Are relationships falling apart Post-acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am just wondering if there are any other people who have had relationships fall apart post acceptance to medical school.

I know that after getting 5 acceptances my GF dumped me...and of all the reasons she cited this as why.

*note* she is applying to dental school and got rejected from every school we both applied to and has not even been offered an interview at any school yet. I think this is why she "freaked out" and dumped me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ouch that sucks. It's always stressful when you can't seem to make it up the hill and your partner is doing well with ease. If it's any consolation you guys would probably have never made it through the stresses of med school if she couldn't handle this. Good luck though...

I am just wondering if there are any other people who have had relationships fall apart post acceptance to medical school.

I know that after getting 5 acceptances and my GF dumped me...and of all the reasons she cited this as why.

*note* she is applying to dental school and got rejected from every school we both applied to and has not even been offered an interview at any school yet. I think this is why she "freaked out" and dumped me.

Sorry, but consider yourself lucky. If she dumped you because she didn't get into school like you did, she didn't love you. Be glad you got out now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...I just dont ever know if I can get another girl that hot into sleeping with me.
(not to mention she was an amazing and very upbeat person)

Last edited:
Yeah...I just dont ever know if I can trick another girl that hot into sleeping with me.

What does the mother look like?

Yeah...I just dont ever know if I can trick another girl that hot into sleeping with me.

Dude, consider yourself lucky. I don't think I will ever get a hot girl to sleep with me. Sigh, at least I have Halo, MCAT books, and the Periodic Table. I rule.

Well, this is probably not going to help very much, but no, actually I've had several offers for *dates* after I got accepted to medical school.

Apparently a successful woman *can* be a very attractive thing. :p

Sorry though, sankondbest. :( Maybe she'll change her mind. Just hang in there and wait it out.

Dude, consider yourself lucky. I don't think I will ever get a hot girl to sleep with me. Sigh, at least I have Halo, MCAT books, and the Periodic Table. I rule.

Hehe...maybe that's part of your problem :confused:;) (just teasing)

Hehe...maybe that's part of your problem :confused:;) (just teasing)

Heyyy do you want to go on a date with me?? I promise not to talk about those things. We can talk about YOU (and you only). It's a trick I learned in "Dating 101 for Pre-Meds" :laugh:

Don't fret prostitution is legal in many places in the world, including in parts of the US! :p Also med school is a major life transition and for many a geographic transition, I'm not surprised that many relationships would be affected by it.

Heyyy do you want to go on a date with me?? I promise not to talk about those things. We can talk about YOU (and you only). It's a trick I learned in "Dating 101 for Pre-Meds" :laugh:

:laugh: I'm pretty sure my boyfriend wouldn't like that too much, though.

AskMen.com is the way to go. Seriously. Actually, I read it from time to time.

Relationships failing? That's funny. My girlfriend's friends--after she told them that I got into med school--told her to emphatically stick with me, because "she'll be set for life." She hates that! I'm lucky because I've been with her when med school wasn't even a consideration! Our relationship is fine.

I got dumped the day after I got accepted. I am probably the least happy person to ever have been accepted to medical school. At least Im a stud muffin and will be able to find a date when i get over my emotional thrashing.

Members don't see this ad :)

Aw man. Back to my ugly girlfriend, nucleophiles, and beating Halo on Legendary.

Actually I'm just messin' around. I'm not really that bad. ;)

I promised myself no girlfriends until after the MCAT...i just dont trust them to not screw with my head at this point hahaha.

Also told myself to never date another premed...i imagined it would lead to some competition issues which I have avoided thus far by being a history major...works like a charm.

I got dumped the day after I got accepted. I am probably the least happy person to ever have been accepted to medical school. At least Im a stud muffin and will be able to find a date when i get over my emotional thrashing.

**** yea, although this elicits a poor holiday season, shouldn't last too long. I'm going through the same thing...

I promised myself no girlfriends until after the MCAT...i just dont trust them to not screw with my head at this point hahaha.

Yeah, I used to think the same way - that I needed to focus on doing well in school and so shouldn't get myself distracted by girls. But remember, it's just going to get harder, so imposing rules like this for yourself would mean that you'll never date anyone!

eh, so be it. Told my mom today she wasnt having grandkids for quite some time thanks to med school.

