Are the hyperlearning books any good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have kaplan books, examcrackers 1001 series, and just got berkeley review books. I am looking into buying EK bio review since its recommended, and wanted to get princeton reviews hyperlearning books. Are these books different than the regular books you get if you sign up for the TPR class? And, are these books any good? I wanted to get maybe one or two (ie- maybe for bio, or for physics, i wouldnt get the whole set). And for those of you that have them, how are they like? Do they have review and passages in them? Are they very useful?

Members don't see this ad.

You really have to get EK Verbal 101.

If you REALLY want to buy another set of books (in other words, you do NOT need another set), I'd get EK over TPR. TPR is similar in style to Kaplan and BR, i.e. detail heavy. Furthermore, they're usually ranked in between Kaplan and BR with BR being better and Kaplan being worst.

I used my friend's TPR Hyperlearning books (2007 version) when prepping for the MCAT. The Hyperlearning books were given to her when she signed up for the $1500+ course. In all, she let me borrow 6 books - Biological Sciences Review (contains bio and o-chem); Physical Sciences Review (physics and g-chem); Science Workbook (practice passages w/ questions & answers); Verbal Workbook; Verbal Reasoning & Writing Review; and Practice Tests A-D.

Biological Sciences Review - The bio section was very helpful for me because it was detailed w/ thorough explanations. The questions scattered throughout the section really encourage you to apply concepts to topics that may be unknown to you, which is exactly what the MCAT will force you to do. The o-chem section was short, but the content was still explained well. I suppose the o-chem section was sufficient, since o-chem is a small section on the MCAT anyways.

Physical Sciences Review - Physics section was very helpful - again, detailed w/ good explanations. However, I felt that the g-chem section was too short and lacking. I had to study from other books to get more g-chem review.

Science Workbook - I really liked this. I spent most of my MCAT prep time doing content review and working out of this workbook simultaneously.

Verbal Workbook - Lots of verbal passages to work on. I saw a big improvement in my verbal skills as I worked through the book. However, this improvement didn't really translate to my actual MCAT. I'd suggest trying something else for verbal, although I'm not sure what.

Verbal Reasoning & Writing Review - Walks you through the essay. Shows examples of both poor and great essays. I spent a few days max going through this book and brainstorming examples on some of the hundreds of prompts listed on the AAMC (?) website.

Practice Tests A-D - Did not like this at all. These tests felt nothing like the AAMC tests, and as such, were not indicative of my actual MCAT score at all. Skip this book and just take AAMC tests instead.

I spent a little over 2 months prepping for the MCAT (but I treated it like a job - studied all day, everyday). The only prep material I used were these Hyperlearning books, previous AAMC tests, and an old g-chem textbook. If I had to re-take it (which I'm not), I'd supplement these Hyperlearning books with other verbal material & perhaps other g-chem material, AND I'd give myself more time to take nothing but practice tests.

Hyperlearning books are great. I used only Hyperlearning and EK books for my MCAT prep. I was totally satisfied with the Hyperlearning course. If you can try to take the course too.