Are Summer/Winter Classes Frowned upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProPenguin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently on track to do these courses over the Summer - English Writing Course, Physics I and Lab Component ; Pre-Calc; mostly to catch up as well as raise my GPA. I was wondering if this is the last time I should take summer courses or would it be fine to continue to add in classes over the Summer and Winter sessions. Would it negatively affect my app? I heard some people say that "Summer courses are easier and adcoms look at them poorly", is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

It kinda depends. You're going to take Physics II during the regular school year, which is good. Will this be at your four-year or will it be at a community college?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good. So the reasons are that sometimes a compressed summer schedule and usually not the main teacher might mean an easier class. As far as medical schools go, they only care about sciences over the summer and may ding you if it looks like you are trying to avoid the weedouts. Since you are taking mainly nonsciences and your science will be followed up by the next course over a regular semester, you're fine. (That's the general advice. It's okay to take something over the summer or at a CC so long as you take a higher level course in the same subject later.)

Currently on track to do these courses over the Summer - English Writing Course, Physics I and Lab Component ; Pre-Calc; mostly to catch up as well as raise my GPA. I was wondering if this is the last time I should take summer courses or would it be fine to continue to add in classes over the Summer and Winter sessions. Would it negatively affect my app? I heard some people say that "Summer courses are easier and adcoms look at them poorly", is that true?
One or two sciences won't matter

Gonnif says yes. LizzyM says no.

A few Schools state on their websites that they frown upon summer or CC courses. You may have to go look at the ones in which you want to apply to be sure.

When you guys say 1-2 Science courses does that mean Pre-Reqs? Or any BCPM course which would prevent me from taking any sort of sGPA booster over theses sessions.

No Gonnif says 1-2 is not detrimental
@gonnif

No, not no. Maybe, "in addition to that he also says 1-2 is ok". The OP says they are interested in doing it for multiple winters/summer sessions.

Here are some of his replies on the topic.

Classes give in summer in a compressed time frame are generally seen as less rigorous and/or complete as classes taught during the typical terms.

Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.
Premeds need to learn nuance and read what I write. As I initially posted

A nonpreq at a CC, 4 year or home school is fine
A prereq or two in the summer is ok, at home school
taking at a near by 4 year or CC can raise a slight question as if you were avoiding something
I think it is a low risk
Only one that is likely to get really question is Organic in the Summer at a CC

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My reputation precedes me. Thanks @OchemOficionado saves me the trouble of explaining yet again.

Taking a few classes prereqs in the summer/winter-break wont be an issue. Doing more than that really depends on your overall background, major, school, etc. I wouldnt expect to see a biochem major with the majority of reqs off-season, but a history major trying to fit them in might. Additionally, in this day and age of expensive schools, student debt, and part time/mixed enrollment, things are more lax than in the past.

When it comes to taking courses at home institution: what about if two courses have conflicting times, and I need to cross-register at a neighboring 4-yr college in order to fit that course in my schedule (for example, physics 2 and cell bio are held at the same time, so I need to take physics at the neighboring school in order to have taken it before the mcat). Does that raise any flags at all? Imo it shouldn't matter, but I was wondering what adcoms might think of this.