Are there any female mormon predents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IheartTeeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only met male mormons at my interviews and alot of em...where are the ladies? Are they not allowed to be dentists and doctors or something?

Members don't see this ad.

You got it, they are NOT allowed to even have jobs....thats a good one

Reactions: 1 users
its allowed, but like anything else its a personal decision that mormon women make about what career to pursue, and apparently going through years of professional schooling at great cost is something that isn't very popular to them. I for one wish there were more LDS women going into dentistry, since one could work part-time and still make a significant amount of money while still being able to have family time.

Members don't see this ad :)
its allowed, but like anything else its a personal decision that mormon women make about what career to pursue, and apparently going through years of professional schooling at great cost is something that isn't very popular to them. I for one wish there were more LDS women going into dentistry, since one could work part-time and still make a significant amount of money while still being able to have family time.

Just curious ... Is polygamy allowed/practiced among mormons?

would you want more than one mother in law? I've got one and thats enough ;)

I've only met male mormons at my interviews and alot of em...where are the ladies? Are they not allowed to be dentists and doctors or something?

I am sure there are. Yhere are (at least) three female Mormons in my husbands class and I am sure they aren't the only three Mormon women interested in dentistry.

dude...if you cut them off they already know, I can't talk to you anymore...good luck

Mormon women tend to be more oriented towards a traditional family... the guy works while she takes care of the house and kids.

But I do have a good Mormon joke for you:

What's the difference between a catholic wedding and a Mormon wedding?

At the catholic wedding the bride is pregnant. At the Mormon wedding, the mother of the bride is pregnant.

I am Mormon myself. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, I mean this joke in good humor. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sleep? What's that?

I'd be interested to hear about any other schools that do have female Mormon students. I met a lot of males during my interviews and here at school, but have yet to meet a woman. I'm sure they're out there!!

Cute, nate28 :cool:

To Mormon men out there: how would you feel if

1. your wife was in your class with you,
2. if an unmarried Mormon woman was a dental student, or
3. if you stayed at home and she was the student?

I'm just curious since I'd like to hear intelligent opinions and not see a thread on the topic closed for good reason within minutes. :rolleyes:

I'm just curious since I'd like to hear intelligent opinions and not see a thread on the topic closed for good reason within minutes. :rolleyes:

1. That might be cool, but I like to be independent so it might be a source of conflict. I need some time to myself.
2. I would like that... what happened to those thread about meeting your spouse in dental school?
3. Sweet! But I don't think I'd like that as much as being a dentist. I have this itch that I need to be productive, but I'm not against letting her be the student while I stay at home.

I'd be interested to hear about any other schools that do have female Mormon students. I met a lot of males during my interviews and here at school, but have yet to meet a woman. I'm sure they're out there!!

1. That would be great because we could study together and eventually practice together. It would also be easier on the relationship, as far as understanding what you are both going through.
2. So what?
3. I actually offered that to my wife (seriously) but she chose for me to have me be the provider and for her to stay home with our children. She is not a dental student but has a business education.

1. I'd be interested to hear about any other schools that do have female Mormon students. I met a lot of males during my interviews and here at school, but have yet to meet a woman. I'm sure they're out there!!

Cute, nate28

I'm just curious since I'd like to hear intelligent opinions and not see a thread on the topic closed for good reason within minutes.

BTW are these questions intended to expose Mormon men as sexist, male chauvinists??

mormonninja.jpg

that girl who plays Izzy in Greys Anatomy is mormon..and she is FOINE!!!!..just my opinion..continue w/ the discussion

1. It would be awesome, because my wife is way, way smarter than me (she graduated from WSU (hygiene) with a 4.0 three years out of high school) and she could help me out more than she already does.

2. We have 2 (I think) and a couple others that are ahead of me and I think more power to them. I am glad they are doing what they want to do.

3. Hmmm....I am way to ADD and I don't know if I could stay home all day. I would at least do some type of meathead job and try to look like I am busy. Also, I have tried to talk her into going to dental school, but she loves hygiene and no homework.

Most LDS women don't work full time, not to mention spending four years getting to their career. I am not saying you will never see it, but it isn't common.

I would love to have more LDS women in D school. But you need to remember that the average mormon woman gets married early, like 19-21. So undergrad education may even be cut short.

:)

My LDS sister just graduated from dental school this spring (at the top of her class I might add) and started her practice this fall. She is loving it and her husband was very supportive. Now that she is working he is going back for his MBA. LDS women are smart, but it is true that some marry young and sacrifice their education for their husbands.

Just curious ... Is polygamy allowed/practiced among mormons?
Yes if you move to Colorado City (right at the boarder between Utah and Arizona). I personally know a dentist who are practicing polygamy at Provo, UT.

You can find more information about it at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_City,_Arizona

If you're interested to find out more about polygamy, you should check out this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-..._bbs_sr_1/002-9922395-4602410?ie=UTF8&s=books

Just to make things clear The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does NOT support or encourage polygamy in any way. "Mormons" or "LDS" people who are living by the principles taught do not live a polygamist life-style.

I'm sure ya'll are just making jokes but I'd hate to have someone really believe that that's what we are all about!

BTW, good luck to everyone tomorrow!

I taught DAT classes in Provo (where BYU is), and out of about 140 students in all the classes I taught, I think 6 were girls. But that's just because Mormon girls don't need Kaplan to ace the DAT, right? :)

Yes if you move to Colorado City (right at the boarder between Utah and Arizona). I personally know a dentist who are practicing polygamy at Provo, UT.

