Are there any applicants from the Northwest??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRJME

Future Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am interested in people who are applying to DO schools who live in Oregon or Washington. I am from Oregon and am very set on becoming a DO, I will not be applying to OHSU. I am just wondering if there are others out there who are considering osteopathy and if any have looked in to Western’s Northwest Track Program??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

Welcome to the forum. I'm from WA and applied this year. Initially, I considered COMP's NW Track Program as a top choice since I would like to come back to the NW to practice. But overall, I decided to attend DMU which also allows me to come back to WA...specifically Vancouver/Portland. What it comes down to is where you will be doing your core clinics and hospitals during your 3rd and 4th year. Good luck on the process!

theOC said:
But overall, I decided to attend DMU which also allows me to come back to WA...specifically Vancouver/Portland.

Do you mean Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, Oregon?

I guess I can say that I am from the northwest as well. Vancouver, BC.
Man I miss that city. Don't go east.. stay west.. nice weather, Blue area.. and trees and mountains.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vancouver, WA. I agree with docbill...the NW is nice. I will definitely miss it next year.

DRJME said:
Hello Everyone

I am interested in people who are applying to DO schools who live in Oregon or Washington. I am from Oregon and am very set on becoming a DO, I will not be applying to OHSU. I am just wondering if there are others out there who are considering osteopathy and if any have looked in to Western’s Northwest Track Program??

Ditto everything theOC said... I'm also from WA, I was accepted to COMP's NW track and it was my top choice until DMU interviewed and accepted me shortly after.

theOC... where are you in WA? I live in Puyallup. Did you interview in Portland? I was in the Sunday group... do I know you? How/when are you moving to DMU?

DRJME, good luck! :luck:

What made both of you choose DMU over COMP, other than being able to come back to NW for 3rd and 4th years? Just curious :)

DMU: Cheaper tuition, nice facilities, didn't have to commute to school in comparison to COMP, bottom line: overall i felt that DMU could provide me with the best education. The only negative for me about DMU was that it was further away from home whereas I would only be going to COMP primarily based on location.

Before going into this process, I just wanted to get in somewhere especially on the West coast because I wanted to stay close to home. But after you get accepted to a few schools your selection criteria changes. Initially, DMU was never in my mind as a top choice. But after seeing what each school offered, what you need and want from each school changes. Good luck. And many will tell you on this forum that everyone's advice is a grain of salt. It helps but don't make your judgment only based from our opinions.

MsEvolution,

I live in Vancouver, WA. Interviewed in PDX with the Sunday group and will be flying to DMU towards the later half of July.

awesome im from Auburn, Washington,,, hehe now I am living in Minnesota just finishing up law school, then im moving back to Seattle area this May. I totally miss the Northwest, I just spent my break up in British Columbia, and without a doubt the Geographic region encompassing Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia, SE Alaska is one of the most beautiful parts of North America.

That being said, I wish the UW and OHS were not the only schools in this underserved area. Have any of you had problems finding DO's? I do not know much about COMP, what is their northwest track? talk soon

T

I really liked the DO schools. In fact, I would have a hard time choosing the DO school I liked over Case Western Reserve, which I think is a GREAT allo school. I was accepted to the Northwest Trac at COMP, but I decided that I liked AZCOM a LOT better. The other applicants are correct: you can schedule a LOT of your clinical rotations in the Northwest at a lot of schools. Perhaps COMP has set it up so it's a little less work, but the new requirments of being back there to study for the COMLEX are ridiculous, and coming from the Northwest, the LA area is a total cultural shock that I was not willing to entertain. The pollution, cost of living, and crowding were a total turn off for me. I'd rather go to a school were I can go for a run outside without a mask! Seriously...

The ONLY school I ranked higher than AZCOM was UW. I was rejected last year and I didn't think I'd get in this time, but I did. It is very important for me to stay here because of family considerations. But if I were single, it would have been a tough choice between UW and AZCOM due to my interest in OMM.

I hope that helps everyone considering COMP's NW track. :rolleyes:

Wow.. that would be nice.. to do rotations in Washington.. is it for 3rd and 4th year. Does anyone know which hospitals in Washington.

Where do I look to see where the 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations are? Is it on the school’s website or do I need to contact the schools?

DRJME said:
Where do I look to see where the 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations are? Is it on the school’s website or do I need to contact the schools?

Some schools will tell you during the interview process, others you need to ask. COMP actually gave me a list of the hospitals (I remember there are some in Portland) where you rotate. You might want to call them to see if they can email it to you.

I choose AZCOM over COMP's NW track (and general matriculation into COMP as well). I don't think COMP's NW track for the third year is as well set up as they would like you to think...you can get an idea of where you can go and where students have gone...but you may want to make sure that for third year they are hospital-based rotations, that would be the real advantage...but as far as I know they are mostly preceptor-based.

Here's one problem you may want to look into...if you do a third year preceptor rotation...are there hospitals in the area that will not take you for certain rotations because you did not do a hospital based rotation in that field during your 3rd year?

This is a similiar problem for some AZCOM students during the third year, I chose AZCOM knowing that despite this problem I can get around it as many other students have...it's just a little more work, but nothing I can't get around as I can go to other states to get my hospital based rotations. If you do the NW track...can it be possible that it would be harder for you to get hospital based rotations during your third year as there are no osteopathic hositals in the NW now that East Moorland closed down? That's a question I would want answered.

I think Dirk Foley is in charge of the NW track for COMP, you can probably send him an email or call him about the state of the clinical sites available for the NW...I've talked on the phone with him, he's a real nice guy. Good luck.

NYCOM has few of us from OR and, personaaly, I do miss Oregon every time I open my eyes, even more when I am driving.