Are there any athiest med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikoness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so obviously schools don't officially side with a religion, political view etc... But some schools are affiliated with a religious undergraduate institution, some schools get funded by religious organizations, some have a Dean that is religious, etc...

Are there any that are funded by a non-religious organization or affiliated with anything that is athiest?
just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

I loled. I doubt it. There really isn't such thing as an "atheist affiliation" as there is no major atheist entity to fund a school. Most religions have some sort of central governance. Usually a school either has a religious affiliation or it doesn't. I've never heard of an atheist school. If you're talking about schools that have a lot of atheist students and faculty, that's another story. But unfortunately I can't help you on that one.

Just make sure you don't go to Brigham Young College of Medicine. :laugh:

Last edited:
I've never heard of an atheist school. If you're talking about schools that have a lot of atheist students and faculty, that's another story. But unfortunately I can't help you on that one.

Yes, I'm talking about a large portion of the student body and faculty being non religious, maybe a school that has a reputation for being non religious. I'm aware there is no official athiest school/organizations, etc.

For the purposes of this thread "athiest school" = school with a clear lack of religious influence and high population of athiests/agnostics....

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh.... All state schools.

I think OP is trying to ask out of those schools, which ones have the greatest concentration of agnostics/atheists.

OP - Keep in mind that not all religious people go to private religious schools. Many will go to public schools. And not all atheists/agnostics go to public institutions. I have an agnostic friend who's going to BYU for ugrad. You will encounter religious and non-religious people no matter where you go. Why is it so important to you?

Yes, I'm talking about a large portion of the student body and faculty being non religious, maybe a school that has a reputation for being non religious. I'm aware there is no official athiest school/organizations, etc.

For the purposes of this thread "athiest school" = school with a clear lack of religious influence and high population of athiests/agnostics....

Most state/public schools would fit this bill. Private schools are allowed to affiliate with religions because many of them were started by religious groups (BYU; anything Jesuit comes to mind; etc). This is not the case for public institutions because they rely on state funding for support and cannot discriminate based on this factor.

For what it's worth, I am an atheist and I have been considering transferring to a private Catholic (Jesuit) UG. Many religion-affiliated schools don't discriminate, either.

I don't understand what the point of the question is. Medical education is standardized and everything is taught regardless of whether it's a jesuit school like Georgetown, Loyola or a state school. Unless you're really interested in OBGYN and learning how to perform abortions at this early stage you shouldn't worry about it. They're not going to try to convert you or force you go to church or anything like that. I hope you're not one of those people that get offended by the slightest showing of religious icons in public places. As long as they're not trying to force it down your throat you should respect their religious beliefs as much as you want them to respect your atheist view points.

Loma Linda.

But seriously all the UCs are pretty liberal and about as non-religious as you can get.

I don't understand what the point of the question is. Medical education is standardized and everything is taught regardless of whether it's a jesuit school like Georgetown, Loyola or a state school. Unless you're really interested in OBGYN and learning how to perform abortions at this early stage you shouldn't worry about it. They're not going to try to convert you or force you go to church or anything like that. I hope you're not one of those people that get offended by the slightest showing of religious icons in public places. As long as they're not trying to force it down your throat you should respect their religious beliefs as much as you want them to respect your atheist view points.

I agree with this entirely.

And, as an atheist, I never understood those who fall into the bolded category. It's not a problem if you don't make it one. Some people just want to have something to b**** about.

The University of Vermont is pretty liberal/non-religious too + It's in Vermont which has a lot of progressive thinkers and atheists. But you will have to deal with the occasional pot smoking conspiracy theorist.

I'm an atheist and actually am considering going to a Jesuit school. I consider myself a friend to religion, so I don't mind seeing religious expression around me as long as I am not required to participate. Aside from the stained glass in the main room of the building and the presence of a religious advisor (only if you want to talk to him), you would hardly know they were religiously affiliated. None of the students I talked to were Catholic, and no one seemed to consider it as affecting their experience at all. Obviously they're going to have a pro-life bent, but every school is going to discuss social issues, etc, so you better get used to differing opinions anyways.

