SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Are science "research for credit" grades counted in bcmp gpa?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by trojanMD, Apr 26, 2007.

1. trojanMD

trojanMD 2+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2007
    I am hoping to scrounge up all the gpa points i can get, so I am just wondering how research for credit grades are integrated in gpa calculations. More specifically, if it counts towards bcpm gpa. I received a research for credit grade, which required a bit of work including papers and such, and it has a bio prefix.

Additionally, for those of you who have applied and went through the Amcas process, how liberal is AMCAS with counting courses that are not traditional, notorious science classes (i.e. gerontology, neuroscience, psychobiology, etc.)?

Thanks for the help!

Oh yeah, first post!! Woohoo:hardy: :hardy: :cool:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. karmega5

karmega5 MS2 2+ Year Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Florida
    The research, yup, it let me count. I also counted psychobio and neuroscience, but I think gerontology might count elsewhere (social science maybe?).

4. PickleLuvrrr

PickleLuvrrr 2+ Year Member

Feb 12, 2007
    i did a few quarters of research for credit, and i'm pretty sure it was all counted in my bcpm gpa. they all had a "bio" prefix. it was a nice boost!

5. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    research for credit = upper division bio = A (unless your PI is a retard)

and yes. it's an AMCAS A. and it does wonders for your BCPM :)

I think there's a "social science" classification for psych and stuff, psychobio you might be able to swing bio though, there's only one way to find out!

6. mdm2fly

mdm2fly 5+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2007
    what if your research was pass/fail? what do you do then?

7. Tired

Tired Fading away 7+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ditto. I also got to name the course myself, so I tried to give them fancy-sounding names so that it wasn't obvious that it was research credit.