Are there any minors that would be useful as a pre-med?

Mar 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm feeling as though I need to take away as much as I can from my University before I graduate.
None. Take what appeals to you, and do well. Doing well will be useful as a premed, since grades are important. Other than that and prerequisites, for the umpteenth time, schools don't care about majors or minors, so no, they don't matter, and there is no such thing as a useful one.

About the Ads

drbatsandwich

I like bats. I like sandwiches.
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I wish I had minored in Spanish. Had a lot of exposure to the language at home throughout my childhood and studied it during middle and high school, but my fear of sounding like an idiot and making mistakes prevented me from developing fluency. Now that 15 years have passed and I’ve moved on from that mindset, I feel like it would be an extremely useful skill for a physician to have.

Aug 7, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I took two minors in school, Anthropology and Public Health. I like both subjects and I can imagine myself in a career within that field. If you're going to go for a minor, look for something you enjoy and something you can use in the future.

Rachapkis

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2018
Status
Non-Student
Why don’t you care about miners? They built this country. Without the coal miners of West Virginia and movies like The Coal Miner’s Daughter, where would we be? Oh, minors . . . still, young people, especially those under 18, are very important to the success of this nation . . .

gonnif

Only 50 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Why don’t you care about miners? They built this country. Without the coal miners of West Virginia and movies like The Coal Miner’s Daughter, where would we be? Oh, minors . . . still, young people, especially those under 18, are very important to the success of this nation . . .
but adcoms dont care about minors...unless you are contributing to the delinquency of one and then they notice big time

Reactions: Rachapkis

lull

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2018
I wondered about language (mandarin), african american studies or business.
Like another poster said, I think Spanish is useful. I'm not minoring in Spanish, but I took a lot of upper-level Spanish classes that go into not just the language, but a lot of cultural/historical topics that are really interesting and I think important to learn. I also think African American studies would be cool or any other minor that delves into other cultures. The classes I learned the most out of and came up in a lot of interesting conversations were from the humanities. I had to take a political ideology class as a part of my lib ed requirements where we read novels from important figures during the Civil Rights Movement (Malcom X, MLK, James Baldwin), and this was hands down the most rewarding class I took in college.

Tenk

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
You’d learn more about medicine taking a job in anything customer service related than minoring in anything. You’d also make money doing it instead of losing money so that’s cool too.

PigsHaveWings

Dokter or Professional PickleBaller
May 10, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
@Goro will there be a big impact between an applicant with 1 major, versus graduating with double majors, or major with 2 minors to demonstrate a more rigorous college education ?

Ihave Nonamè

2+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2017
You’d learn more about medicine taking a job in anything customer service related than minoring in anything. You’d also make money doing it instead of losing money so that’s cool too.
Been there, done that. I hope to never have to do it again!

gonnif

Only 50 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
@Goro will there be a big impact between an applicant with 1 major, versus graduating with double majors, or major with 2 minors to demonstrate a more rigorous college education ?
no, adcoms do not know the rigor of a specific major at a specific college. While completing more than one major with high GPA is an accomplishment, the potential risk from getting impacting GPA is a real negative. That is, not only do not gain an advantage from the attempt of doing more than 1 major, it will be considered bad judgement at best. Additionally, if you do a "difficult" major and get less than stellar GPA, an adcom cant assume it was because it was difficult; it could be you were just a poor student and that is the conclusion they will take.

jjbittenbinder

MD Applicant 2020-21
2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I chose to minor in a totally unrelated topic (religious history) because it was interesting to me and ended up being really fun! So maybe pick an academic field that you like but won't get to explore once you graduate undergrad. College gives you access to a lot of really cool faculty in a wide breadth of disciplines so I think it makes sense to study something weird and fun while you're a pre-med, since you're probably going to only be studying medicine during med school and residency.

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Gold Donor
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
I wish I minored in Spanish. But if not that, do something you really enjoy. I took a bunch of labor studies classes because that was a niche I enjoyed learning about.

Don't just do more stem to do more stem.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

About the Ads