The only school that was an issue for me was Loma Linda. You can check out their school specific thread, but their secondary application actually asks about your relationship with Jesus, and I just couldn't answer that seriously.

I'm an atheist and actually am considering going to a Jesuit school. I consider myself a friend to religion, so I don't mind seeing religious expression around me as long as I am not required to participate. Aside from the stained glass in the main room of the building and the presence of a religious advisor (only if you want to talk to him), you would hardly know they were religiously affiliated. None of the students I talked to were Catholic, and no one seemed to consider it as affecting their experience at all. Obviously they're going to have a pro-life bent, but every school is going to discuss social issues, etc, so you better get used to differing opinions anyways.

The only school that was an issue for me was Loma Linda. You can check out their school specific thread, but their secondary application actually asks about your relationship with Jesus, and I just couldn't answer that seriously.

Well basically I was going out with Jesus for a few months, but I cheated with a shepherd, so we broke up. Anyway, long story short, we're back together again.

Well basically I was going out with Jesus for a few months, but I cheated with a shepherd, so we broke up. Anyway, long story short, we're back together again.

Full tuition scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh: I seriously considered writing something like that and then decided it wasn't worth the application fee. The whole idea of having a personal relationship with a historical figure baffles me and even baffled me growing up in a very religious household.

You don't have to understand. I'm not anti-religion and I never discuss my views with anyone, even if they overstep the boundary and talk to me about theirs. I simply prefer to be in an environment saturated with like minded people, and there's nothing wrong with that. You'll just have to accept that it matters to some people.

Being that you were so quick to judge me, it seems you have an issue with non-religious people. Just be gone from this thread and don't come back...I don't want your feedback. :)

Thanks to everyone who answered the question.
Will make note not to apply to loma linda, byu, and be careful applying to schools in the south.

You don't have to understand. I'm not anti-religion and I never discuss my views with anyone, even if they overstep the boundary and talk to me about theirs. I simply prefer to be in an environment saturated with like minded people, and there's nothing wrong with that. You'll just have to accept that it matters to some people.

Being that you were so quick to judge me, it seems you have an issue with non-religious people. Just be gone from this thread and don't come back...I don't want your feedback. :)

Will make note not to apply to loma linda, byu, and be careful applying to schools in the south.
Just like you seem to have an issue with religious people.

Lol. I have no issues with religious people, I just never want to be made aware of their existence.

:p

You've never heard of the Richard Dawkins School of Medicine?

Ok, so obviously schools don't officially side with a religion, political view etc... But some schools are affiliated with a religious undergraduate institution, some schools get funded by religious organizations, some have a Dean that is religious, etc...

Are there any that are funded by a non-religious organization or affiliated with anything that is athiest?
just wondering.

OP, if you are seriously this opposed to being around people of various beliefs (to include religions) that are opposed to yours, you should seriously reconsider medicine. You need to be able to relate to people of differing beliefs and, with humility, consider their perspectives. To say that science "has all the answers" is a critical error that shows a lack of cross-cultural experience and understanding. It also smacks of arrogance and ignorance.

The fact that you see people talking honestly about their beliefs, perspectives, etc. as "overstepping their boundaries" is concerning, as is the fact that you see nothing wrong with avoiding diversity of perspective (i.e., desire to only be around like-minded people).

I don't have an issue with atheists, they're free to believe what they want. What I do have trouble with are whiny, self-centered and hypocritical little ****s like yourself that feel they should be treated with respect because of their difference yet refuses to provide the same courtesy to everyone else.

Furthermore, I never accused you of being an intolerant ass but it must have struck some truth deep down as you were so quick to judge me as hating non-religious people. Your hypocrisy shines through.

even if you don't follow religion, your patients most likely will, and what patient wants to die at the hospital with no heaven?

