Quantcast

Are there any MD or DO schools that do not employ affirmative action in admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any schools that do not use affirmative action? I heard anecdotally some of the UC schools don't, but I'm not sure which ones or if there are any others.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

efle

not an elf
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this affect medical schools?
I believe it is meant to, can't comment on whether it is worked around these days. Did find this which mentions the following cycle saw a 20% drop in UC med school enrollment for URMs, but that was a decade ago.

AccessoryNavicular

Reaction score
May I ask why you are specifically searching for schools that don't apply affirmative action?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Well, I'd probably ask about it if I was Asian and believed the reputation/hype about Asian MD admissions

Perhaps you shouldn't jump to conclusions. I'm African-American and I wanted to know which universities don't care enough about African-American representation in medicine. There needs to be more affirmative action, particularly when there are young black men being killed all across this country.

acapnial

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you shouldn't jump to conclusions. I'm African-American and I wanted to know which universities don't care enough about African-American representation in medicine. There needs to be more affirmative action, particularly when there are young black men being killed all across this country.

Obvious troll

Reactions: 3 users

efle

not an elf
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, exactly what is funny to you about the tragic deaths of the men in Louisiana and Minnesota?
0.4/10

Reactions: 4 users

Lawpy

31 ★ The L is for Lend No Okays
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score

I'm sorry, exactly what is funny to you about the tragic deaths of the men in Louisiana and Minnesota?

Innocent men are being killed by racist, rogue police officers, and all you have to say, as a future physician, is "0.4/10"?
b9c68480d2475fc86f0b55a0dd634b594b8e25fdcdf0e4cbe88707d1da312af3.jpg

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
You know, this doesn't exactly instill confidence that the next generation of physicians will be able to tackle the issue of institutional racism.

Can anyone actually answer my original question?

D

deleted731525

CommentPhotos.com_1405448974.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take the MCAT. Indicate your race on the exam. If you are any good, your mailbox (electronic and perhaps snailmail) will fill with ads from schools wanting you to apply. A school would be crazy not to be seeking talented URM candidates for admission.

Reactions: 2 users

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Take the MCAT. Indicate your race on the exam. If you are any good, your mailbox (electronic and perhaps snailmail) will fill with ads from schools wanting you to apply. A school would be crazy not to be seeking talented URM candidates for admission.
Thank you for the helpful advice. But can anyone explain why URM representation in medicine is still so poor, and why affirmative action policies haven't improved sufficiently to address this?

Orvandi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Physician quality is still more important than diversity. Perhaps you ought to pursue a career in the legal field if social justice is of so much concern.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The URMs aren't applying. For example, last year some 450 African-American men applied. This is less than it was 10 years ago.

Thank you for the helpful advice. But can anyone explain why URM representation in medicine is still so poor, and why affirmative action policies haven't improved sufficiently to address this?

There are clinical outcomes (with published data to back it up) on why it's a good idea to get more URMs into Medicine.

Physician quality is still more important than diversity.

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Physician quality is still more important than diversity. Perhaps you ought to pursue a career in the legal field if social justice is of so much concern.
So you're saying that URMs make lower quality physicians? I'll ignore the career remark.

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
The URMs aren't applying. For example, last year some 450 African-American men applied. This is less than it was 10 years ago.

There are clinical outcomes (with published data to back it up) on why it's a good idea to get more URMs into Medicine.

Physician quality is still more important than diversity.
That makes sense, but shouldn't medical schools be accepting the URMs that do apply then? Isn't it important to have a workforce that reflects the patient population?

SydSing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that wasn't being said. But a lack of representation leads to a vicious cycle.

We need more minority physicians but since there aren't many... minorities often don't see themselves as capable of succeeding on that path and thus don't pursue it.

Then you have less applicants and less matriculants and less doctors.

I asked why URM representation in medicine is so poor, and they replyed that physician quality is more important than diversity. Isn't the only logical conclusion that URMs are lower quality physicians? What is your interpretation then?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

The pool of qualified applicants is very small. Disparities in K-12 education driven by segregated housing and lower spending on schools in minority communities may be contributing. People of color are less likely to attend college, less likely to finish college, more likely to be incarcerated (which can make it more difficult to be admitted to professional school after release) than whites.

Reactions: 4 users

SydSing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ah I believe I misread the quote you were referencing. I for some reason matched it with Goro's.

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Will the recent Supreme Court case be helping matters any in encouraging schools to recruits URMs? And has the AAMC issued a statement supporting the Black Lives Matter movement? That might help boost the application numbers.

