Are summer classes counted towards the recently completed school year or the upcoming school year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lull

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question above

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve always just treated it as part of the past one. Ex fall 2018, winter 2019, spring 2019,summer 2019 grouped together as 1 school “year”. It really doesn’t matter though

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter because you don't put your year in school into AMCAS. You just put the term (F, W, Spr, Sum, etc.) and the actual year (2017-2018). AMCAS puts F, SO, JR, SR.

It depends on credits more than anything. I took classes in the Spring that counted as the following year (SO) and Summer that counted as the previous year (JR).

Reactions: 2 users
Depends on the institution. My undergrad had the summer lumped in with the previous year. For example, for the 2012-2013 academic year, summer sessions 1 and 2 (June and July) of 2013 fit into the 2012-2013 school year, NOT 2013-2014

The above information is incorrect. AMCAS academic year starts summer term and GPA are calculated as such when you apply as such. You can also group by credit totals

On my AMCAS they counted this summer class towards the previous year (between Jr and Sr)
1575489654014.png

And this Spring class towards the following year (between Fr and So)
1575489725001.png

At my school Spring term is before Summer, so I'm not really sure what they were thinking.

Reactions: 1 user