Everywhere you will go, there will be people of different religions. Besides, just because you aren't affiliated with their religion doesn't mean you cant be close friends. It's not like they are gonna drag you to church every Sunday in shackles and slap your wrist if you drink alcohol or have pre-martial sex. With that said, Loma Linda is probably not the best place to choose as an atheist :p

I wouldn't rule out schools in the South entirely. Yes, it's known as the Bible Belt. However, there are cities which are diverse in their population down South. Plus, the southern folk are quite friendly :D

lol...you can really tell who is uncomfortable with athiesm and the fact that non-believers exist. it really comes out with threads liek this. What are you so afraid of? :)

:flame:

Everyone chill. I fail to see the distinction between wanting to attend a religious school and wanting to attend a non-religious school. Both could be called equally intolerant of the other, but the former is universally accepted while the latter is invariably accused of intolerance. Can't we all just chill and let people have their preferences?

even if you don't follow religion, your patients most likely will, and what patient wants to die at the hospital with no heaven?

and even if you do follow a religion, many of your patients will not

its not as if id turn down religious patients or shun them in any way. people who assume that have an irrational fear of athiests/agnostics...

lol...you can really tell who is uncomfortable with athiesm and the fact that non-believers exist. it really comes out with threads liek this. What are you so afraid of? :)

I have zero belief in a god, and I had the exact same thoughts others are expressing. What are you so afraid of that you are worried about being outnumbered and consider it overstepping for someone to talk about something important to them? To me it becomes overstepping only when they ask about my beliefs or suggest that mine should match theirs.

Like others have said - you will have many religious patients. You need to learn to be understanding, which will be tough to do if you try to isolate yourself. (That said, I agree about not applying to Loma Linda, because there's a difference between trying to avoid religious people and trying to avoid being submerged in religion)

OP, if you are seriously this opposed to being around people of various beliefs (to include religions) that are opposed to yours, you should seriously reconsider medicine.
I will when christians start going to mosques and muslims start going to church to be around others with different beliefs instead of being narrowminded and only going into environments with others that share the same beliefs. Does that help you understand the stupidity behind your statement? :)

music2doc said:
To say that science "has all the answers" is a critical error that shows a lack of cross-cultural experience and understanding.

wtf? When did i say that? you're so terrified of athiests for some reason, and thats your own personal problem you need to work on...try not to be so narrowminded and start accepting athiests as humans. :)

What are you so afraid of that you are worried about being outnumbered

What are all the christians in church so afriad of? the muslims in mosques? the justin beiber fans at his concert?
or maybe, since they have the option to choose, they all just enjoy the company of like minded people ;)

Like others have said - you will have many religious patients. You need to learn to be understanding,

im so glad you said that. here i was thinking id go to an all athiest school and be taught religious folk are bad and id never have to meet a religious person as a doctor. :rolleyes:

What are all the christians in church so afriad of? the muslims in mosques? the justin beiber fans at his concert?
or maybe, since they have the option to choose, they all just enjoy the company of like minded people ;)

Did I suggest you ought to be more like religious people? Why do you want to be like them and only spend time with people who share your beliefs?

P.S. I'm pretty sure people go to Justin Bieber concerts to see Justin Bieber. Not to hang out with other Justin Bieber fans. And similarly (to a large degree), religious folks often go to their chosen house of worship to... you know... worship...
But now that I know that you're going to school in order to enjoy the company of like-minded people, and not to learn medicine, I get where you're coming from. :thumbup:

@Ismet: awww but he looks so hungry!!

im so glad you said that. here i was thinking id go to an all athiest school and be taught religious folk are bad and id never have to meet a religious person as a doctor. :rolleyes:

Churches and mosques are places where people of the same faith learn and practice their religion which can include unique ideas not shared by everyone. People of other faiths don't go to these places obviously because it doesn't pertain to them. Medical school is a place people go to learn and practice medicine and help others which is generally accepted by everyone, REGARDLESS of their faith to be a good thing. Are you seriously this dense or you just trying to justify your own bigotry?

