Aug 8, 2013
Status
Hi,

Lets say, the Pharmacist knows exactly what he/she is dealing with regarding the medication with the dose/side effects/interactions/etc -> Would they just be able to put the money in the till and buy the medication them selves?.

can they do it for RX or even Controlled?.

Thanks

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Hi,

Lets say, the Pharmacist knows exactly what he/she is dealing with regarding the medication with the dose/side effects/interactions/etc -> Would they just be able to put the money in the till and buy the medication them selves?.

can they do it for RX or even Controlled?.

Thanks
Legally, no. I suppose you can get away with it with non-controlled medications like BP, diabetes, cholesterol, abx, dermatology meds and whatnot. Except the only thing is that there would be extra money in the register since there wouldn't be a "transaction" taking place. Now if the pharmacist owned the pharmacy, it would be pretty easy to just take the non-controlled stuff, and since they own the pharmacy they don't have to put the money into the register since they already paid for it.

Reactions: tim46

Hello2000

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
No, a pharmacist is not an MD, a pharmacist, just like Joe Schmoe still needs a prescription for a prescription medicine. Sure you could take it from the pharmacy but you are opening a whole can of worms if you get caught. What a strange question anyway???????

Apr 17, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Superb question. Well last time I checked, the pharmacy shelves were littered with scheduled medications that weren't making money for the pharmacy. So I can't see any reason why anyone would take issue with 'You' just taking/using any of the medications stored there. As long as you pay for them. A good idea would be to make sure the cameras capture you paying for them and keeping the receipt to prove you paid for them.
Hope that helps. Welcome to the site.

Digsbe

7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
Nope, you still legally need a prescription. Just because a drug may be in your pharmacy or you paid for it as the owner you still can't legally use it without a prescription.

OP
tim46
Aug 8, 2013
Status
ahha ahh ok Thank You,
It just really interests me, thanks.

Do you guys not think that the laws should be limited?, the laws in the US are extremely over rated and you folks are living with laws back in the middle ages.

Digsbe

7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
ahha ahh ok Thank You,
It just really interests me, thanks.

Do you guys not think that the laws should be limited?, the laws in the US are extremely over rated and you folks are living with laws back in the middle ages.
What kind of laws, do you mean pharmacists being able to prescribe or self-prescribe? There are many many many laws regulating healthcare, especially pharmacy.