1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Are prestigious residency programs that great?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by jefftzeng, Dec 3, 2000.

1. jefftzeng

jefftzeng Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

This may sound like a silly question to some. Are some of the more prestigious residency programs (Johns Hopkins, Stanford, Mayo, etc.) that much better than other residencies. I'm not talking about one specialty over another. I'm talking about the actual residency program (hospital, school, etc.) Are they all not pretty close, or fairly close? They all have to be accredited, right? So, having similar and standardized curriculums for a given specialty, doesn't that mean that they are all the same? Someone please help me with this.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jawurheemd

jawurheemd xx ToXiC xx
    10+ Year Member

I would say that any residency program that you train at will give the skills to become a good physician. Having said that, I also feel that by going to a "prestigious" program, you are provided expereinces and opportunities that might not be available to you had you gone to a let's say, a local community hospital program. The presitigious programs are usually affiliated with hospitals that are known for their excellence as a tertiary center. Consequently, if you are at one of these programs you'll be exposed to "fascinomas" that you would only read about in a textbook at another program. Going to a prestigious program will also put you in contact with leading experts in certain fields that may help you when you are looking for a fellowship position. Finding jobs after you graduated from a local community hospital may not be a problem if you are planning on staying in the area, but by going to a prestigious program, you are opening doors across the country. I feel, however, that you should go to a training program that you feel the most comfortable at. There are many personalities out there when you look at training program -- you'll get the most out of a residency if your personality matches that of the residency program. These are just some thoughts. Hope this helps.

-james