MA/MS Are psychotherapists trained in every modality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a psychotherapist whether it's an LCSW or LPC etc. Do you have training in and are able to practice every modality of psychotherapy (ie. Psychodynamic, cognitive behavioral etc.)?

Or do they just give u a basic foundational training in psychotherapy in general and then you get training in a specific modality that you choose to practice?

Members don't see this ad.

2nd one - although, and this is program dependent, you should be able to train it at least one EBI during your time in grad school with the foundations for other theoretical orientations provided in the general curriculum e.g. you are not trained in MSFT but should understand the history and framework after a families course. What you are exposed to also depends on the professors and placements you have. For example, my school happens to have an academic concentration and field training program that allow me to receive a significant amount of training in TF-CBT through coursework and hands on training/practice. You'll want/need additional training to be truly competent in any modality, regardless.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say most programs provide broad exposure to different modalities, but there tends to be favoritism toward the behavioral therapies (CBT, DBT, ACT) and humanistic therapies. More focused training is usually offered at field placement sites. Generally, one or many behavioral therapy approaches are promoted, though this is not always the case.

If you want to specialize in a specific therapy approach, I recommend finding out which professors and field placements most ally with what you want to specialize in, and then seize every opportunity you can with them. Then, consider post-graduate training and clinical supervision in your area of interest. Of course, undertaking your own self-study as well as your own psychotherapy is also valuable.