Are there always this many people with 10-20 II in August?

Whyamionhere

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
Cooking for Jeffrey
Status
Medical Student
Or are there some major superstars this year?

I'm seeing multiple people who have 10+ (even 21 coughdoctorbob23cough) interviews, and who have been at 10+ since around mid-August. Is this normal for so many people to have this many this early? (Not asking if it's normal for MOST people to have this many early - but is it normal for some people to already have 10+?)

I'm horrified and amazed.

Sorry if this thread gets deleted for being pointless, I'm just in awe and needed to see if this year was an anomaly.

Edit: this isn't me being worried that I don't have this many, just pure curiosity. guess I have to clarify on this neurotic place

Last edited:

zerox117

A joyful heart is good medicine.
2+ Year Member
May 11, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Probably not normal lol.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
People lie.

I'm seeing multiple people who have 10+ (even 21 coughdoctorbob23cough) interviews, and who have been at 10+ since around mid-August. Is this normal for so many people to have this many this early? (Not asking if it's normal for MOST people to have this many early - but is it normal for some people to already have 10+?)

Sorry if this thread gets deleted for being pointless, I'm just in awe and needed to see if this year was an anomaly.

Edit: this isn't me being worried that I don't have this many, just pure curiosity. guess I have to clarify on this neurotic place

CavsFan2016

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)

bob.png

Its Dr. Bobs world - we're all just living in it.

Last edited:

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Actually, with most medical schools using AMCAS tools, similar scoring systems, computerized initial evaluations, it would make sense that similar "superstars" or outstanding candidates would get both multiple and early interviews. MSQ 2015 shows nearly 30% of matriculants get 6 or more interviews

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
trying to stay calm here finishing up my secondary...but congratulations on those who got multiple interviews!!

tuco's revenge

2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2016
Status
Yes, there are. I have 23 II for McDonalds manager positions, and it is still August!

As for medical school, I have a lot of very smart friends (LizzyM over 71ish) who went to a solid university, and out of around 12 guys, just 3 have interviews...and 1 each. SDN is a statistical disaster

Sep 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
The people claiming to have 4+ interview invites this early in the cycle are either the far top statistical outliers who are more inclined to show off their success, or they are the petty, malicious type of premed who lies to try to bring others down (we all know SDN has no shortage of those...). Don't let them discourage you.

tuco's revenge

2+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2016
Status
The US is a huge country. It's unlikely that any of us have even HEARD of real-life people ( friends of friends of friends), who have stats like doctorbob and the others and have 20+ interviews by now. This forum attracts these overachieving types into one place, and they form a big chunk of it and get a lot of attention. Most pre-meds stay away from this place for the most part, or don't even have accounts.

For all we know these guys with 20+ interviews are veterans or rare exceptional individuals.

Its possible that "doctorbob" might actually be Barack Obama, who is trying to start med school after his term expires. Imagine his activities section on AMCAS
Creative endeavors? "Founder of Obamacare".
Leadership? Leader of the free world for 8 years
Patient contact/Scribing experience? None
Shadowing? None

Geez. I'd give him an interview too. But he still would get probably get rejected at Rush and the like for his lack of clinical volunteering.

*Rush Medical College Admissions E-mail *
Dear Mr.Obama, we regret to inform you that we cannot accept you. You don't meet our minimum of 6,000 hours of clinical service requirement.

Last edited:

SydSing

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2013
Chipotle
Status
Medical Student
The people claiming to have 4+ interview invites this early in the cycle are either the far top statistical outliers who are more inclined to show off their success, or they are the petty, malicious type of premed who lies to try to bring others down (we all know SDN has no shortage of those...). Don't let them discourage you.
I'm neither and would hope no one would get on here and lie.

I only post mine because I'm reapplying and am absolutely thrilled that schools even want me. I have decided to be active on SDN throughout the cycle because it feels like a nice community and offers support.

