Are there any desis applying for the 2009 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masksof2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI guys,
i was wondering if there were any desis applying this may 2008 for the fall 2009 cycle? if so, where is everybody applying? if you have already applied and gotten in... feel free to leave ur feedback for all the other desis out here...

-masksof2004

Members don't see this ad.

I'm desi but I have not applied yet. However, I don't think my application cycle would be different than any non-desi. You should check out feedback in the databases-- it is helpful universally.

Good Luck!

lol @ avatar. Typical freeze frame of a song from a bollywood movie:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Still got a couple years till I apply.

Nice avatar...LOL

Good Luck, I think more desi's are into the doctor craze, not as many in dentistry.

hey everyone,

I feel very ethnocentric asking this but, what is desi? It sounds like a nationality or ethnicity to me, however its not ringing a bell.

hey everyone,

I feel very ethnocentric asking this but, what is desi? It sounds like a nationality or ethnicity to me, however its not ringing a bell.

Desi= indians + Pakistanis (i.e. Southeast asians)

i dont think being desi gives your app any advantage, its definitely all about your qualifications. so asking desis for advice is just like asking any other applicant or dental student, regardless of race.
maybe i'm failing to see a point to this thread?

HI guys,
i was wondering if there were any desis applying this may 2008 for the fall 2009 cycle? if so, where is everybody applying? if you have already applied and gotten in... feel free to leave ur feedback for all the other desis out here...

-masksof2004

Sup guys desi from cali burhaaaaaaaaaaaa!

by the way ur avatar is funny lol

i dont think being desi gives your app any advantage, its definitely all about your qualifications. so asking desis for advice is just like asking any other applicant or dental student, regardless of race.
maybe i'm failing to see a point to this thread?

I cant speak for the person who started this thread but i would assume finding ppl from your culture who are also going throught the appl process makes it easier some way lol or he/she wanted to make make connetions. Plus not many desi in this field... of course diff situation in med everyone knows we kick chitar!

I cant speak for the person who started this thread but i would assume finding ppl from your culture who are also going throught the appl process makes it easier some way lol or he/she wanted to make make connetions. Plus not many desi in this field... of course diff situation in med everyone knows we kick chitar!

thanks a lot dude... btw... i m from cali too!
u got the point of this thread...
r u applying this year??

Still got a couple years till I apply.

Nice avatar...LOL

Good Luck, I think more desi's are into the doctor craze, not as many in dentistry.

I am pretty sure many of them are because of their parents.

Anyways, i am done with my semester and now its time for the application...:sleep::sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
my bad, i overlooked cultural connection and finding more desis in similar situations. in case it wasn't implicitly expressed, i too am indian and applying....wow, this week actually.

Being a nosy indian:D...can i ask you guys to post your stats as well.......

wow.... there are more desis than i expected to be on SDN!!!:D

well... here are my stats:
GPA: 3.91
DAT: 21 AA, 23 PAT

So where is everybody from and where r u guys applying?

Desi= indians + Pakistanis + Nepalese + Bengali - Southeast asians:hardy:

By Bengali u mean Bangladeshi??
Becuase Bengalis are from India as well, from West Bengal.

By Bengali u mean Bangladeshi??
Becuase Bengalis are from India as well, from West Bengal.

:laugh: hahaha...

u asked everybody to post their stats... dont u think u should post ur stats as well!!

Where are all the Pakistanis?? :D

Good luck to everyone applying for the next session.:thumbup:

:laugh: hahaha...

u asked everybody to post their stats... dont u think u should post ur stats as well!!

come on yaar...Look at my Pre-dent profile...it has everything....

Last edited:
I applied last cycle and was waitlisted on two schools, but probably will be reapplying to CA schools, NYU, Boston, Buffalo, Penn, Pitt, Columbia, UMDNJ, Vegas.

Where are all the Pakistanis?? :D

Good luck to everyone applying for the next session.:thumbup:

RIGHT HERE!

I was wondering, are there many desis applying to dental school? I know every desi wants med, but are there many that want to do dental?

desi too...applied last yr but did'nt get into any schools. Not sure if I will be applying this yr or not all depends on the DAT :luck:

desi too...applied last yr but did'nt get into any schools. Not sure if I will be applying this yr or not all depends on the DAT :luck:
Don't loose hope...kill the DAT.....if u believe u want to pursue dentistry u'll definitely get in somewhere.......
Good Luck:thumbup:

i almost flinched before i rote this..
do i count as desi considerin i was born in Bhutan.. actually more like assam.. but have persian parents..lol..
Lived in Bhutan most of my life then moved to panchgani then to vancity

i almost flinched before i rote this..
do i count as desi considerin i was born in Bhutan.. actually more like assam.. but have persian parents..lol..
Lived in Bhutan most of my life then moved to panchgani then to vancity

What you think guys should we let him in? lolz :laugh:

I believe we will need you to upload your picture for us to decide.
hahahaha

If you look desi, eat taco bell like a desi, and like watching Russell Peters like a desi...We'll consider you to be desi.

I believe we will need you to upload your picture for us to decide.
hahahaha

If you look desi, eat taco bell like a desi, and like watching Russell Peters like a desi...We'll consider you to be desi.

