Are there any DOs going through Wright-State/Wright-Patterson Gen. Surg. Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to find out more about the general surgical residency program in Dayton, Ohio. Just curious to hear from anyone. I also want to know if they look at both COMLEX and or USMLE scores. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did surgical residency at Wright State/WPAFB. There were several DO's-- most were excellent residents, one was the best chief resident I have ever seen. It looks to me like there are two DO's in the program currently. You can check it out for yourself on their website.

http://www.med.wright.edu/surg/res/residents.html

That said, I think a DO applicant will always be a little behind a similarly qualified MD when competing for an allopathic surgical residency. But I don't think you'd be locked out at Wright-State.

Briefly, I thought it was a great military surgical residency. Mainly because virtually the entire residency was done at the busy downtown civilian hospitals. Very little time (6 Months) was wasted at the AFB hospital, where there were very few cases, tons of ridiculous paperwork, poor support staff, etc. It was essentially a civilian, university program while still being technically a "military residency."

You can PM me with any specific questions.

Thank you for your help.