Are there any Nigerian Pre-Meds out there..had to do it...

• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar - Starting at 8 PM

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy!

icecoldalpha06

Striving For Success...
10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Naija stand up!!! Rep for the culture/country...

Yorubas, Igbos, Hausa, Shakiri, Ijo, Benin etc...this is our chance to shine and introduce ourselves to one another...ill set it out..

Tribe:
Pops side of the fam..Edo State (Benin..closely indentify wit Yoruba)..and Moms side of the fam..River State (Andone..closely identify wit Igbo)..so you can say im half and half...

Favorite Dish:
Jolof rice with plantain and BBQ chicken...:D :D

senioritaelena

Let's go
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
What's up?

I am half Nigerian, will you accept me?;)

My father is Igbo and my mother is Italian.
The only Nigerian dish i have had is gari.
--peace

JohnMadden

Political Refugee
10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
I met a lot of nigerian med students on interviews, so im sure there are some premeds..

About the Ads

olaribs14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
I'm Yoruba!!! m so excited to see my brothers and sisters out there doin their thing!!!

naijagurl

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Nigerian all the way! Don't tell immigration that though I am supposed to be a US Citizen ;)
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone started a thread like this :)

Oschemi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Representing Naija here too.
Father is Igbo, mom is Benin.

CagedBird

Don't Worry, Be Happy
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Igbo in the house!!!!!!! :D
Mom is Igbo, dad is Igbo so I guess that makes me full igbo..hehe.
Favorite dish (2)- I'll have to go with egusi soup and fufu (yam powder goes better with egusi than garri in my opinion). I also have mad love for rice, stew, plantain and moi moi. Yum, yum..I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
Nice to see yall representing!! :cool:

GuzzyRon

Son of the Son of Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Under the shadow of the Almighty
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
OK, dudes and dudettes, apart from telling us your ethnic composition and what nots...how about some more meaningful info about your:
1. Location.
2. Undergrad school

And for those applying this cycle, where have you been:

3. Shunned or rejected:
4. Interviewed/Decision pending:
5. Placed on hold:
6. Accepted:
6a. Of your acceptance(s), where are you most likely to attend and why:
7. Anything Nigerian connected to this process:

Rather than dividing ourselves along ethnic and tribal lines, let's get some networking going on here!

About the Ads

GuzzyRon

Son of the Son of Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
OK, I'll set the ball rolling...

1. Location: Atlanta
2. Undergrad school: UGA

3. Shunned or rejected: MCG, Emory, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Toledo
4. Interviewed/Decision pending: NJMS, Morehouse, Mercer
5. Placed on hold: Cincy
6. Accepted: Howard, Meharry
6a. Of your acceptance(s), where are you most likely to attend and why: Undecided
7. Anything Nigerian connected to this process: My interviewer at NJMS, a neonatologist was also Nigerian. Withdrew from Ohio State, Drexel, Temple and RFU.

dutchman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
What is up with the emails from Nigeria? Everytime I turn arround, some king or prince is needing to do business from Nigeria :scared:

naijagurl

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Oh, Nigeria! What a good name we ahve created for ourselves. :p Seriously, at least we were smart enough to come up with the 419!!:D

Did u all see the special 20/20 had on 419 in Nigeria sometime last year?
Totally embarassing :oops: However, what confuses more is the people that fall prey to these ridiculous scams among them were a cardiovascular surgeon, a law professor, an attorney e.t.c.

digitalraid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This thread was inevitable. I'm an Igbo whose parents are from Anambra state.

1. Location. - Southeastern PA
2. Undergrad school - Temple U

3. Shunned or rejected: UChicago, Cornell, UPitt, Harvard (probably), Stanford, Mayo and a few other schools
4. Interviewed/Decision pending: WashU, Howard
5. Placed on hold: Baylor, UPenn, UMichigan
6. Accepted: Temple
6a. Of your acceptance(s), where are you most likely to attend and why: Well Temple is the only one so far but I'd rather go to WashU.
7. Anything Nigerian connected to this process: not really, haha. Just the parents using me to brag to their peers (I'd rather not get caught up in all that nonsense).