P.S. I'm pretty sure people go to Justin Bieber concerts to see Justin Bieber. Not to hang out with other Justin Bieber fans.

dude...so are you saying when went to see the beiber concert live last week you didn't actually care that i was there with you? We even sung the lyrics together! Did that mean nothing to you? :(

runs out of thread heartbroken

getdown i cant read what you wrote since you're on my ignore list. though apparently even if someone is ignored it still shows you they posted something. which seems kinda weird.

anywho, hope you're well my friend.

Churches and mosques are places where people of the same faith learn and practice their religion which can include unique ideas not shared by everyone. People of other faiths don't go to these places obviously because it doesn't pertain to them. Medical school is a place people go to learn and practice medicine and help others which is generally accepted by everyone, REGARDLESS of their faith to be a good thing. Are you seriously this dense or you just trying to justify your own bigotry?

:thumbup:

ah ok...i see it now. (rain trying hard to win brownie points with majority of you attacking me)

i dont even feel like responding though. i dont have to explain my preferences. i would if you people mattered, but...well, you don't.

rain is now the 5th iggy'd. i wonder if it has a limit?

I will when christians start going to mosques and muslims start going to church to be around others with different beliefs instead of being narrowminded and only going into environments with others that share the same beliefs. Does that help you understand the stupidity behind your statement? :)
There are actually Christian (and other religious) groups that DO do this.

My statement is actually quite relevant and well-informed, thank you very much. You might want to step back and think about your perspective. No, not every religious person is going to be open-minded or care to know others' beliefs, but your extreme closed-mindedness and unwillingness to understand others' views is a critical problem due to the profession you hope to pursue.

wtf? When did i say that? you're so terrified of athiests for some reason, and thats your own personal problem you need to work on...try not to be so narrowminded and start accepting athiests as humans. :)

It's a frequent "argument" people like you make, so I was heading it off.

As for my supposed fear... hardly. I was simply calling you out on your ignorance.

You are spewing nonsense. Most people go to a concert to hear the band or a church to hear the speaker. Yes, they get to see others with similar perspectives. You can do that too. The difference is you are actively trying to avoid anyone with a different perspective. Most every religion ENCOURAGES its followers to seek out those of different views and to engage them. That is the core of evangelism. Yes, it is about bringing someone to your point of view but if it turns out that the other person's perspective is "better" you both might go in that direction and if neither changes perspectives, you have both learned about each others' cultures. From a secular perspective, we could actually consider evangelistic behaviors as a form of sociocultural sex. You are bringing together people from different worldviews and they are sharing their ideas. Is there sometimes some tension? Sure, but what is sex without some sort of tension?! ;)

This statement is probably one of your most ignorant and you probably don't even understand why....

ah ok...i see it now. (rain trying hard to win brownie points with majority of you attacking me)

i dont even feel like responding though. i dont have to explain my preferences. i would if you people mattered, but...well, you don't.

rain is now the 5th iggy'd. i wonder if it has a limit?

They see me trolllin'. They hatin'.

And, incidentally, he's the kind of guy who asks this question in multiple places. He's one of those atheists who is actively trying to find people to hate. So, you know, a fundamentalist christian. (And a guy who isn't getting off the waitlists.)

This is painful.

I hear the concentration of atheists is highest down in the Carib, OP, check it out and report back to us.

:thumbup:

(and no, I'm not religious)

h6F28AD04

Good thing it's really easy to avoid applying here seeing as how it doesn't exist.

The only med school in Utah is at the University of Utah, a public non-religious institution.

I've been to utah...super nice. i might actually apply there. im in CA and would prefer to stay around the CA,NV,CO,UT region if possible.

Good thing it's really easy to avoid applying here seeing as how it doesn't exist.

The only med school in Utah is at the University of Utah, a public non-religious institution.

It exists if you have faith that it exists.:smuggrin:

I've been to utah...super nice. i might actually apply there. im in CA and would prefer to stay around the CA,NV,CO,UT region if possible.

Unless you have strong ties to the state, don't bother.

I will say that most people are surprised at how liberal downtown Salt Lake and the U are, it's only if you head into the suburbs or drive North/South that the demographics start becoming Mormon heavy.