1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any MPH jobs that are not desk jobs?

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by PizzaButt, Apr 30, 2007.

1. PizzaButt

PizzaButt New Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a JD and am considering going back to school for an MPH. I am passionate about the healthcare field but am interested in exploring the public health field. However, I hate desk jobs and that is a huge reason why I am changing careers. I wondered if there are any MPH jobs that are not desk jobs. In other words, I would not be interested in any career that involves sitting at a desk, doing research, writing reports and white papers, etc.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chimichunga

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Great question - I'm interested in some insight as well.

4. namazu

namazu Member
    5+ Year Member

There are plenty of jobs that aren't desk jobs, or at least not entirely desk jobs. It will depend to some extent on what MPH track you pursue and how you sell your experience.

Environmental health, in particular, has a lot of opportunities for field work - collecting samples, doing inspections, etc.

Health education also has a lot of opportunities for interpersonal interaction.

If you are interested in International Health, that may be a good way to get out into the world as well. Running a field clinic? Administering vaccines? Etc.?

I'm probably missing something obvious...but most public health jobs do require at least some paperwork, since there's an emphasis on accountability, and the funding sources necessitate it.

Some caveats:
    1) with a JD, you might be "typecast" for a paper-intensive job, so you'd have to play up the wanting-to-move-around thing
    2) with some exceptions, the desk jobs are the higher-paying jobs, if this is a consideration
    3) unless you're a "technician" level employee, and even then, there will probably be paperwork that needs to be filled out to account for use of grant money, etc.

What aspects of public health interest you?