Are there any fields of research that would be a good or bad use of my time if interested in matching to a competitive neuro program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirktodd0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never done research before so I'm just looking to give it a shot and hopefully strengthen my application for residency. I'm considering psychology research because I go to a big school where all the neuro docs probably get flooded with emails from students asking to do research. Neurosurg is another possibility. Are these fine options for trying to match neuro or should I focus specifically on neurology research? I've heard research isn't necessarily a requirement for matching but once application season comes I want to make sure my application is as competitive as possible because I'll be doing couples matching with my SO.

Also are there any other things I could be spending my time on to make sure I'm competitive when the time comes? I'm still in preclinical years so there's plenty of time

Members don't see this ad.

The most important thing here is to find a good research mentor who a) does research that you find interesting, b) has the time/resources to teach you, and c) has a project in mind that is within your capabilities. Finding these things at any institution is often not trivial and can take some time and initiative.

Related fields research (e.g. psychology/cognitive, neuroradiology, neurosurgery, neuropath) is great. However, at most institutions, it would be highly unusual for all the research-focused neurologists to be approached by tons of students looking to do research. That's far more common in more cut-throat competitive specialties where fewer faculty are independently funded investigators (like neurosurg).

However, at most institutions, it would be highly unusual for all the research-focused neurologists to be approached by tons of students looking to do research.

I can see why that would seem weird but my school isn't affiliated with any academic hospitals so there aren't many docs doing research. We have like 3 neurosurgeons and 5 neurologists who do research. Plenty of other neurologists but only 5 that do any kind of research at all.

I can see why that would seem weird but my school isn't affiliated with any academic hospitals so there aren't many docs doing research. We have like 3 neurosurgeons and 5 neurologists who do research. Plenty of other neurologists but only 5 that do any kind of research at all.
I mean, 5 is a lot. You should ask them all imo. My school is huge and only 6 of us are applying neuro, which is more than usual. Most of them aren't doing research either.