Are SLORs valuable if more than 1yr old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyline42

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking one year off between MS3 and MS4 to complete another degree program at an outside institution.

I have the option of doing my EM rotations either in the summer before the program (2012), or the summer after the program (2013). I would submit ERAS in fall 2013.

I have a preference to do my EM rotations this summer, and spend next summer on an experience related to my advanced degree. However, I wonder if programs will consider my SLORs less valuable since they will be over a year old by the time I apply and not as recent as those of other applicants.

Did a search and could not find a related thread to my question. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask the EM PD at your home institution. Your other option is you dont have a home PD is to do the virtual advisor through SAEM if they are still doing that. Another option is just to email a well known PD or IMO a group of PDs (each individually) to seek their input. The advice of other med students, residents, or attendings on here who arent PDs or asst PDs is likely not going to be too helpful.