Are private student loans easily obtainable for medical school even if you have debt (unsubsidized, subsidized, & private) from undergrad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDiDa111

Reaction score
Or does that debt hinder the chances of getting approved for private student loans for medical school?

I just want to know before I get a bachelor's degree and spend all this time and energy getting into medical school, and then can't even afford it.
I know I can automatically get subsidized and unsubsidized loans for medical school but the maximum allowance won't be enough to cover 100% of the cost.
Do most medical students have no problem getting private financial aid despite having student loan debt from undergraduate school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, as long you have good credit and/or a cosigner with good credit. The bad thing about Private student loans though is that you don't have the option to repay base on your income level like Federal loans do, and there's no debt forgiveness program. Plus their interest rates are usually higher than Federal loans. These reasons are why I avoided school that are not eligible for Federal loans when I was applying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Cross posted. If you wish to respond go to:

Status
Not open for further replies.