Technology are tablet PCs worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Thinkpads are getting more affordable now that newer models are coming out.

the newest Thinkpad Tablet will be the X200. This will replace the X61/X60 which replaced the X41/X40

So, if you want to get a used (or refurbished) X41 - those are the cheapest. You can also find some incredible deals on the X60 and X61 tablets. Expect the deals to get even better after the X200 Tablet launches.

I'm still using my X41 and I love it!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm rocking out on a new hp tx2500us right now. classes haven't started yet, but i was super impressed by the handwriting recognition software and the overall performance so far. the back right corner gets really hot, though, but i have been running it on the medium-high power settings, so maybe it will be better when i'm just taking some notes on the low settings. the price was great for a tablet too (base ~1000), and you can probably get it for cheaper (there are some coupons floating around the net for hp's).

Wigglytooth - are you using it primarily as a notebook and occasionally as a tablet?

I bought the tx2500 as well for the same price, and I ended up returning it. The main issues I had with it were the heat in the right corner and the weight. It gets way too hot after 15 minutes even while surfing/word making using it on the go uncomfortable - though bearable. Most of these small laptops have a heat problem. 4.3 lb isn't heavy for a notebook but used in slate mode for extended periods, I found it a bit heavy. The fan also felt too loud unless the cpu was set to the lowest state = onenote/powerpoint slow down quite a bit especially whenthe larger files are bursting with uncompressed images. I have to admit that the touchscreen was excellent and precise for both pen and finger input though the screen was noticeably grainy, and writing feels fairly natural because your palm doesn't register. It was trying to be a jack of all trades that really didn't fully fit my needs in either respect.

If you don't watch HD movies and don't need touch screen support, then the tx2000 should be more than enough for half the price or even a refurb latitude xt.

I went the way of realmd and ended up buying a cheap but light laptop with an external wacom bamboo tablet (that i'm loving!)

A user on tabletpcreview threw up a decent tablet pc guide for all price ranges: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=18554

Members don't see this ad :)
is 12.1" the standard screen size for tablets? I could have sworn that I used to see 13-15" at best buy....

You want a nice balance between size and usability. 12" seems like that perfect balance. Anything bigger gets too heavy for practical use. Anything much smaller is really hard on the eyes and you lose productivity typing and working on the screen.

Expect some great deals as IBM launches the X200 series to replace the X61 series of tablets.

Fujitsu just came out with some really nice new models.

There will be some really affordable EEE tablets soon.

I suggest you get a tablet that uses an active digitizer screen:
http://mdjosephkim.blogspot.com/2008/03/different-types-of-screens-on-tablet-pc.html

The prices are falling, so you can find a really nice one for much less these days.

Wigglytooth - are you using it primarily as a notebook and occasionally as a tablet?

I bought the tx2500 as well for the same price, and I ended up returning it. The main issues I had with it were the heat in the right corner and the weight. It gets way too hot after 15 minutes even while surfing/word making using it on the go uncomfortable - though bearable. Most of these small laptops have a heat problem. 4.3 lb isn't heavy for a notebook but used in slate mode for extended periods, I found it a bit heavy. The fan also felt too loud unless the cpu was set to the lowest state = onenote/powerpoint slow down quite a bit especially whenthe larger files are bursting with uncompressed images. I have to admit that the touchscreen was excellent and precise for both pen and finger input though the screen was noticeably grainy, and writing feels fairly natural because your palm doesn't register. It was trying to be a jack of all trades that really didn't fully fit my needs in either respect.

If you don't watch HD movies and don't need touch screen support, then the tx2000 should be more than enough for half the price or even a refurb latitude xt.

I went the way of realmd and ended up buying a cheap but light laptop with an external wacom bamboo tablet (that i'm loving!)

A user on tabletpcreview threw up a decent tablet pc guide for all price ranges: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=18554

right now i'm using it primarily as a notebook and then occasionally as a tablet -- i haven't started school yet so i've only played with it in tablet mode for a couple of hours. i plan on using it as a tablet for my lecture classes, and a notebook for when i need to type things/find time to play games (if possible). i noticed the heat, but i usually lower the power settings when i have to have it directly on my lap or put a comforter between myself and the machine so i don't get too hot. i propped it up with some books one day and this greatly increased the ventilation and thus decreased the heat and fan noise. i plan on getting some type of cooler for the home set up. i don't forsee the heat or weight as a problem in class since i will lean on an arm desk (whatever those flip up parts of desks are called). did you unload the bloatware before using it with pc decrapifyer? there are also some more things to lower the cpu usage, like turning off the wifi/microphone, etc. did you take out the cd drive when carrying it around? i considered going with the external tablet, but i didn't want to deal with more parts to carry and to lose/break.