• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

colts

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2008
Status (Visible)
Are the NBME practice test questions weighted (harder questions weighted more than easier questions)?

Meaning can two people who both got the same percent on an NBME practice exam have two different scores?

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Are the NBME practice test questions weighted (harder questions weighted more than easier questions)?

Meaning can two people who both got the same percent on an NBME practice exam have two different scores?

I don't think so. The real thing will be that harder questions will be the better differentiators between high performing and lower performing students.

There are experimental questions and/or sections on each exam though and I don't think these are scored as part of your exam.

johndoe3344

10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
And yet they still are the best predictors of the real score...

I can't even imagine how complex the algorithm (and how meticulously it was derived) for that to work so well.

About the Ads

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was under the impression that it is scaled, how could it not be?

I think it's scaled by difficulty of the overall exam (i.e. a 65% on one exam does not equal the same board score as a 65% on another exam).

I don't think easy questions on your exam are scaled differently than hard questions though. So, in the case of 1 student getting 20 easy questions wrong and 10 hard questions wrong vs. a student getting 30 hard questions wrong on the same exact test....those individuals would still receive the same Board score.

In other words, hard questions aren't worth 1.5 points, and easy questions worth 1. Which is how I thought the OP was trying to discuss things.

colts

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2008
Status (Visible)
I'm pretty sure the real exam is not weighted in terms of some questions being counted more than other questions, but the NBME practice exams may be weighted only because I have seen people get the same 3 digit score with different percent correct.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.