Are some ECs better than others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnvictus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or should I continue focusing on doing what I enjoy? Ignoring research/shadowing/volunteering ECs. Heard some people speaking at a mini seminar saying that leadership positions in medical/health related ECs are better than others.

EDIT: Ok so in my specific case, I'm comparing a mental awareness group with an amateur rowing team that I would like to pursue. Not sure if I can do both since I was just elected to a Vice President position for a dance troupe so I'm asking here

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My 2 cents:

Make sure all of your boxes are checked (because, hey, they have to be), but otherwise do whatever you want to do (as long as whatever you want to do isn't nothing). Don't do what other premeds do, or tell you to do, unless you want to. Enjoy your activities, don't make them chores.

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely need your boxes checked as the poster above said. Otherwise, other things will show dedication and help you stand out if you achieved something big. At least I'm really hoping my >14,000 hours in track and field + powerlifting (even half split, over last several years) will do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
ADCOMs have seen just about anything and everything under the sun. It's getting ridiculously hard to do anything unique. Thus, the best ECsarethose that will give you the best opportunity to get the best possible grades, highest MCAT score, and most amount of free time to actually enjoy yourself. What you actually do doesn't matterto ADCOMs. Therefore, if you're doing clinical volunteering, ED volunteering won't look any different than volunteering in an ICU.

ADCOMs want you to witness the clinical environment. There's no requirement to actually get a job or learn to do anything. So don't go searching for a volunteer opportunity to do sll these things. You may never find it... All you need to do is smell the patient.

Other ECs are good for checking the boxes. The more you check, the better, as long as you have a decent commitment in everything and it doesn't negatively affect your academics. Oh yeah, ADCOMs like long commitments... They don't like jumping around a bunch of activities with only a few hours each.

Also if you actually enjoy stuff, it might be a good idea to do it. But if you're moving through the typical pre-med motions and are just checking the boxes, then do whatever is most convenient to give you the strongest possible stats. That is far more important than any EC.

Campus club type ECs are relatively less helpful than other ECs. Leading a club can occasionally come up at interviews but most clubs are only useful as a springboard for discussion.