Oschemi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This thread was inevitable. I'm an Igbo whose parents are from Anambra state.

1. Location. - Southeastern PA
2. Undergrad school - Temple U

3. Shunned or rejected: UChicago, Cornell, UPitt, Harvard (probably), Stanford, Mayo and a few other schools
4. Interviewed/Decision pending: WashU, Howard
5. Placed on hold: Baylor, UPenn, UMichigan
6. Accepted: Temple
6a. Of your acceptance(s), where are you most likely to attend and why: Well Temple is the only one so far but I'd rather go to WashU.
7. Anything Nigerian connected to this process: not really, haha. Just the parents using me to brag to their peers (I'd rather not get caught up in all that nonsense).

Ha, my dad is Igbo and also from anambra state:D

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
I hope you guys not going to send out letters asking for personal bank information in order to depasit $20 mil.

BTW, I am not a Nigerian but knew a Nigerian who tried to cut someone's throat.

wutwinb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
half Nigerian here....father is Yoruba.

I'm applying for the 2008 cycle, excited to get this thing started! :D

undergrad: Wash U

CagedBird

Don't Worry, Be Happy
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Did u all see the special 20/20 had on 419 in Nigeria sometime last year?
Totally embarassing :oops: However, what confuses more is the people that fall prey to these ridiculous scams among them were a cardiovascular surgeon, a law professor, an attorney e.t.c.

Yes!! I saw that 20/20 special on youtube..I was so embarassed :oops:. And I too was confused as to how anyone could fall prey to that crazy email. WTH, anyone in their right mind knows it is a scam. But it just goes to show that greed is everywhere and although the scam artists are wrong for doing such a thing, those who fell victim should have exercised some logical thought before partaking in such an act.
And how about the song, "I go chop your dollar."

About the Ads

naijagurl

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
And how about the song, "I go chop your dollar."[/

From the movie, "osofia in london" did they really need to dig that up?

mikeinsd

predictably unpredictable
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
2 things...

1- nelson mandella quote above (in someone's signature) = probably one of the best speeches i have ever read...

2- I am fully aware of the scamming etc, but the reference to 419 is lost one me... anyone care to explain that part specifically, yet briefly

ps - yes i am just a white male... white as they come... so why did i click on this thread? no good reason whatsoever, that is your answer

senioritaelena

Let's go
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey,

I actually have a movie that my uncle sent to us from Nigeria. It is a drama about 419. It ends with some of the scammers going to jail, but they give a whole bunch of reasons as to why they did it. It is actually pretty entertaining. I will look for it's name when I get home and post it.

chichi515

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
2 things...

1- nelson mandella quote above (in someone's signature) = probably one of the best speeches i have ever read...

2- I am fully aware of the scamming etc, but the reference to 419 is lost one me... anyone care to explain that part specifically, yet briefly

ps - yes i am just a white male... white as they come... so why did i click on this thread? no good reason whatsoever, that is your answer

419 is the code for advance fee fraud and other frauds in the Nigerian criminal system

naijagurl

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
2 things...

:thumbup:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, WHO AM I TO BE BRILLIANT, GORGEOUS, TALENTED, & FABULOUS. Actually WHO ARE YOU NOT TO BE? We were born to make manifest the GLORY of GOD that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

I think that 419 refers to the section of the criminal code that this type of fraud violates..... hope that helps!

mikeinsd

predictably unpredictable
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
yeah that pretty much clears it up, thanks :D

About the Ads

icecoldalpha06

Striving For Success...
10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
OMG...so funny how topics in threads change..i should change this thread to 419 scandals..lol..juss playin..but yea 419 scandals are sooo ridiculous..sad to see a surgeon and a law prof. fall into the trap..but hey some Nigerians are sneaky enough to get that stuff done..:D

Oh and Im a Cali boy..that really wants to attend Drew UCLA (interviewed there earlier this month)...that school has the best of both worlds i tell ya (UCLA education and an oppurtunities to administer healthcare in a big city like LA to disadvantaged folks..doesnt get any better than that) yea but ive interviewed at Howard, Iowa, UCLA, and USC is coming up next month..GOOD LUCK TO ALL..Naija folks we gotta do it big!! :thumbup:

MSTPbound

student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I'm second generation Haitian... so probably about... oh, I don't know... somewhere between 5th and 10th generation Yoruba (Anago)... possibly Igbo, and maybe Efik somewhere in there???

