tesla123

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
92
0
Status
I read that several of the postings mention a rejection presecondary, but I thought that most schools have automatic secondaries? :confused:
 

Art Vandalay

Architect
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
109
3
Status
Some schools screen applicants before requesting secondaries. If you meet the cut, then you get the secondary. UPitt, NYU, and some state schools do it. Although, you are right... some of the data looks bogus. At one school, I saw a caucasian male was admitted with a 22 MCAT... I guess it's possible, but it is surprising.
 

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
5,046
7
36
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm sure there are some fake postings at mdapplicants.com, but most are real. And as for secondaries: many schools screen pre-secondary, so getting one is not always guaranteed.
 

ajt2003

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
585
2
Status
UCLAstudent said:
I'm sure there are some fake postings at mdapplicants.com, but most are real. And as for secondaries: many schools screen pre-secondary, so getting one is not always guaranteed.
mine's real, mine's real! :p
 

Wiggy73

MS I's have more fun
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
361
3
studying anatomy
Status
I know Vanderbilt also screens presecondary. Try a search for this year's "Schools That Screen" thread if you're really curious.

Mine's real too! :p
 

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
543
1
49
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Mine's real. And I sure got rejected pre-secondary at UCSF and Washington. The West Coast just wasn't meant to be for me...
 

Without Wax

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
155
1
Status
Wiggy73 said:
I know Vanderbilt also screens presecondary. Try a search for this year's "Schools That Screen" thread if you're really curious.

Mine's real too! :p
Hi Wiggy

I was looking at your applicant profile, and I can not believe Cornell, Stanford.. rejected you. Even your alma mater put you on the Waitlist.

4.0 GPA, 42 MCAT from Vanderbilt, can not get any better than that.

You are still so young, may be you should take a year off and work at a research lab and voluteer at ER.

If you get some experience, you will get into any medical school you want
 

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
156
14
47
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Art Vandalay said:
Some schools screen applicants before requesting secondaries. If you meet the cut, then you get the secondary. UPitt, NYU, and some state schools do it. Although, you are right... some of the data looks bogus. At one school, I saw a caucasian male was admitted with a 22 MCAT... I guess it's possible, but it is surprising.

Some profiles seem crazy but I remembered UT-Southwestern providing the MCAT range of matriculants on their website: (22-41).

SW's a good school so you have to believe that range might shift lower at lesser schools.

Also notice that many times people put their UG GPA's (that are very low) on mdapplicants.com then in the text note they finished a Master's or post-bac w/ a 4.0.


By the way, UW-Madison sent me a "don't bother" before August was over :thumbdown: . They really loved me...
 

abraxas20

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
261
3
Milwaukee, WI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
mine's real....

honestly, who would lie about my numbers?

:laugh:
 

Mateodaspy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
531
1
Boston, MA
Status
tesla123 said:
I read that several of the postings mention a rejection presecondary, but I thought that most schools have automatic secondaries? :confused:
why would someone lie by saying they got a presecondary rejection?

that's much more likely something one would be inclined to cover up than post on their mdapp profile.
 

flyingillini

Self Proclaimed Ninja
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2002
208
1
35
Urbana, Illinois
Status
Wiggy73 said:
I know Vanderbilt also screens presecondary. Try a search for this year's "Schools That Screen" thread if you're really curious.

Mine's real too! :p
Hey Wiggy you have some awesome stats, and you haven't been accepted to a med school yet? That is hard to believe.
 

45408

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
16,976
47
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Without Wax said:
4.0 GPA, 42 MCAT from Vanderbilt, can not get any better than that.
Eh, med schools like to see a balanced MCAT score across the board, and a VR 13 just won't cut it at her level.




:p
 

UCLAreject

Registered "User"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
49
0
37
la
Status
TheProwler said:
Eh, med schools like to see a balanced MCAT score across the board, and a VR 13 just won't cut it at her level.




:p
LMAO!
 

ardemus

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
49
0
Stanford, CA
Status
Wiggy73 said:
I know Vanderbilt also screens presecondary. Try a search for this year's "Schools That Screen" thread if you're really curious.

Mine's real too! :p

yeah! i'm also shocked that you would get a single rejection or waitlist Wiggy!! :eek:

you have the perfect stats. so what do you think is the problem? do you just have absolutely no clinical exposure? well i'm sure it'll work out for you. :)
 

Dr. Donkey

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
370
5
Status
Uh, I'm sure she'll be just fine. My guess: merit scholarship to Duke or the like (not to jinx her).

Without Wax said:
Hi Wiggy

I was looking at your applicant profile, and I can not believe Cornell, Stanford.. rejected you. Even your alma mater put you on the Waitlist.

4.0 GPA, 42 MCAT from Vanderbilt, can not get any better than that.

You are still so young, may be you should take a year off and work at a research lab and voluteer at ER.

If you get some experience, you will get into any medical school you want
 

dancinjenn

I'm ready for my close up
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2004
673
2
MI
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Wayne State also screens pre-sec.
 

Mephisto

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2004
135
2
Status
Wiggy73 said:
I know Vanderbilt also screens presecondary. Try a search for this year's "Schools That Screen" thread if you're really curious.

Mine's real too! :p
Hey Wiggy- are you sure you don't have any acceptances? Your stats are ridiculously high and your EC's seem fine. That's really scary!!
 

FaytlND

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
988
546
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I would imagine most of MDapps is real, however there is another reason to take what that site says with a grain of salt. If you look through the site, there are plenty of people with stellar stats that get into a bunch of great places. Then there are people who have similar stats that get into only a few (and in some cases none...there was an example of someone with 40+ MCAT and 3.9+ gpa that didn't get in anywhere last cycle).

So what does this tell you? That MDapps tries to quantify an applicant in what you can write in that little profile. WHat needs to be remebered is that there is much more to the decision of acceptance. MDapps give you no indication of what any applicants LOR, personal statement, essays, or interview is like. Thus, MDapps give you maybe about half of what it would take to decide on acceptance, and that leaves a lot of room for variation between people with similar stats.

What I am trying to say is only use MDapps to get a general idea of where your stats might fit. ANd in reality, you can probably get a better idea looking at the data provided in the MSAR for MCAT and GPA ranges. Ultimately, MDapps is a site for for people to do one of 2 things: 1)have a good way for individuals and their friends to keep track of progress in the cycle or 2) to intellectually masturbate. In no way should it be used as a crystal ball for other applicants to predict acceptances.
 

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
2,336
6
Status
Attending Physician
FaytlND said:
Ultimately, MDapps is a site for for people to do one of 2 things: 1)have a good way for individuals and their friends to keep track of progress in the cycle or 2) to intellectually masturbate.
Can I use it for both?
 

sweatybrain

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
402
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what really surprised me is that Wash U hasn't accepted Wiggy (yet).
 

Wiggy73

MS I's have more fun
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2004
361
3
studying anatomy
Status
Mephisto said:
Hey Wiggy- are you sure you don't have any acceptances? Your stats are ridiculously high and your EC's seem fine. That's really scary!!
Just a sec, hang on... let me check... over here? No. Over here? Nope, none there either. Yeah, I'm pretty sure. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, guys, thanks for the good wishes. I don't have the loads of clinical experience that a lot of people on these boards have, and I also took a gamble when I picked schools to apply to. It'll work out. Donkey, if I don't get a Duke scholarship I'm holding you responsible! ;)