You can find more information about it at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_City,_Arizona

If you're interested to find out more about polygamy, you should check out this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-..._bbs_sr_1/002-9922395-4602410?ie=UTF8&s=books

Maybe you should limit your remarks to topics you know something about.

BTW are these questions intended to expose Mormon men as sexist, male chauvinists??

I assume you're joking, but just in case not, I hope that the many thorough responses I got might prove that I had no such intentions.

In fact, quite the opposite: since I know so little about Mormon culture and lifestyle, I thought I'd ask some opinions from those who can supply true facts, so that I'm not making assumptions or listening to possibly prejudiced rumors.

Though I'd think carefully about being so reactive, since you are included in those representing Mormon opinion. But the others seemed to get the point of my cheery curiosity.

I hope anyone would do the same for any aspect of my lifestyle.

(any questions on playing the euphonium? :laugh: )

I assume you're joking, but just in case not, I hope that the many thorough responses I got might prove that I had no such intentions.

In fact, quite the opposite: since I know so little about Mormon culture and lifestyle, I thought I'd ask some opinions from those who can supply true facts, so that I'm not making assumptions or listening to possibly prejudiced rumors.

Though I'd think carefully about being so reactive, since you are included in those representing Mormon opinion. But the others seemed to get the point of my cheery curiosity.

I hope anyone would do the same for any aspect of my lifestyle.

(any questions on playing the euphonium? :laugh: )

Sorry, I was joking. I should have thrown that laughy thing in there. As far as your comment about me not being "so reactive," maybe you should do the same before you discover whether someone is being sarcastic or not.

Maybe you should limit your remarks to topics you know something about.
I don't, that's why I quote someone that do such as Jon Krakauer. Everybody please check out this book if you want to learn more about this subject. "Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith" by Jon Krakauer. I was so fascinating by the polygamous stories and the dark secrets that went on in Colorado city since the beginning of the century. This book is one of the national bestseller got 602 customer reviews, you can go wrong with this book.

I don't, that's why I quote someone that do such as Jon Krakauer. Everybody please check out this book if you want to learn more about this subject. "Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith" by Jon Krakauer. I was so fascinating by the polygamous stories and the dark secrets that went on in Colorado city since the beginning of the century. This book is one of the national bestseller got 602 customer reviews, you can go wrong with this book.

They are not affiliated with the LDS church that everyone refers to on here (and in general) as "Mormon." It even says in that wikipedia article you posted that they are members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are a break-off sect that was formed because they chose to practice polygamy. You just don't have your facts straight.

They are not affiliated with the LDS church that everyone refers to on here (and in general) as "Mormon." It even says in that wikipedia article you posted that they are members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are a break-off sect that was formed because they chose to practice polygamy. You just don't have your facts straight.
A typo on my pervious post, it should read you CAN"T go wrong... instead.

Jim: FLDS is also considered Mormon, LDS and FLDS are both from the same root. I don't mean to be disrespectful but the founder of the Mormon church Joesph Smith had also practiced polygamy and had few dozens wives, ages were from 16 (or 14?) to mid-40's, you can't deny this fact.

A few year ago I was chatting with a friend from S.F. and he told me polygamy was a myth and didn't exist. So I just want to clarify this point that's all, I don't mean to be offensive.

why is it when anyone asks a legitimate question that someone has to start the mormon bashing? what does polygamy have to do with female mormon pre-dents?

Ok, I see this going in weird places so I (as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints) would like to give this answer coming directly from the official church website. I invite all with other questions to check it out. www.lds.org

Question:
What is the Church’s position on polygamy?

Answer:
In 1998, President Gordon B. Hinckley made the following statement about the Church's position on plural marriage:
"This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. . . . If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church."

At various times, the Lord has commanded His people to practice plural marriage. For example, He gave this command to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, and Solomon (Doctrine and Covenants 132:1).

In this dispensation, the Lord commanded some of the early Saints to practice plural marriage. The Prophet Joseph Smith and those closest to him, including Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, were challenged by this command, but they obeyed it. Church leaders regulated the practice. Those entering into it had to be authorized to do so, and the marriages had to be performed through the sealing power of the priesthood. In 1890, President Wilford Woodruff received a revelation that the leaders of the Church should cease teaching the practice of plural marriage (Official Declaration 1).

Sorry for the long post but I hate to have misconceptions floating around out there about us. :)

Reactions: 1 user
why is it when anyone asks a legitimate question that someone has to start the mormon bashing? what does polygamy have to do with female mormon pre-dents?

Thank you!!! Agreed.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Couldn't agree more. Any female Mormon dental students or predents have things to share about their experiences?

And many apologies to jim85213. Stupid internet indirect communication...:oops:

*countdown until thread is closed........10....9....*

The reason why this thread gets so easily off topic is because the female mormon predents are sparse to say the least. There is nothing to talk about.

So is anyone on SDN a mormon female predent?

I am waiting to hear from you.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Couldn't agree more. Any female Mormon dental students or predents have things to share about their experiences?

And many apologies to jim85213. Stupid internet indirect communication...:oops:

*countdown until thread is closed........10....9....*

No problem, we're cool. I also wanted to state earlier that I appreciate you getting your information from members of the church instead of just from critics.

It is secret code for mormon.

Latter-Day Saint

Reactions: 1 user
I was just answering skyNice's post.

...coming from a henchman's point of view is inevitably bias.