journeybegins

7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2010
Status
Dental Student
While at the bookstore at my school the other day, I was looking through some DAT preparatory books, and there were rows of Schaum's Outline books of various subjects from programming with C++ to psychology.

I looked through some of the subjects necessary for the DAT, and I thought, "not bad."

Has anyone used Schaum's Outline books for studying for the DAT, and did you find them useful and comprehensive enough, or is the info watered-down?

If you found them useful, which subject books did you use?

Would you recommend starting out with the Schaum's Outline in beginning preparatory studying, or would it be a complete waste of time? Should I start out with something else?

UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
While at the bookstore at my school the other day, I was looking through some DAT preparatory books, and there were rows of Schaum's Outline books of various subjects from programming with C++ to psychology.

I looked through some of the subjects necessary for the DAT, and I thought, "not bad."

Has anyone used Schaum's Outline books for studying for the DAT, and did you find them useful and comprehensive enough, or is the info watered-down?

If you found them useful, which subject books did you use?

Would you recommend starting out with the Schaum's Outline in beginning preparatory studying, or would it be a complete waste of time? Should I start out with something else?
Many people here use cliffs ap biology, many also use schaums biology.

I have both. Schaums seems to be somewhat in more detail in some areas. It is also a big longer. Some say it is more detailed than you have to know and stick to cliffs.

Some also use the organic chemistry books, but not many. I have never read it though.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
I had both schaum's biology and general chemistry. and I didn't like them, they are basically textbooks with ALOT of problems and solutions. The level of detail of the biology and the difficulty of the chemistry questions pushed me away from using them because it was way too much for the DAT..... I am not saying they were bad resources, just way too boring (its 90% text and not many pictures for biology) and way too difficult for general chemistry.

Your better off staying with Kaplan Blue book, Cliff's ap biology (or barrons ap biology), DAT destroyer, and your old college text books for referencing