Are state schools easier than other universities? (Rutgers vs. BU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

escape3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking organic chemistry this summer and deciding between where to take it: a state school Rutgers, or Boston University. Are state schools are known to be easier in terms of easier competition/ a bigger curve? Do you think travel arrangements are important for summer courses? One takes ~2 hours commute per day and I have housing walking distance from another.

Both have equally good professors and I'm not worried about if it looks bad to take it at a school other than my home university (I don't go to either of these schools). at this point I just need to take this class to stay on the pre-med track

(btw if anyone knows anything about the class at any of the 2 schools, do you mind sending a private message? thanks!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
BU is notoriously known for grade deflation. What class do you want to take?

it depends on the school obviously. UofMich is the pre-med destroyer (so I'm told) where my state school UG only killed the weak.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no way to generalize that in all honesty.

One takes ~2 hours commute per day and I have housing walking distance from another.

If the professors are "equal," I would base my decision off of this alone.

Go to Rutgers. Boston will destroy you in a second.

:-/

Another thing is I attempted taking orgo at BU last summer but dropped for personal/health issues. I have the notes and took some of the tests so I know the professor's format. They have a 10% homework grade and 4 exams, dropping 1 lowest exam score. Rutgers has more grades (but no HW grade): 5 quizzes, 2 midterms, 1 final. And I know the grading cut-off for Orgo 2 at Rutgers is 80% = A

Does it really come down to the university as a whole for some universities? My experience was that it depended nearly 100% on the professor. You could have a class that was easy as can be or hard as **** depending on the professor (even when it was for the exact same course).

BU is notoriously known for grade deflation. What class do you want to take?

lol. yes BU will destroy your GPA.. they bell curve everything here.. i was one of 3 people who got an A in orgo 2 (if that says anything)

My experience:

Orgo I at Ivy League: C+
Orgo II at state U: A

Psssst... ratemyprofessor. You didn't hear that from me.

Sent from my VM670 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
lol. yes BU will destroy your GPA.. they bell curve everything here.. i was one of 3 people who got an A in orgo 2 (if that says anything)

We :bow::bow::bow: to you good sir!

Lmao, seriously though, look up "deflation US colleges" and BU and Princeton always make the list.

You do not want to go there for premed. 3.3's are considered high GPA's. That's all good and well for BU and their atmosphere, but little do Med Schools care about that. An "A" from joe shmoe is preferred over a "B" from BU.

Still, Hopkins remains the king of deflation. Everyone knows that.

Btw, Rutgers is a pretty good school, and they have good grad programs. Idk how its ranked and whatnot, but I think it rivals BU when it comes to prestige levels.

Psssst... ratemyprofessor. You didn't hear that from me.

Sent from my VM670 using SDN Mobile

already checked, haha. both schools have equally good ratings, i'm just wondering if there's a difference in the environments

:-/

Another thing is I attempted taking orgo at BU last summer but dropped for personal/health issues. I have the notes and took some of the tests so I know the professor's format. They have a 10% homework grade and 4 exams, dropping 1 lowest exam score. Rutgers has more grades (but no HW grade): 5 quizzes, 2 midterms, 1 final. And I know the grading cut-off for Orgo 2 at Rutgers is 80% = A
Sounds like you already have your answer...

lol 2 people on this thread already wrote "inflation" for "deflation". Most people don't complain about inflation.. :rolleyes: harvard

grades are very important if you want to get into med school. it will be easier to do well at rutgers than at bu.

Depends really.
UMSL or Mizzou = Where pre-meds go to flourish.
SLU = Where pre-meds go to die.