are premeds the only ones encnouraged to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I've never heard a prelaw or business student talk about shadowing lawyers or IBs, yet the adcoms want us to shadow doctors to ''make sure its what we want to do.'' Seriously who in this day and age doesn't know what docs do...

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard a prelaw or business student talk about shadowing lawyers or IBs, yet the adcoms want us to shadow doctors to ''make sure its what we want to do.'' Seriously who in this day and age doesn't know what docs do...

Your shadowing isnt much compared to what most of the pre-vets end up doing. 1000+ hours working in a clinical setting is pretty much the low end for normal for pre-vets who plan eventually work in a clinical setting.

Maybe law school just isnt that competitive?

well, the time and financial commitment isn't as great for business or law.

in medicine, there's ~8 years of postgraduate training (med school/residency) before you can even work as a physician on your own. if that's not bad enough, you're saddled with the debt from 4 years of med school.

after that great of an investment, it would be extremely hard to turn around and say "i'm going to quit medicine."

As a licensed attorney with a degree from a top 20 law school (of course that means (16-20), I wish I had been asked to shadow or at least explain really well why I wanted to be a lawyer before being admitted. Instead, I went because I couldn't think of anything else to do and now I'm looking to go back to school for a new career...