crazy world sometimes! There is a student at my school (note: he is a non-trad) who wears scrubs and a fake OBGYN MD tag from a local hospital (I am certain that his parents are physicians, so I assume that's how he acquired the tag) and just walks around the halls all day. He has been reprimanded by officials in the medical school multiple times. He just won't go away or grow up.

Icing on the cake? He showed up on his bicycle (wearing the very same outfit described above) to a car accident and told a nurse who was already on scene to "step back" because he was a doctor (thankfully she did not believe him).

A physician on the floor joked with him one day in an attempt to take a dig at him. He said, "Hey, OB, huh? I thought you would have chosen something like dermatology". The student, with a straight face, replies "Nah, I didn't want to pop pimples all day". You can't make this stuff up.
Uhh he needs to be arrested...

Uhh he needs to be arrested...
Oh, I completely agree. You have absolutely no idea how many people have called campus police, written to the dean, etc. (myself included). What I have heard is that his parents are very well-off (which makes sense considering he drives a top-notch Benz) and he essentially gets away with whatever he wants.

[Edit] I forgot to mention that this has apparently been going on for years and years (before I even arrived at the school).

Last edited:
So someone really bumped up a thread from 10 years ago??? Lame.....

Pre-Meds are the absolute worst. They have the arrogance of doctors but none of the knowledge or experience. They have always been the smartest person in the room and then when they are no longer the smartest they don't realize it.

To the original posters point, yeah, pre-meds lie allll the time. They want you to think they are impressive people, so it makes sense that they would lie about acceptances. My favorite was a guy at UCLA who said he got into UC Irvine, NYU, and a few other schools but he is deciding to go to Rosalind Franklin medical school (It had a different name back then that I don't remember).

How dare you make me laugh

This is psychotic.

OxCqBp
Let's not forget about the awesome kid in Florida he is my role model

So someone really bumped up a thread from 10 years ago??? Lame.....

Pre-Meds are the absolute worst. They have the arrogance of doctors but none of the knowledge or experience. They have always been the smartest person in the room and then when they are no longer the smartest they don't realize it.

To the original posters point, yeah, pre-meds lie allll the time. They want you to think they are impressive people, so it makes sense that they would lie about acceptances. My favorite was a guy at UCLA who said he got into UC Irvine, NYU, and a few other schools but he is deciding to go to Rosalind Franklin medical school (It had a different name back then that I don't remember).

That doesn't seem too unbelievable though