Are the helminths high yield?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSKalltheway

I got the magic stick
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone got enough questions on helminths to warrant a significant amount of time on them...UW doesnt seem to think they are that important. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally didn't get any helminth questions on mine. I did get a few parasite questions, such as malaria and giardia (the gray tables in FA), so I think those are worth going over. As for the helminths, I think going over that list a few times and then once more the day before is good enough.

Of course that's only my experience with the test. Perhaps others will chime in. Good luck.

Parasites in general are not high yield. You'll get a lot more questions on bacterial and viral infections, so focus your efforts on that. For parasites - focus on just the major ones. I think I had one question on helminths - it was just knowing how one of the common ones infects people. Like opb, I had a few questions on common (or commonly tested) parasitic infections. Your focus really should be on bacterial and viral infections, though - many more detailed questions on those.

Parasites in general are not high yield. You'll get a lot more questions on bacterial and viral infections, so focus your efforts on that. For parasites - focus on just the major ones. I think I had one question on helminths - it was just knowing how one of the common ones infects people. Like opb, I had a few questions on common (or commonly tested) parasitic infections. Your focus really should be on bacterial and viral infections, though - many more detailed questions on those.

someone who recently took the test got a question about nagleria fowleri which i probably would have skipped looking at since its at the very of the table... now i'm actually going to try to go over throughly as i can even if i'll only get 1 question

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you guys are probably inundated with info right now so memorizing those damn helminths is low on your priority list. But if you have time/room in your hippocampus, memorize that page. It'll pay off at some point (if not on Step 1).

Case in point -- I impressed the hell out of a GI attending once during 4th year with my superb knowledge of helminth -- which was mostly from that one page in FA..:cool:

That and the one question I nailed on Step 1..:laugh:

wait a second... THAT's what the hippocampus does?!?! stores parasites?.... damn

Micro Bio Made R Simple presents 16 protozoans and 16 helminths. I memorized them just now. Hopefully the memory will retain (doubt).

The anti-protozoans and anti-helminth chapters in KT Pharm just suck for me. My school taught us probably 10% of those drugs.

I guess this will be a highly buzzword-based topic for me. For example, schistosoma = prazinquintel

wait a second... THAT's what the hippocampus does?!?! stores parasites?.... damn

Originally discovered by the Germans, the Hippocampus is a rare embryological remnant of the hippopotamus that guided Hippocrates' medical education . . .

If that whole medical thing doesn't work out for you guys, I think you two have a 2nd career in line...:smuggrin:

someone who recently took the test got a question about nagleria fowleri which i probably would have skipped looking at since its at the very of the table... now i'm actually going to try to go over throughly as i can even if i'll only get 1 question

Is that the ameba that caused a small outbreak of deaths in a U.S. lake not too long ago? If so, then I'm guessing it's either an experimental question or an old one they've brought back as a result of the 'current news'. Probably the latter.

Originally discovered by the Germans, the Hippocampus is a rare embryological remnant of the hippopotamus that guided Hippocrates' medical education . . .

Helminths is just how folks with lisps ask you to pass the mayo by brand name, and I believe that a hippo-campus is just a school for gifted hippopotamuses. Either way, it's bad news to hear that it's being overrun by parasites.:scared:

Yeah, if this is the one that goes up the nose through the cribiform plate, it reportedly shows up on the Step exam now and then.

I had an ascaris question on my step 1. That was the only worm question.

In general, bacteria, virology, and mycology (in descending order) are definitely much higher yield than parasites. I had a question on Chagas disease - that was my only protozoa question. I don't remember any on worms.

Helminths is just how folks with lisps ask you to pass the mayo by brand name, and I believe that a hippo-campus is just a school for gifted hippopotamuses. Either way, it's bad news to hear that it's being overrun by parasites.:scared:

You crack me up! I just busted out laughing! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As a follow up, I only had 1 helminth question on my exam...glad I didnt sit there for hours trying to pound that page into my head!