waterlily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
Status
I just got the list of textbooks that are required and that are recommended for my school. I'm just wondering if the required textbooks are really required? Like will we have reading assignments from them and will those be extremely useful when it comes to the tests? And what are your thoughts on buying the recommended textbooks? I'm just trying to figure out what I should purchase since I want to save as much money as I can.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
waterlily said:
I just got the list of textbooks that are required and that are recommended for my school. I'm just wondering if the required textbooks are really required? Like will we have reading assignments from them and will those be extremely useful when it comes to the tests? And what are your thoughts on buying the recommended textbooks? I'm just trying to figure out what I should purchase since I want to save as much money as I can.
Required texts are sometimes required, but usually not. Certainly you will need some form of anatomy atlas, although any version should suffice. In most cases, you will get all the info you need to do well in the course from the course noteset and sometimes lectures/slides. Some schools actually have books you are supposed to read. Most just give cross references, and if you don't understand something in the notes, you are encouraged to look them up. Recommended texts, in my experience, are never required. You can usually peruse it in the library as needed. I would buy nothing until you speak to upperclassmen and see what's what.

So most schools do not have any sort of reading assignments (even the general "We're covering stuff from chapter 38 today" sort)?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
grogdamighty said:
So most schools do not have any sort of reading assignments (even the general "We're covering stuff from chapter 38 today" sort)?
You will know the topic of the lecture and the portion of the noteset that purportedly covers it. The rest is really up to you. You will not typically be called on, and generally attendance is optional. The test at the end will determine whether you did adequate readings. No more spoon feeding. Just a truckload of food for you to have at it via whatever method works.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Don't buy any books until you talk to some second years and find out which books really are useful and which are pointless. There are no reading assignments or whatever, you're just responsible for learning the material you cover in lecture - if you need readings from books to accomplish that then use the books, otherwise don't bother.

Medical123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2001
Visit site
Status
grogdamighty said:
The only class that I recall that we had specific reading assignments for was my 1st and 2nd year Practice of Medicine Class. These sessions were taught in small group format and we expected to discuss the reading assignments. However, specific reading assignments will vary from school to school. Talk to upperclassmen at your school to get a good idea of what books are really needed.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
waterlily said:
No. I never bought/used any of the required textbooks other than lab manuals in medical school. You can get all the test info from the notes.