Are the Vietnamese (crazy namers) considered a URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMO

Diving Medical Officer
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You read the thread title--> Are the Vietnamese considered an URM under the AMAC new "definition and regs".

Members don't see this ad.

By that same token, are Antarcticans considered Underrepresented in Medicine? :D

Uhm... asians are like the last people that should be considered URM's in Medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMO said:
You read the thread title--> Are the Vietnamese considered an URM under the AMAC new "definition and regs".

What do you mean? Who is the AMAC, and what's a crazy namer?

Is Lee's Sandwiches Chinese or Vietnamese? I know Vietnamese people spell it "Le".

Lee's Sandwiches is Vietnamese. I wonder when we're going to get one in Seattle...

Ahh, I thought so, just a throwaway insult... how droll...

no, but in the midwest medical schools like creighton...they are.

hamhamfan said:
Is Lee's Sandwiches Chinese or Vietnamese? I know Vietnamese people spell it "Le".
vietnamese....
but damn...i just thought it was a socal thing....

Sorry if my earlier post seemed like an insult. I'm not trying to troll or tick anyone off.

Now my questions... What is "Lee's Sandwiches"?
Where in So Cal. What do they serve?

... perhaps I should just google it. no?

http://www.leesandwiches.com/

it's a vietnamese fast food place. However, I don't like how they put onions in the vegetable mix. The bread is overrated.

Lee's Sandwiches Profile

San Jose ? Behind every great American entrepreneurial success story stands a united family. The Le Family in San Jose is one such example of hard-working Americans that have built a thriving restaurant and food service business.

The Le family left VietNam and immigrated to San Jose in 1980.

While studying English as a second language, Chieu, the eldest son of the family often purchased items from a catering truck before and after class and eventually worked as a helper on a catering truck. In 1981, Chieu bought their first catering truck. Then in 1982, with younger brother Henry Le established Lee Bros. Foodservices, Inc. The family chose the name ?Lee Bros.? instead of ?Le Bros.? because it would be more easily understood in America.

From these modest beginnings, they created the largest industrial catering company in Northern California, serving more than 500 independently owned and operated catering trucks.

In 1983, Chieu?s parents started to serve Vietnamese type sandwiches on the catering truck to the community. At that time, the truck was parked on a street corner in the Downtown area. They then moved to a store on King Street in San Jose.

In 2001 Chieu and his late eldest son, Minh Le created a new concept ? a mixture of bright, energetic restaurant sandwich environment, entertainment caf? and Asian-American cuisine. In addition to the traditional Vietnamese banh mi sandwiches, there are traditional American sandwiches such as ham and cheese served on baquettes or croissants. The Lee?s very own taste iced coffee, espresso, a unique selection of more than a dozen smoothies. Minh said: ?Let the customers come to Lee?s Sandwiches, just because?.. it?s a Lee?s sandwiches.? Minh was not here to see his dream comes true. He was not here to see Lee?s Sandwiches join the main stream confidently, proudly within an unbelievable short period of time. By accident, Minh passed away on March 29th 2001 at age 21, and soon to be a business major graduate in May 2001 at San Jose State University.

Lee?s attracts a diverse crowd from traditional Vietnamese-Americans to a younger crowd that is wowed by computer monitors suspended from the ceiling flashing special deals, full-color bilingual menu signs and chances to win free meals based on the number given to customers for their order.

The new Lee?s Sandwiches concept has proved to be so successful that Lee?s Sandwiches has become one of the fastest growing restaurant chains in the West. By 2004, there will be 19 Lee?s Sandwiches in operation and development, with multiple stores in San Jose, Orange County, and Los Angeles County, plus new stores in Santa Cruz and suburban Phoenix.

In the 2 years since the opening of Lee?s Sandwiches store in Westminster, Orange County, Lee?s Sandwiches are now tenants of some of the biggest names in commercial real estate ? The Irvine Company, Boston Properties, the Simon Group, and Pan Pacific.

Lee?s Sandwiches? strong growth, combined with a commitment to the communities it serves, has been recognized by the Small Business Administration, which awarded Lee?s Sandwiches its 2003 Regional Entrepreneurial Success Award. In Orange County in 2003, Chieu Le was recognized as the Business Person of the Year.