I think shes sad now hahaha.

....it's just going to get harder, so imposing rules like this for yourself would mean that you'll never date anyone!

lol aaaand your point is..........................?

Dating is overrated. :love:

Last edited:
Aw man. Back to my ugly girlfriend, nucleophiles, and beating Halo on Legendary.

Actually I'm just messin' around. I'm not really that bad. ;)

:D Sounds like you have a good sense of humor which is the important first step :thumbup:
----

Yeah, my boyfriend thinks it's super-hot that I'm smart. I'm not a bad-looking girl, but I love that he values my intelligence because my looks will probably be gone in less than 40 years. He's totally supportive of me going to medical school (even though I told him it'd be a long hard path with a lot of studying).

To Sankondbest -- I'm sure you'll find the same thing eventually. As a woman who values her own career and the career of her spouse, I don't quite get why your girlfriend would end the relationship post-acceptance. But every woman is different, I guess. :confused:

I know that after getting 5 acceptances my GF dumped me...and of all the reasons she cited this as why.

My relationship has not fallen apart, but she has definitely already had a freak out/break down. She is only a junior so has another year at our school. Weve been together for about two years now, and she gets sad when I talk about leaving. Luckily, I know i'll be close (about 45 min) now and no longer need to worry about "what happens when you go to iowa?" After an hour or so of tears, we managed to have a decent conversatin and seem good for now! I hope it works out!

Wow, what is WRONG with all you guys' girlfriends? They don't want you to be doctors? This makes pretty much no sense to me.

Wow, what is WRONG with all you guys' girlfriends? They don't want you to be doctors? This makes pretty much no sense to me.
Probably immaturity, lack of life experience, and lack of a true solid relationship base.

Probably immaturity, lack of life experience, and lack of a true solid relationship base.

Yeah, and I mean I understand in cases like ryserr's where distance is going to be an issue. Maybe it's the distance thing in most of these cases :confused:.

Yeah, and I mean I understand in cases like ryserr's where distance is going to be an issue. Maybe it's the distance thing in most of these cases :confused:.
Yea that is likely too, long distance relationships can be brutal and certainly are not for everyone.

Wow what a dumb thing to do. I guess she didn't want to be involved with a future doctor. She'll probably go find some loser and end up miserable and regret breaking up with you for the rest of her life. Sucks for her.

Yeah... doctors and future doctors are notorious for being non-eligible bachelors :laugh:

What does the mother look like?

.. LOL

ouch

If you want real advice on woman, pm me and I will direct you to real resources.

AskMen.com is unrealistic and the writers simply don't have a clue. In fact, AskMen.com is like using girls for a resource on how to get girls (and we all know that girls are the worst source on how to get girls :laugh:).

this guy has the right idea

Also told myself to never date another premed...i imagined it would lead to some competition issues which I have avoided thus far by being a history major...works like a charm.

I broke up with my girlfriend a month ago, right before my birthday. I decided its better to be free during this stressful MCAT and research semester. I instead decided that I'm going to develop 3-4 close "friends" so I don't have to do the committment thing.

Yea that is likely too, long distance relationships can be brutal and certainly are not for everyone.

Yeah, to be honest, my relationship might be in a bit of trouble if we have to be long-distance for > 6 months to a year...:( The good news is that he's in a position to be flexible with his career. I guess that's not true for everyone.

So maybe it makes more sense than I originally thought.

think of it like this... smart and mature girls like yourself make good, sensible decisions. The decisions of dumb and immature girls are usually the exact opposite of what smart and mature girls would do under the same circumstances.

AskMen.com is unrealistic and the writers simply don't have a clue. In fact, AskMen.com is like using girls for a resource on how to get girls (and we all know that girls are the worst source on how to get girls :laugh:).

Aw really? I have to admit, I'm not much of a girl-chaser -- I have limited experience in that arena. Anyone else have opinions on askmen.com? Sorta seemed to me like they were on the right track. But who knows.

who needs gf's when you can have friends with benefits ;)

eh, so be it. Told my mom today she wasnt having grandkids for quite some time thanks to med school.

I think shes sad now hahaha.

At least it's better than telling your mom you don't want to have kids at all.