Does that work, or do I have to find a new thread?

stixx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
ok signing in

haha so love/hate

love being nigerian...hate that all the rest of you naijas have to be so smart...making me look bad lol

CagedBird

Don't Worry, Be Happy
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
ok signing in

haha so love/hate

love being nigerian...hate that all the rest of you naijas have to be so smart...making me look bad lol

LOL, stixx....it's funny that you say that because my mentor and I were actually discussing this (she is a caucasian female btw) and she finds it very interesting that her students of African descent do extremely well in her class. I simply told her it is because our parents have struggled so much and we have heard so many stores about their struggles (i.e- my dad used the moonlight to read his books in primary school) that we can't help but take advantage of a world of opportunity. I think some people take it for granted and don't realize how much of a blessing it is to be able to acquire an education in the US, it's like people are blind to how far an education can really take them... Whoa, I totally digressed off your topic but it just peaked my interest...hehe :)

GuzzyRon

Son of the Son of Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
2 things...

Section 419 is a section of the Nigerian penal code criminalizing "advance fee fraud" and some other financial crimes. It reads in part:

"Chapter 38, Section 419 - Obtaining Property by false pretences; Cheating. Any person who by any false pretence, and with intent to defraud, obtains from any other person anything capable of being stolen, or induces any other person to deliver to any person anything capable of being stolen, is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for three years. If the thing is of the value of one thousand naira or upwards, he is liable to imprisonment for seven years. It is immaterial that the thing is obtained or its delivery is induced through the medium of a contract induced by the false pretence."

Queenshawtii

15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
^ i think it's funny here in toledo the area code is 419 so my parents are always tickled by that..

Oh snap! yall started talking about food.. Just checkin in to the thread..I'm I love yam and stew or yam and egg basically yam and anything together.

I'm in Toledo,Ohio
I attend University of Toledo

Im applying this cycle and so far i have been rejected by
UCinncinati
deferred to OSU's post bacc program

I have an interview at Wayne State on March 16 so far..

bola

MSIV (yikes!!)
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Nigerian international student

Shunned or rejected:Case, Vandy -Rejected, like 10 others - no news
Interviewed/Decision pending: Dartmouth, Indiana,Pritzker, Northwestern, BU, Cleveland Clinic
Placed on hold: Waitlisted-Cleveland Clinic
Accepted:Indiana
Of your acceptance(s), where are you most likely to attend and why: Indiana for obvious reasons

dsh

SDN Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Quick question, is the economic situation or something better in Nigeria such that emigration to the United States is much more feasible? I know way more Nigerians than immigrants from other African countries.

Queenshawtii

15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
Status (Visible)
^ I've been told that 50% of the population wants to leave. either to UK or the US. I don't remember where that stat came from though

senioritaelena, you have a PM.

largeman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Igbo man, applying as an International Student in the next cycle. So happy we finally have this thread. Nigerians are taking over the world!

Favorite Dish: Rice and Stew (keep it simple)

Btw Any naijas in the NY area?

Rubyc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey y'all Nigerian (igbo 4rm Anambra st) here.
The 419 scam saga is just a bad side of most Nigerian pple like every country has. Its only now gathering attn bcos of the greedy foreigners trying 2 get in on easy money.
Is it right?, of course not. Every single one involved should go 2 jail:D

Btw i only wanted 2 rep my country:love:

icecoldalpha06

Striving For Success...
10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
:eek: Is anyone getting nervous as the big bad month of March is getting closer?? I can honestly say that I am because 4 of the schools i have interviewed at said i would hear from them around early/mid March...sooooo..the butterflies are slowly forming..but im dealing with it by praying and reading books to keep my mind off of things? Anyone else on this boat??

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.