Beyond their business achievements, Chieu and Henry are involved heavily in the communities in which they live and work. They have contributed and helped raised additional funds for victims of the 9-11 disaster, the floods in Vietnam, earthquakes in Mexico.

So he's actually a Le who used Lee for the store's name

Members don't see this ad :)
UseUrHeadFred said:
Sorry if my earlier post seemed like an insult. I'm not trying to troll or tick anyone off.
Not at all, I understood you to be answering my questions. Thanks.

Even though I don't like the food at Lee's, I love the number calling system and the futuristic (circa 1985) neon lights.

Ugh. I got sick eating their sandwiches over Spring Break. Never again. :thumbdown:

BubbleBobble said:
Ugh. I got sick eating their sandwiches over Spring Break. Never again. :thumbdown:

It's like the place where all the non-vietnamese people know. All the other places are like too icky and dark for them or whatever.

During my freshman year in college, someone told me they ran into a guy named "Phuoc Yu." I never verified whether the story was true. Personally, I'd think a Chinese name like "Luong Dong" would be even funnier but that's just me. :thumbup:

(I believe those people would be considered a URM under AMAC)

Oh. Another funny story. Someone was telling me how his friend got into some big time med school (forgot which one) with mediocre grades, MCATs, etc. I asked whether she was an underrepresented minority. He answered, "No, she was this white chick--really pretty." I responded, "So she WAS an underrepresented minority." He started busting up. :smuggrin:

Once again, at the risk of sounding not nice.

Hung Wei Lo

I think Lee's sandwich is overrated, they don't put enough meat in it.

On another note in undergrad I knew this girl named Tram Ho, but we just called her Tramp Ho.

Deuce 007 MD said:

On another note in undergrad I knew this girl named Tram Ho, but we just called her Tramp Ho.

Without her approval? That'd be a bit harsh, even for a guy like me.

What about Thia and names like Cream of sum yung kuy.

Deuce 007 MD said:

LOL WTF. I problem with Lee's is that their meat and bread taste wrong. Pho Cali is better... although there is that other place that's even better....

Minh said: ?Let the customers come to Lee?s Sandwiches, just because?.. it?s a Lee?s sandwiches.?

That's pretty funny.

Also, "passed away by accident." As opposed to purposely.

hamhamfan said:
LOL WTF. I problem with Lee's is that their meat and bread taste wrong. Pho Cali is better... although there is that other place that's even better....

There is this new place on the South Easth corner of Magnolia and Balsa they got some bomb banh mi, I think it used to be a coffee shop.

Are there bubble tea places in SoCal?

(nicedream) said:
Are there bubble tea places in SoCal?
Yah, there is this place called DV1, DV2, and DV3 they serve you tea and all the girls who serve you have big bubbles that aren't natural.

Deuce 007 MD said:
Yah, there is this place called DV1, DV2, and DV3 they serve you tea and all the girls who serve you have big bubbles that aren't natural.

Dude are you serious? That's amazing. So it's three different places? Are the girls Asian?

(nicedream) said:
Dude are you serious? That's amazing. So it's three different places? Are the girls Asian?

You sound a bit too happy. :laugh:

(nicedream) said:
Yes the girls are asian and they serve you coffee, tea, or milk shakes in bikinis. If you really want to know I think there is one on Euclid and Westminster. But I don't think those girlz are that hot though, and on top of that there is always these gangster looking guys at these coffee shops giving each other dirty looks.

Deuce 007 MD said:
Yes the girls are asian and they serve you coffee, tea, or milk shakes in bikinis. If you really want to know I think there is one on Euclid and Westminster. But I don't think those girlz are that hot though, and on top of that there is always these gangster looking guys at these coffee shops giving each other dirty looks.

Wow, this is all very foreign to me. I've always lived in Florida, except for 6 months in Portland, OR. No experience with large-breasted Asian women in bikinis serving beverages. I might have to fly out to Cali soon. Are these gangster guys Italian or Asian? Yakuza?

