Are the MCAT questions similar to the ACS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sully677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the ACS for organic this week, and I was just curious if these questions were similar to the ochem part of the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the ACS for organic this week, and I was just curious if these questions were similar to the ochem part of the MCAT?

Some of it does show up as discrete questions or on a related passage with question attached after it. However, most of it though utilizes more critical thinking rather than simple regurgitation of facts.

Yes, insofar as they are both multiple choice o-chem questions.

But the ACS is going to be exactly like the practice problems in their study guide (several of the questions WILL be the exact same), while the MCAT may seem to be nothing like the practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea the ACS organic is hella easy, like ghostfoot said, it is pretty similar to the study guide, crammed in one night with the guide and got 90th percentile.
I don't plan on the MCAT being anything like the ACS exam though.

Yea the ACS organic is hella easy, like ghostfoot said, it is pretty similar to the study guide, crammed in one night with the guide and got 90th percentile.
I don't plan on the MCAT being anything like the ACS exam though.
Same here, the ACS isn't that bad.

And, the MCAT orgo is usually easier than the ACS in general, but its the rest of the MCAT (not usually the orgo stuff) that is the problem. :laugh: In addition, the MCAT orgo is just different than the ACS orgo in that in ACS you're just expected to know all the Orgo I and II basics, whereas in the MCAT you're most likely going to learn new information and have to apply it.

Just curious, why would one take the ACS ochem exam? Just for fun? Are there any benefits for scoring well?

Just curious, why would one take the ACS ochem exam? Just for fun? Are there any benefits for scoring well?

I had to take it at my community college because for my ochem to transfer to Berkeley we had to score higher than 70th percentile(?), ended up not even transferring tho so was kind of pointless.

My Ochem II class had it as our final. I think it generally taken by chem majors, especially if they're looking to get into grad school.