Last edited:

username456789

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
It happens, don't stress.

I remember back in the day applying in June 2007, @Jolie South was getting a bunch of early interviews to places I had also applied, and I was freaking out. Turns out i ended up with many of the same ones (if I recall correctly) and even ended up at one with her. I ultimately had 12/15 schools offer interviews, and 8/12 acceptances.

I have no idea how or why I remembered her username, by the way.

Sep 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical

I only post mine because I'm reapplying and am absolutely thrilled that schools even want me. I have decided to be active on SDN throughout the cycle because it feels like a nice community and offers support.
We all know that a lot of people lie on here.

CavsFan2016

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2016
Status

Cotterpin

Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
While people are talking about doctorbob, I noticed in his signature he already has attended 7 interviews and gotten 2 acceptances already. Are those DO schools or what? I didn't realize the AAMCOMAS traffic rules were so different!

SydSing

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2013
Chipotle
Status
Medical Student
We all know that a lot of people lie on here.
I don't doubt it. I have been asked for screenshots of II emails previously which I had no problem providing.

I wasn't insinuating that it doesn't happen.

It's just sad.

Hospitalized

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2014
Status
No no I have 3 that I'm really happy with lol this was just curiosity.....
It happens, don't stress.

I remember back in the day applying in June 2007, @Jolie South was getting a bunch of early interviews to places I had also applied, and I was freaking out. Turns out i ended up with many of the same ones (if I recall correctly) and even ended up at one with her. I ultimately had 12/15 schools offer interviews, and 8/12 acceptances.

I have no idea how or why I remembered her username, by the way.
I don't doubt it. I have been asked for screenshots of II emails previously which I had no problem providing.

I wasn't insinuating that it doesn't happen.

It's just sad.
Sigh... Humblebrag circlejerk

bunchesonothing

Non-Trad on a Mission
Nov 12, 2015
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
IDK. On a website like this when so many are pre-med superstars with high stats and great apps all around, does humblebragging make sense. I'm hesitant to call someone out for that, personally, because how can you be bragging to an audience that, who on average, is just as awesome as you are? Seems silly. Either people are doing things with the hope of getting attention that they probably won't get or accusers are accusing people of things they're not doing for whatever reason...

Odd that this came to mind, but high stats people have a right to talk about things from their perspectives too.

I personally post because it helps us get a timeline for each school of when the earlier IIs come out (I was helped a lot by reading the posts from last cycle). Additonally, I have met a lot of awesome people on SDN (esp. On the URM thread) who are rooting for me and want me to keep them updated. Also, with my application circumstances (I messed up big time) I find it a miracle that I got IIs and want to encourage others.

sammiesings

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2014

Can I ask what you think you did differently this year? I'm also a reapp with small second cycle success, but not nearly as well as you!!

libertyyne

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
View attachment 208624

Its Dr. Bobs world - we're all just living in it.
Some say he has been getting II's since grade school. Others say he will continue to get IIs after matriculating and completing residency. All we know, is that he is called Dr.Bob

SydSing

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2013
Chipotle
Status
Medical Student
Can I ask what you think you did differently this year? I'm also a reapp with small second cycle success, but not nearly as well as you!!
Raised my MCAT substantially, took a few additional science classes, >1 year now at my current lab with 1st author pub undergoing revisions and a really personal, well-written PI letter.

Last edited:
Reactions: sammiesings

CavsFan2016

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2016
Status
Some say he has been getting II's since grade school. Others say he will continue to get IIs after matriculating and completing residency. All we know, is that he is called Dr.Bob
The man, the myth, the legend.

Reactions: freak7

sammiesings

2+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2014
Raise my MCAT substantially, took a few additional science classes, >1 year now at my current lab with 1st author pub undergoing revisions and a really personal, well-written PI letter.
Congrats on the successes, friend :)

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I will refer you to my most recent post.:beat: :laugh:

Reactions: libertyyne