(nicedream) said:
Wow, this is all very foreign to me. I've always lived in Florida, except for 6 months in Portland, OR. No experience with large-breasted Asian women in bikinis serving beverages. I might have to fly out to Cali soon. Are these gangster guys Italian or Asian? Yakuza?

The Mob (Italian gangsters) don't waste their time with girls in bikinis and head straight to strip clubs. Only Asian wanna be gangsters (read dudes that suped up their rice rockets with their parents' money) go to these tea places. I wonder if they realize no one (intelligent) thinks they're hardcore and being a poser isn't cool.

Alexander99 said:
The Mob (Italian gangsters) don't waste their time with girls in bikinis and head straight to strip clubs. Only Asian wanna be gangsters (read dudes that suped up their rice rockets with their parents' money) go to these tea places. I wonder if they realize no one (intelligent) thinks they're hardcore and being a poser isn't cool.

That's hilarious, there are Asian wannabe gangsters? None of that here...

Deuce 007 MD said:
Yes the girls are asian and they serve you coffee, tea, or milk shakes in bikinis.
"My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard And they're like, it's better than yours. Damn right it's better than yours I could teach you But I have to charge..." :smuggrin:

There are also more mainstream boba joints like Tapioca Express throughout oc.

Deuce 007 MD said:

Yeah I've heard about this place. They say the shakes are really good, and yes the guys can be really intimidating. Honestly, I don't know why so many asian guys want to look so ghetto and gangster-ish.

Generally Vietnamese are not considered URM. It really depends on who you talk to, what location, and the area of medicine. One of my interviewers in the LA area said there is a shortage of Vietnamese general practitioners for the underserved populations, especially in Orange County, which was a shocker to me. Where I'm from, there is no shortage of Vietnamese doctors now, but with the trend now, in five years when the existing physicians retire there will be a problem.

StrngoutAS said:
Uhm... asians are like the last people that should be considered URM's in Medicine.

I would have to disagree with this because I think there are other asian ethnic groups that SHOULD be considered URM, especially the southeast asians (Cambodian, Laotian, Mien, Hmong and etc.), but unfortunately for them they get categorize in the large category of asians. True there are tons of Asian physicians out there (esp. CA) however, the majority of them are Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese and in smaller numbers Vietnamese and Filipinos. These other Asians don't all speak the same language as the majority, thus need physicians representing their ethnic group who can communicate with them and are sensitive to their culture to target problems in their community. I know it sucks, but hopefully adcoms are aware of those communities will see that... but I do admit some adcoms I've encountered are totally ignorant of other lesser known asian groups.

Lastly I'd have to agree that Lee's Sandwiches are overrated :laugh: , but since I'm not familiar with SoCal and hate taking chances when it comes to food, I have to resort to the place I'm more familiar with... and I've got to admit they are one of the more efficient of Vietnamese sandwich shops I've been too.

A lovely little name for parents to give to their baby girl: shi-ho.
It's a Japanese name - and a common one, too. Thank god my parents avoided that one (I am Japanese).

Also, there was a girl at my school called Misty Hymen. eeek!

the fact that many southeast asians immigrated to the US under conditions of extreme hardship and survived with resources equivalent or less than other "URMS'" but cant be categorized as such is a tragedy.

I find it sad when certain Southeast Asains are categorically excluded from medical school because he/she is deemed an asian and thus a ORM and held to a higher standard. Many of them are the first in their families to ever go to college, and oftentimes those families struggled greatly just to send that one child to college. These people are as deserving of URM status as any other URM. I wonder how schools reconcile this.

On a lighter note, i heard of that bikini boba place. I also heard there are shootings there all the time. Not wannabe gangsters, believe me. not in westminster at least. Ill just stick to my Lollicup.

emily69 said:
A

Off the 60 freeway in Rowland in the Life Plaza area there is the "Yung Ho" restaurant. Never been inside to confirm if that is what they actually serve.

I knew a "lisa hymen" in grade school. she was white. must be more common of a name than we think! Too bad we didnt know what a hymen was back then.

(nicedream) said:
That's hilarious, there are Asian wannabe gangsters? None of that here...

Yup. It's one of the major categories of stereotypical asians. The other type is the nerdy/socially inept type. I guess between the two, some guys would prefer the first type.