I thought a true desi was one that can hold down his drink and then go Bruhaaaaaaaa! :D

*You order a small drink at a restaurant because the refill is free
*You get no ice in your drink
*You use the same batteries for multiple remote controls
*You answer your phone in class
*The stovetop in your apartment is covered with aluminum foil
*You find Taco Bell sauce packets in your kitchen drawer
*Piles of shoes make it difficult to open the front, back, and closet doors
*You keep switching your internet service provider because the first month is free
*You've tried to pass off Canadian coins in change to others
*You go back to your apartment for lunch
*You wash out plastic cups and utensils for future use
*You have spent nights in the car while traveling or drive until you find a motel owned by a Gujarati
*Your mom owns more than one pressure cooker
*You know how much a 7-layer burrito costs
*You keep comparing prices for the phone you bought six months ago
*You pay your bills the day they come in the mail
*You spent two days cleaning your apartment to make sure you received the full security deposit
*You know how much all your friends paid for their cars
*You take extra bags at the grocery store to be used for garbage
*Office supplies mysteriously find their way into your house
*You split the tax evenly from your common grocery bill
*All your uncles and cousins went with you when you bought your car
*Your friends say your house smells "spicy"
*You have taken pictures with your car
*You have your own dandias
*The smoke detector goes off whenever your mom is cooking
*All your tupperware is stained yellow
*You've never spent money on napkins and plastic ware, courtesy of Taco Bell and the food court
*You spend at least two nights in a week at Wal-Mart
*You buy paper towels, toilet paper and detergent in bulk
*When you were a kid you thought "Irregular" was a brand name
*You tried to flirt over the phone with the Indian technical support representative
*You can't understand why at the library, movie theater, restaurants, graduations, weddings, funerals, etc. people look at you and make that funny SHH!! sound with their lips.

:laugh::laugh::D:)

^^^ you could just say desis are cheap bastards?:laugh:

One more desi here.....!!

Ready to apply........I finished some of the undergrad courses from Our HOme-country and I am having lot of trouble evaluating it .....any help will be appreciated..!!

^^^ you could just say desis are cheap bastards?:laugh:

or may be i could just say that desis are way too hardworking snd smart to save money wherever they can and thats why they are so freakin rich....

One more desi here.....!!

Ready to apply........I finished some of the undergrad courses from Our HOme-country and I am having lot of trouble evaluating it .....any help will be appreciated..!!

1) how the heck did u do that???? i mean... finish courses back in india??
2) good luck.... the evaluation process takes a long time!!

*You order a small drink at a restaurant because the refill is free
*You get no ice in your drink
*You use the same batteries for multiple remote controls
*You answer your phone in class
*The stovetop in your apartment is covered with aluminum foil
*You find Taco Bell sauce packets in your kitchen drawer
*Piles of shoes make it difficult to open the front, back, and closet doors
*You keep switching your internet service provider because the first month is free
*You've tried to pass off Canadian coins in change to others
*You go back to your apartment for lunch
*You wash out plastic cups and utensils for future use
*You have spent nights in the car while traveling or drive until you find a motel owned by a Gujarati
*Your mom owns more than one pressure cooker
*You know how much a 7-layer burrito costs
*You keep comparing prices for the phone you bought six months ago
*You pay your bills the day they come in the mail
*You spent two days cleaning your apartment to make sure you received the full security deposit
*You know how much all your friends paid for their cars
*You take extra bags at the grocery store to be used for garbage
*Office supplies mysteriously find their way into your house
*You split the tax evenly from your common grocery bill
*All your uncles and cousins went with you when you bought your car
*Your friends say your house smells "spicy"
*You have taken pictures with your car
*You have your own dandias
*The smoke detector goes off whenever your mom is cooking
*All your tupperware is stained yellow
*You've never spent money on napkins and plastic ware, courtesy of Taco Bell and the food court
*You spend at least two nights in a week at Wal-Mart
*You buy paper towels, toilet paper and detergent in bulk
*When you were a kid you thought "Irregular" was a brand name
*You tried to flirt over the phone with the Indian technical support representative
*You can't understand why at the library, movie theater, restaurants, graduations, weddings, funerals, etc. people look at you and make that funny SHH!! sound with their lips.

:laugh::laugh::D:)

Another sign that you are a desi is when your parents brain wash you early in life to become a doctor or an engineer :laugh:

Last edited:
Paki here, this is my third time applying....I am 27 old female and not married so my parents are throwing a fit about me reapplying...I am sure some of you desi's understand..if not oh well i am sure they are some woman that can sympathize with me...anyhow I am applying and probably to all texas schools this year since I live in Texas..

Paki here, this is my third time applying....I am 27 old female and not married so my parents are throwing a fit about me reapplying...I am sure some of you desi's understand..if not oh well i am sure they are some woman that can sympathize with me...anyhow I am applying and probably to all texas schools this year since I live in Texas..

Salaams..... Gujju here and this is second time applying. I am hoping and praying I get into one of the SMP I applied to so that I have some place to go in Sept. I know how u feel.... my YOUNGER sister is getting married in Aug and my fam is on my *** too. I wish u all the best ;-)

Another sign that you are a desi is when your parents brain wash you early in life to become a doctor or an engineer :laugh:

In my case, i am doing both...:D

Good luck. Dont give up you ll get in. :thumbup:

i just had a dumb question....

i was wondering.... how do u make your predents profile visible on sdn?? some people have a link to their predent profile underneath their profile pic.... and i wanted to have one of those links under my profile too... but i cant figure out how to get the link!!!

i just had a dumb question....

i was wondering.... how do u make your predents profile visible on sdn?? some people have a link to their predent profile underneath their profile pic.... and i wanted to have one of those links under my profile too... but i cant figure out how to get the link!!!

My Account
Edit Profile
Bottom of page
Add your predent id.
Done.

Hi,

I'm desi also...I'd rather call myself Punjabi-Sikh, not desi as it sounds slang. I'm Canadian but applying to all the private American dental schools. Good luck to everyone!