Are there any medical schools that only look at pre-reqs gpa or last 40 hrs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scurred09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My overall gpa sucks at 3.1, science at 3.7, pre-reqs at 3.9, last 40 at 4.0. I was wondering if there are any medical schools that focus more on overall pre-reqs. gpa vs. overall gpa. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Every school looks at everything, bottom line. Some schools put more weight on different things. Upward trends are always seen as good. As long as you have a decent MCAT score, you should definitely apply.

I saw a few post about several students who got in with a 3.0 and 26 mcat. So, perhaps there is still hope. Just wish I hadn't screwed up so bad during my undergrad. Thanks for chiming in.

Every school looks at everything, bottom line. Some schools put more weight on different things. Upward trends are always seen as good. As long as you have a decent MCAT score, you should definitely apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. You're over the 3.0 hurdle, which is a big one. Your AACOMAS will break down your GPA by year, which is also good for you. Most schools will weigh your latter performance a bit more heavily, but I don't know of a list of DO schools that have this as published policy or anything.

Yes my brother, I'm going to study really hard for the mcat to compensate for my low overall gpa. What is your status? Have you applied yet?
I agree. You're over the 3.0 hurdle, which is a big one. Your AACOMAS will break down your GPA by year, which is also good for you. Most schools will weigh your latter performance a bit more heavily, but I don't know of a list of DO schools that have this as published policy or anything.

A 3.1 with those trends should be fine.

Scurrrrrred09, how did your apps go (assuming you applied this past summer when this thread was made)?

Your total GPA and upward trend are similar to mine, so this would be interesting to here.

And if there are other applicants out there who have somewhat low total GPA's (~3.1) + an upward trend, how did your apps go for you?

And if there are other applicants out there who have somewhat low total GPA's (~3.1) + an upward trend, how did your apps go for you?

I had a 2.9non-science, 3.76science and 3.07cum and got interviews at KCOM, PCOM and LECOM-Erie and accepted at LECOM and PCOM. Canceled my KCOM interview after getting into PCOM.

My high science GPA is because I did a post-bac after I got my undergrad head out of my butt and rocked the post-bac.

I had a 2.9non-science, 3.76science and 3.07cum and got interviews at KCOM, PCOM and LECOM-Erie and accepted at LECOM and PCOM. Canceled my KCOM interview after getting into PCOM.

My high science GPA is because I did a post-bac after I got my undergrad head out of my butt and rocked the post-bac.

Do you mind sharing if you've worked in healthcare, your volunteer experiences, or anything else that you think really set you apart from your lower gpa. Thanks and congrats on getting into LECOM and PCOM!

Do you mind sharing if you've worked in healthcare, your volunteer experiences, or anything else that you think really set you apart from your lower gpa. Thanks and congrats on getting into LECOM and PCOM!

I worked at a nursing home for ~five years, but it wasn't in a medical capacity and I did some volunteering while I was there. I also spent a few months in Nigeria helping at a medical clinic while visiting family.

I think what may have made a big difference was my LORs. All of the people I asked were very enthusiastic about writing them, so that probably came across in them.

And in case anyone wants to head in that direction, I did *not* put my status as an URM on any of my applications.