What cracks me up is a lot of the wannabe gangasters are like 5'5" and probably weigh a buck twenty. Sorry but its hard to get intimidated by a guy half my size, regardless of how large the spoiler on their rice rocket is or how much their parents give them for their allowance. :)

Until you realize some of those knuckleheads are actually in gangs, or are foolish enough to be packing heat and pop one in your chest...

DoctorDoom said:
Until you realize some of those knuckleheads are actually in gangs, or are foolish enough to be packing heat and pop one in your chest...

Gangs where they get money from their parents instead of stealing and selling drugs like legitimate gangs? Please. I can spot a poser from a mile away.

emily69 said:
A lovely little name for parents to give to their baby girl: shi-ho.
It's a Japanese name - and a common one, too. Thank god my parents avoided that one (I am Japanese).

Now that you mention it, why are there such few Japanese-American premeds around? I don't think I've met a single Japanese-American premed to date. Is it just because there are such few Japanese people in general?

I've concluded that Japanese names are the coolest (e.g. O-Ren Ishii from Kill Bill.)

Misty Hymen is pretty bad. As a matter of fact, any first name with the last name Hymen is pretty bad. I think I'd rather have the last name Hooker than Hymen.

Alexander99 said:
Gangs where they get money from their parents instead of stealing and selling drugs like legitimate gangs? Please. I can spot a poser from a mile away.

No doubt they are posers, THAT'S the problem. Those guys are more motivated to "prove" how tough they are, cause more trouble than the real criminals sometimes.

But sure, rely on your poser-dar.

Misty Hyman is actually an Olympic swimmer...

I know of this resterant called phucket thia.

exmike said:
the fact that many southeast asians immigrated to the US under conditions of extreme hardship and survived with resources equivalent or less than other "URMS'" but cant be categorized as such is a tragedy.

I find it sad when certain Southeast Asains are categorically excluded from medical school because he/she is deemed an asian and thus a ORM and held to a higher standard. Many of them are the first in their families to ever go to college, and oftentimes those families struggled greatly just to send that one child to college. These people are as deserving of URM status as any other URM. I wonder how schools reconcile this.

I completely agree. This is so true. First of all, coming from the east coast and having been interviewed at 7 medical schools here, I don't get how asians are overrepresented - didn't see too many Asian interviewees, med students, professors, deans, etc. Yeah, there are Asian doctors, but most of the time, they're white. If they're Asian, they are Korean, Chinese, Indian or Japanese.

Under the new AAMC def., I think Vietnamese here is underrepresented. Even if you account for the local population, those who are illegal aliens, of which many are SE Asians, are not included in the total population.

About those conditions, yeah, most SE Asian families are huge! 6-7 kids with parents working low-paying jobs in a 1 bdrom apt. Yeah, to your average American white, they can't tell the difference between SE Asian and East Asian and the URM status gets unnoticed unless they claim "disadvantaged" - still not the same. They deserve URM status, but they need better representation - time to learn some good lessons from what Hispanics and Blacks are doing right.

exmike said:

On a lighter note, i heard of that bikini boba place. I also heard there are shootings there all the time. Not wannabe gangsters, believe me. not in westminster at least. Ill just stick to my Lollicup.
Lollicup makes me wanna vomit! They told me they use non-dairy milk but I don't buy that...I think they use those old school condensed milk that taste funky.

In Westwood, there are two places I avoid: Boba World & Lollicup. THose are the fobbish places. I usually just goto Boba Loca and Relaxtation.

darkcity998 said:
About those conditions, yeah, most SE Asian families are huge! 6-7 kids with parents working low-paying jobs in a 1 bdrom apt. Yeah, to your average American white, they can't tell the difference between SE Asian and East Asian and the URM status gets unnoticed unless they claim "disadvantaged" - still not the same. They deserve URM status, but they need better representation - time to learn some good lessons from what Hispanics and Blacks are doing right.

Yea...many people just don't get the difference among Asians. THe way I explain is that: Do you think German, French, Spaniards, Swiss, and Italian are the same? Hell no, but they all live close to each other.