And to OP: you should thank yourself that she broke up with you now. Who knows, if you both got into same school, then you goto that school purely for her rather than for youself, and get dumped the night of her dental orientation, you'd be alot more depressed than you are now.

Aw really? I have to admit, I'm not much of a girl-chaser -- I have limited experience in that arena. Anyone else have opinions on askmen.com? Sorta seemed to me like they were on the right track. But who knows.

Never really seen much too much of it...I thought it was kind of like the internet version of Maxim, no?

It is absolute, utter trash. The fact that you, as a woman, think it is correct goes to show this without doubt. Women have no idea what women want. No offense, it's simply true.

Yeah, to be honest, my relationship might be in a bit of trouble if we have to be long-distance for > 6 months to a year...:(

Yeah, no kidding! I mean, I'd stick it out if I was engaged to the guy or something, but otherwise I don't think it would work. I have relationship needs that involve being in the same room together on a fairly regular basis...

I broke up with my boyfriend three days after getting into medical school--that being said, breaking up with him was long overdue and i'm glad i finally got the guts to do it :thumbup:

It is absolute, utter trash. The fact that you, as a woman, think it is correct goes to show this without doubt. Women have no idea what women want. No offense, it's simply true.

Only Mel Gibson knows what women want.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

So what do women want, Retsage? ;)

Yeah, no kidding! I mean, I'd stick it out if I was engaged to the guy or something, but otherwise I don't think it would work. I have relationship needs that involve being in the same room together on a fairly regular basis...

Yeah. We'll see what happens come May...

Nah, plenty of guys do too. They're the ones who can pull with no issue. Women, unfortunately, are raised on chivalric Disney nonsense which goes completely against their evolutionary predispositions. Quick example, as I'm rather sleepy - watch a romantic movie. Undoubtedly, the girl will freak out over absolutely nothing, act crazy and test the guy to prove his love (instead of, you know, having a mature discussion on what the problem is). He will then have to pass it and basically prostrate himself, as no self-respecting human being should ever do, to get her back. She, of course, melts for this and they live happily ever after.

Does this work in real life? Of course not. Women hate guys who put up with their **** and play through their little mind games. Or, rather, they don't sleep with them. They call them their friends and bitch to them when the guy they are having sex with won't listen.

yeaa the distance for sure is an issue, but not only that just the time that med school is going to consume can make one worry too! Its probably freaky to be a SO of someone starting med school! I know shes just assuming the worst and that i'll be locked in room 24/7 and not able to spend any time with her :mad:. I'm gonna do my best to make sure that doesnt happen.

Yeah so where do broke ass medical students go to pick up women? (Translation: where do the future gold diggers hang out?)

Yeah so where do broke ass medical students go to pick up women? (Translation: where do the future gold diggers hang out?)

no matter where it its, dont be that guy that shows up to the bar in his scrubs, with his med school ID badge around his neck :laugh:.

I feel your pain. My recent boyfriend dumped me too. Didn't like the fact that I would move away for med school and didn't like the fact that I was telling him to quit smoking (although he knew when we started dating that I work in public health :mad:). I agree with the above posts- these "dumpers" lack a certain level of maturity.

good question. im all ears haha. god its gonna take forever to have an actual income :mad:

At my undergrad, some girls I knew would have lunch in the hospital cafe hoping a med. student etc would pick them up. Which is quite lame. Also why would you want a gold digger?

Nah, plenty of guys do too. They're the ones who can pull with no issue. Women, unfortunately, are raised on chivalric Disney nonsense which goes completely against their evolutionary predispositions. Quick example, as I'm rather sleepy - watch a romantic movie. Undoubtedly, the girl will freak out over absolutely nothing, act crazy and test the guy to prove his love (instead of, you know, having a mature discussion on what the problem is). He will then have to pass it and basically prostrate himself, as no self-respecting human being should ever do, to get her back. She, of course, melts for this and they live happily ever after.

Does this work in real life? Of course not. Women hate guys who put up with their **** and play through their little mind games. Or, rather, they don't sleep with them. They call them their friends and bitch to them when the guy they are having sex with won't listen.

Oh. My. God. Are you a woman or a man? From your avatar I'd say woman but I've been wrong so many times before that I'm just not going to take a chance here.

Why do women like bad men? And do they see them as long-term partners? I'd be interested to hear what you women have to say about htis. Do you like bad men?