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will the recent Supreme Court case be helping matters any in encouraging schools to recruits URMs? And has the AAMC issued a statement supporting the Black Lives Matter movement? That might help boost the application numbers.
The court case was not about mandating an increase in AA, so no. And an issue of support for BLM would be very controversial. Many people, like me, agree with some of the assertions of BLM but 100% disagree with how they deliver their message. The AAMC has issue statements supporting the recruitment of more URMs and has produced works explaining why having more URMs is beneficial

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
The court case was not about mandating an increase in AA, so no. And an issue of support for BLM would be very controversial. Many people, like me, agree with some of the assertions of BLM but 100% disagree with how they deliver their message. The AAMC has issue statements supporting the recruitment of more URMs and has produced works explaining why having more URMs is beneficial
I'm not sure which part of BLM you disagree with. There are two black men killed just this week by police! Don't we need to do something about the racist police force?

JustaDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2016-7-8_17-37-49.png

You know, this doesn't exactly instill confidence that the next generation of physicians will be able to tackle the issue of institutional racism.

You know, this doesn't exactly instill confidence that you are even worth answering seriously too.

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which part of BLM you disagree with. There are two black men killed just this week by police! Don't we need to do something about the racist police force?
Okay, pretty certain you are just trolling for an argument because I pretty clearly stated that I agree with some of their assertions but disagree with the way they try to deliver their message

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Okay, pretty certain you are just trolling for an argument because I pretty clearly stated that I agree with some of their assertions but disagree with the way they try to deliver their message
OK, what part of the messaging do you disagree with? And which assertions do you not agree with? I'd love to hear this while 2 men are being buried this week. #BlackLivesMatter

JustaDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Easy there, bubba. So I take you're opposed to the BLM movement? What a surprise that would be.

Not sure what is more sad, you pretending to be a girl, or delusional enough to think that making a new account and posting something controversial won't be obvious. Actually, pretending. Without a doubt.

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, what part of the messaging do you disagree with?
That's irrelevant. You asked if AAMC issued a statement of support for BLM. BLM has polarized themselves in the way they have been delivering their message. It would be controversial and inappropriate for AAMC to come out in support of BLM rather than just come in support of the beliefs that are held by BLM. And within medical schools, there was the White Coats for Black Lives demonstrations, which would be more appropriate for them to support.

doctorleospaceman

Medical Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posts like this make me so glad that I'm no longer on a college campus

ChymeofPassion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Crazy cult-like argumentative style detected. No longer troll, but delusional.

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
That's irrelevant. You asked if AAMC issued a statement of support for BLM. BLM has polarized themselves in the way they have been delivering their message. It would be controversial and inappropriate for AAMC to come out in support of BLM rather than just come in support of the beliefs that are held by BLM. And within medical schools, there was the White Coats for Black Lives demonstrations, which would be more appropriate for them to support.
You were the one who brought it up and cited it as a reason that the AAMC cannot endorse BLM. But now you don't want to disclose the reason? I'm not sure why the medical community can't ally with BLM and fight systemic racism. And why hasn't the AAMC supported White Coats 4 Black Lives?

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Not sure what is more sad, you pretending to be a girl, or delusional enough to think that making a new account and posting something controversial won't be obvious. Actually, pretending. Without a doubt.
LOL at your personal attacks. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get banned soon.

ChymeofPassion

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have anything constructive to say? Or just anti-troll nonsense?
Anything I and the rest of the world would consider constructive you'd construe as an attack on BLM and your race. So no, I have nothing more to say.

Mansamusa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You were the one who brought it up and cited it as a reason that the AAMC cannot endorse BLM. But now you don't want to disclose the reason?
Again, this is why I'm saying you are trolling. It is pretty easy to understand the difference between beliefs and a political group. The beliefs held by BLM supporters exist whether or not BLM exists. The AAMC has already come out in support of some of these beliefs, but coming out in support for the group itself when the group has been involved in many controversies would be inappropriate.

DC girl 200

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Again, this is why I'm saying you are trolling. It is pretty easy to understand the difference between beliefs and a political group. The beliefs held by BLM supporters exist whether or not BLM exists. The AAMC has already come out in support of some of these beliefs, but coming out in support for the group itself when the group has been involved in many controversies would be inappropriate.
Not sure why you think that, but what "controversies" are you referring to? Defending black men from getting shot at by racist white cops?

Status
Not open for further replies.