Are there any eclectic PhD/PsyD programs out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elprez33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I find that there are tenants of the major branches of psychology that I agree and disagree with. Also I have been a very "truth/what is right is relative" type of person.

Are there any programs in the US (or Canada) that have a more eclectic view of psychology, taking pieces from the major schools of thought? I feel it would be useful as clinician by providing multiple points of view for assisting a client.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs will require practica where you will inevitable practice multiple types of therapy, all of which come from various systems.

At this stage, I would worry less about what you "agree/disagree" with, as that is largely irrelevant at this early stage. Get a variety of experiences providing treatments that have research to back up their use. If somebody says, "Why are you doing X instead of Y?"....you cant just come back and say because this is what I "like." Or because this is more deep/introspective/fun. You actually have to cite some kind of empirical support for why you chose therapy X over therapy Y.

Also, the more PC term is probably integrative than eclectic, which depending on region of USA can mean a lot of different things. As ERG mentioned, programs that can offer well-rounded training in use of evidence based treatments (EBT) would be a good place to start. Most sites though, always have that one person who plays devil advocate and has an orientation different from the majority which can lead to unique and interesting training experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most programs will require practica where you will inevitable practice multiple types of therapy, all of which come from various systems.

At this stage, I would worry less about what you "agree/disagree" with, as that is largely irrelevant at this early stage. Get a variety of experiences providing treatments that have research to back up their use. If somebody says, "Why are you doing X instead of Y?"....you cant just come back and say because this is what I "like." Or because this is more deep/introspective/fun. You actually have to cite some kind of empirical support for why you chose therapy X over therapy Y.

*applause* :)

I agree with what everyone is saying.

You will need a solid foundation in a major treatment approach (e.g., CBT) plus supervision and clinical training before even beginning to think about integrating other diverse approaches (e.g., systems or psychodynamic therapy). Even if you are very experienced, you should always have a rationale for why you are going to integrate other approaches.

An integrative approach also requires that the clinician have a solid understanding of each approach they are drawing from, not just know the parts that they want to use. DBT is a good example of an approach ppl say they like to use, but they don't actually know true DBT....which sort of required you to go All In and not just use parts. ;)

"Integration" truly only happens after you have been practicing for years and have learned to work across diagnoses and populations and find yourself drawing on a range of theories and methods because you need to. Choose a program that appeals to you because of the quality of the teaching and research and you will find your way. Personally, I'd avoid a program that advertises adherence to a single model, unless they have a strong set of affiliated internships and employment options associated with them where that model would be welcomed.

I'm going to second the emphasis on making sure that you are getting training in empirically supported methods. You can be trained in dozens of methods, but if none of them are empirically supported, you are useless to me as a clinician. And, when it comes to hiring in some places (such as the VA, the largest employer of psychologists) the EST/EBT's are what we are hiring.

Thank you to all in advanced. I really appreciate the outlooks and advice given.

As an UG psychology student, it is quite daunting to try to understand all of the viewpoints and perspectives of psychology. I completely and entirely agree that EB practices are what I want to focus on. Effectiveness of a certain method of therapy is something that currently seek to and will continue to study. Just because one therapeutic approach appeals to me doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the most effective way to assist a client.

The comment by docma makes sense, that integration (yay for new vocabulary) would come later down the line with experience and study as a practitioner.

So does that mean that right now, cognitive-behavioral is the mainstream "foundation" for most programs in training clinicians?

I guess my motivation for asking about integration of differing methods stems from (foolishly) wanting to be able to help everyone with everything. This is something that I need to work on.

So does that mean that right now, cognitive-behavioral is the mainstream "foundation" for most programs in training clinicians?

At probably about 80% of clincial psy.d and ph,.d programs in the country, we could probably say that this is the case.

At probably about 80% of clincial psy.d and ph,.d programs in the country, we could probably say that this is the case.
Agreed, with the exception of a small island off the eastern coast that houses predominantly psychodynamic programs.

Alright so build a strong base in CBT, worry about integration down the road.

Thank you again :)